Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ND NBC contract and SEC/CBS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

ND NBC contract and SEC/CBS

Jul 27, 2020, 11:18 AM

Notre Dame has a $15 million per season contract with NBC that last through 2025 (7 games).

The SEC has a $55 million per season contract with CBS that last through 2023 (15 games).

The SEC just negotiated a $300+ million dollar contract with ABC/ESPN to carry those 15 games.

If the ACC/ND agreed on conference alignment starting in 2025 it has the opportunity to negotiate not only the ND deal, but also the ACC package and conference championship game. What could be the max value of those contracts?

Even with Swoffy leading the negotiations I think 100 million is the minimum the ACC could get to that package. 34 million in 2019 and the additions from the ACC network coming, ND could be looking at $45 million starting in 2025. Could they get that independent of the ACC for 7 games or at least $39 million to equal the current cut of the distribution?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: ND NBC contract and SEC/CBS

Jul 27, 2020, 11:26 AM

If the ND-to-the-ACC thing happens, wonder if the ACC would try to buy out some of the ND-vs-ACC games between now and 2025 and take those to ESPN as part of a package.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 12:19 PM

First they have to have ND agree to start negotiations. Then shop the contract with and without buy back with NBC, CBS, and ESPN. Also shopping a 16th team (Navy) with the providers. A lot of moving parts but a 5 year window to come to agreement.

null

I'm curious...

Jul 27, 2020, 1:36 PM

where this ridiculous notion of adding any of the service academies to the ACC started.

That makes even less sense than adding teams like UCF or East Carolina.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I'm curious...

Jul 27, 2020, 1:42 PM

Agree, a service academy would do zero for the ACC. I could see East Carolina because they have a decent fan base

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Jul 27, 2020, 2:50 PM

ECU or UCF adds zero too. ACC is already in their state TV markets. Teams like Cincy or Memphis would add new states and markets translating to TV $$$$$.

West Virginia would/would've made the most sense***

Jul 27, 2020, 1:45 PM [ in reply to I'm curious... ]

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I agree, adding a service academy is a really stupid idea.

Jul 27, 2020, 1:47 PM [ in reply to I'm curious... ]

It adds nothing, other than the fact that it's cool to see the cadets wear their uniforms to games.

Is it great that these young men devote their careers to serving our country? Absolutely! Are those great schools that prepare future leaders? Yes, for sure. But I don't think that adds value to the ACC.

Service academies simply can't recruit on the level other ACC teams can. Plus, adding any service academy doesn't bring additional TV markets or meaningful revenue to the ACC or its member institutions.

If people think Wake Forest is bad, they have no idea how much worse a service academy would be in the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I don't have inside sources.. but logic

Jul 27, 2020, 1:58 PM [ in reply to I'm curious... ]

Suggests that west point and uconn were mentioned because their independent conference standings (no fooling with conference buyouts or law suits) ..and proximity to the other yankee schools.

Plus.. if they acc picks up army and nd... that is like 100 footbal championships.

I'm not sure any of these conferences really care about putting together power house conferences. The media and fans propagate power rankings, the conferences just want money.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 27, 2020, 2:46 PM [ in reply to I'm curious... ]

Going to respond here to the 4 post below. Just a few considerations for Navy that most of the other schools mentioned do not add:

1) Rival with ND and reduces the burden of future ND scheduling

2) Adds the geographical DC, MD, VA TV market. If you don't think the DC area watches Navy football try living there for a while. Also the distributed Navy fan base nationally.

3) Finished in the Top 25 twice in the last 5 years with 11 win seasons.

Yes, a school like UCF is likely a better fit due to the size of the fan base. It doesn't add a new TV region and I'm guessing Florida St. and Miami do not want another FL school in a power conference.

null

Jul 27, 2020, 2:55 PM

That's right. Teams like Memphis and Cincy would make more sense over UCF by adding new states and territories. It would push the ACC either into SEC or Big 10 states with either Memphis or Cincy.

Jul 27, 2020, 3:03 PM

Cincy has a large undergraduate enrollment and would be close by to 3 other ACC schools. Not sure I couldn't get behind Memphis.

null

Jul 27, 2020, 3:27 PM

ND/Navy would be an interesting combo to seal up the ACC. Navy would give the Hail, Hail crowd a nocturnal emission every other year if they got put in the Atlantic Division...

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic