Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m sorry not to trying to beat a deadhouse but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

I’m sorry not to trying to beat a deadhouse but

Jun 14, 2020, 10:24 PM

What is the difference between Calhoun and Clemson? I can understand and actually agree with the Tillman rename.

It was Calhoun’s land and he was VP of the USA from a time way before Tillman.

I hate to say it but this will definitely be used against us in recruiting. I pray they never change the name Clemson but seriously what was so much worse about Calhoun?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson was a Yankee from Philly.

Jun 14, 2020, 10:28 PM

Slavery is o.k. when Yankees do it, apparently.

You know, people like Grant and Lincoln.

This exposes philosophical inconsistency...

Jun 14, 2020, 10:30 PM

the argument has been made that Clemson has evolved past being a name, and is now a brand.

Re: I’m sorry not to trying to beat a deadhouse but

Jun 14, 2020, 10:45 PM

yeah lots of recruits choose schools because of the name of the honors program I'm sure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2020, 10:49 PM

What I meant is that now all of this has gotten in the public’s consciousness it will now be used against us negatively

Jun 14, 2020, 10:51 PM

We are so far past that stuff from years ago at Clemson it isnt funny. Clemson is special because of the people and the atmosphere. That hasnt changed

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2020, 11:51 PM

Read this and you should see the difference. Calhoun was a powerful man and used his positions to expound on and support slavery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Calhoun

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 15, 2020, 9:40 AM

What's up with that painting ? He's got a shocked and surprised look on his face .
Was he watching the hand maiden rinse her delicates ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 15, 2020, 8:31 AM

The best way to deal with dead horses is to stop swinging and wait a LONG time to see if the horse is really dead. I suggest the dead horse watching time period be longer than the dead horse beating time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2020, 9:21 AM

So if the university changes its name and the town of Clemson remains the same what’s the point? It would be dumb.

Jun 15, 2020, 9:41 AM

Think then they'd just call it The University surrounded by Clemson .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

The University formerly known as Clemson?***

Jun 15, 2020, 9:45 AM

Clemson

Re: The University formerly known as Clemson?***

Jun 15, 2020, 10:25 AM

Actually I think Clemson University is not located within the city limits of the City of Clemson. I believe Clemson University is actually a separate municipality chartered by the State of South Carolina. The Town of Clemson did not exist until after Clemson College came into existence. The Town of Calhoun was located around the railway station in in the present area of Calhoun Corners. When Clemson College started classes the Calhoun merchants started moving their businesses to the area next to the campus so they could better serve the students. The City of Clemson was chartered in 1943.

Jun 15, 2020, 10:18 AM

you mean aside from one of them being an active advocate of the civil war who repeatedly made statements concerning the necessity of slavery for the furtherance of the southern agrarian white society he was lucky enough to inhabit?

Jun 15, 2020, 10:38 AM

Other that just being a previous owner of the land, Calhoun has 0% to do with the formation of the University.

In fact, between Calhoun's ownership and TG Clemson's ownership, the estate was publicly auctioned to my knowledge. Ownership forked to a different heir with an outstanding debt (the dies during the civil war) and then other descendants had to re-purchase the property.

I do not know the *history* of this person, but for all consistant logic, you could name the Honors college belong to Dr. James McElhenny and it would track the same for Calhoun unless you go the politics route...

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic