Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In advance of the Braves game today...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,110

In advance of the Braves game today...

Oct 1, 2020, 12:41 PM

I switched the TV over to ESPN.

The show that was on had several of their talking heads ranting incessantly about the disparity of minority coaches in professional sports; particularly the NBA.

The basic premise of their haranguing was that since there are a large number of players in professional sports who are black, those leagues should all have more black coaches and failing to do so is patently racist.

Maybe it just me, but when it comes to filling a position, shouldn't the goal be to find the most qualified person available regardless of race or sex.

That said, it seem to me that lobbying for professional sports, or any employer for that matter, to hire more minorities simply because they're minorities, is in and of itself patent racism and incredibly hypocritical.

Again...maybe that's just me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: In advance of the Braves game today...

Oct 1, 2020, 12:47 PM

These conversations lead to rules like the one in the NFL mandating that at least 1 minority coach be interviewed for an open position.

Now, a few years later and multiple minority coaches have spoken out against the rule because they are tired of being contacted for jobs to simply meet a quota. They have expressed that they only want interviews if they are being considered for a job, which is totally understandable.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2020, 1:12 PM

I somewhat agree, but I do think there have been some inconsistencies in some of the NBA head coach positions.

Jason Kidd comes to mind as a former white player who was hired as a head coach a back in 2013 with no experience at all. Just a few weeks ago Steve Nash was named the head coach of the Nets even though he has no experience not only as a head coach, but he's also never even been an assistant coach before. The interim coach for the Nets through the final 12 games of this season is black and has several years of experience as an assistant including coaching under Gregg Popovich who is widely regarded as the best coach in the NBA currently.

I'm not saying these hires were made due to racism, and I actually don't think it's racism actually. I think it's a product of hires being made based on who the owners/GM's are comfortable with, and honestly people are most comfortable with people who are like themselves. I certainly don't think it's on purpose or to be about hate, but it would certainly suck for a black assistant coach trying to work his way up the ladder only to see a recently retired white player who's never coached before in his life get the job ahead of you.

Message was edited by: clemson2003®

Oct 1, 2020, 1:44 PM

Buddy, Jason Kidd is multiracial. He is not white as you put it.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,110
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic