Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In all seriousness, has an advertisement ever worked on you?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

In all seriousness, has an advertisement ever worked on you?

Sep 20, 2020, 5:17 AM

I genuinely can not remember a single time that an advertisement actually persuaded me to buy a product that I wasn't already committed to buying and had previous knowledge of.

MAYBE the advertisement from McDonald's that the "Shamrock Shake" was back on the menu, but I would have learned of that word-of-mouth either way.

Just seems that we are so inundated with ads that it completely undermines the point of actually catching your attention.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

internet ads.... no Billboards on the interstate.. yep***

Sep 20, 2020, 6:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree about billboards. On a trip every now and then one

Sep 20, 2020, 9:43 AM

will work, usually when looking for food or gas!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes,***

Sep 20, 2020, 7:12 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In all seriousness, has an advertisement ever worked on you?

Sep 20, 2020, 7:37 AM

It’s not about buying immediately. It’s about exposing you to the product, brand, etc. It’s playing on your psychology.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe it's just my personality type, but

Sep 20, 2020, 8:17 AM

I find myself even compelled to deliberately not get something in the event I see advertisements for it (looking at you, Apple products).

Hell, maybe that's how they're getting me right there. I'm sure their algorithm knows exactly who and how I am at this point.

I always root for the underdog, corporate or otherwise.

So, you have no brand loyalty?***

Sep 20, 2020, 1:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2020, 7:41 AM

I've never understood why companies keep repeating their phone number on radio ads. No once in my 60 years have I ever remembered or written down a number to call them.

Call us at 1-800-227-2770...repeat 1-800-227-2770...that's 1-800-277-2770...yes, 1-800-277-2770...

They're right up there with Joe Biden's record player.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2020, 7:45 AM

Well if they don't work, there's going to be some very disappointed company executives who spend billions & billions $$$ each year on advertising.

Sep 20, 2020, 7:52 AM

Yeah... not like they have teams of people who determine their ad yields. ??

People have no idea how ‘watched’ they really are. iPhone audio, google searches, etc.

Sep 20, 2020, 8:13 AM

I remember as a kid. Watching Saturday morning cartoons, commercials would come on for GI Joe action figures and their accessories. Man I just had to have them. Also later on new original Nintendo game commercials. Now later in life it’s food. Sometimes I see a food commercial and boom I’m in the car heading to what ever restaurant has unlimited shrimp.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sort of - the internet has been a game changer.

Sep 20, 2020, 8:17 AM

Old fashioned ads certainly influenced me, but I can't say they ever actually caused me to pull the trigger on a purchase.

BUT, since the internet is "smart" and the ads you see are based on your previous searches and purchases, internet ads have definitely persuaded me to purchase. For example, when I see LL Bean ads and I have already searched on LL Bean, but the ad shows stuff I didn't see in my own search, then I have definitely pulled the trigger on things I would not have otherwise purchased.

Welcome to the machine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"WHERE'S THE BEEF?"

Sep 20, 2020, 8:29 AM

I was already a Wendy's customer, but that ad campaign made me feel better about it.

No. But they work on other people. And that's a good thing.

Sep 20, 2020, 9:22 AM

Gives us a lot of marketing jobs, and a lot of useful stuff on the internet we'd have to pay for if ads didn't work. Kind of like credit cards. You would not have access to a large line of credit if people didn't spend too much on them and make minimum payments so the lenders could profit.

Be glad the world isn't like us. It works to our benefit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there's a huge portion of the population that are gullible***

Sep 20, 2020, 9:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: there's a huge portion of the population that are gullible***

Sep 20, 2020, 9:39 AM

Yes and there is also corporate ego. The Bon Secours arena in Greenville is a great example of how to waste $5 million for naming a building. I'm sure that has really been a money maker.

Sep 20, 2020, 9:47 AM

They work on everyone whether you realize it or not. An ad probably worked on you this past week and you don’t even know it did

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic