Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
VICE: Why college athletes don't get paid. Former Clemson CB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

VICE: Why college athletes don't get paid. Former Clemson CB

Feb 9, 2020, 11:41 AM

Martin Jenkins states his case.

Interesting perspectives on both sides.

https://youtu.be/IaNgHkTBrRs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m pretty sure injuries aren’t the only thing

Feb 9, 2020, 12:26 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m pretty sure injuries aren’t the only thing

Feb 9, 2020, 12:55 PM

They didn't leave that out. The MSU AD actually states almost the same figures.

I don't expect a free agency, but NCAA is going to lose. A lot. Stipends will increase, potential marketing on likeness, etc...

If supply and demand have shown us anything, the better players will benefit more. Jerseys, video games, wheaties boxes, whatever. The more you do, the more you make.

Colleges don't need to put kids on payroll. Nike, Reebok, and others will do enough damage

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2020, 1:45 PM

yeah but how many college football players are actually gonna get sponsored by companies like Adidas, Reebok, or Nike? A few P5 Qb's and maybe the 5 best WR's and a few running backs. On the defensive side, use this past year, Chase Young, Isaiah Simmons, aaaand who else? maybe that stingley kid at LSU? There are not that many nationally recognized college names out there. No one even knew who Joe Burrow was till like the 6th game of his 5th year in college. It'll just be a select few getting paid by the big boys.

Feb 9, 2020, 2:04 PM

There is money to be made by non superstars. Social media influencers can make a little scratch. I believe there was a punter at some Florida school (maybe USF) who was making a decent living off of YouTube before the NCAA shut him down.

If allowed, I think female athletes stand to benifit the most. The wife and I watched a Netflix show Cheer. One girl was making enough to support her family (they were mooching off her) as an influencer.

Feb 9, 2020, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m pretty sure injuries aren’t the only thing ]

This will be how ESPN screws Clemson, and any other small market upstart.

Just like they control who gets Heisman love, ESPN will hype players from the SEC and their preferred Blue Bloods (Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc.) and ignore Isaiah Simmons-type players that choose Clemson. Those other players will get the sponsorship dough and the argument will be why would any good player go to Clemson?

They’ve tried this gambit with the over the top SEC hype and saying all good players would want to play against the best, which is obviously only in the SEC. But Dabo blew that myth to pieces.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: VICE: Why college athletes don't get paid. Former Clemson CB

Feb 9, 2020, 2:20 PM

The NCAA is the most un-American organization in the USA. Colleges got together back in the day b/c they were sick of paying players and came up with this "amateurism" so they can keep the money. Players used to take a pay cut when they went pro. Yes, you can never put a price tag on education, but most schools aren't like Clemson.

You go to college for one reason and one reason only.... to increase your income earning potential. If you take a kid in the major revenue producing sports (football, basketball), you for a good portion of them taking a kid that would never be in college had it not been for their athleticism and trying to make them a college student.

The school, booster and coaches make hundreds of millions of dollars.... off the sweat of kids.

If a kid wants to go pro and can... they should. Any argument telling them to stay in school is biased towards wanting your team to perform better, not the best interest of the kid. Even if they only make one or two years, the money they would earn would far exceed the amount of money they would earn after obtaining a college degree.

How come no one complains about the golf, tennis, swimmer or gymnast that "goes pro" when they are 15 ?? We only complain about the mostly African American kid that plays football or basketball.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic