Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm a bad person (long, and cathartic)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

I'm a bad person (long, and cathartic)

Nov 11, 2019, 8:11 PM

I never listen to Gamecock radio, or visit their websites, or watch their TV shows or podcasts. I even avoid my own Gamecock relatives. But today I was driving around scanning radio stations, and I stumbled onto a Gamecock radio talk show.

Normally, I would have moved on immediately once I heard the topic, but for some reason the caller sounded so distraught, so broken, and so sad that he caught my attention. I paused in a moment of weakness. I thought he might be weeping. He blubbered around a bit about the SEC, and strangely stopped on Arkansas. I wasn't sure where he was going, but in time, in a meek, mousy, feeble way, he wondered aloud if Chad Morris MIGHT ever consider come back to coaching as an offensive coordinator...maybe even for the Gamecocks?
It was so stupid, so pathetic, so desperate it turned my stomach. I know now that I should have felt some sympathy for him. Clearly his mind wasn't right. His voice was so weak, so desperate, so shaky, even to the point of trembling and cracking as he grasped for some, any, ray of hope for the future.

But instead, and much to my surprise, I got angry. Even switched the radio off in my rage. And that bothered me. Where was my compassion? The love for my fellow man? What had I become to simply scoff at another person in such obvious pain and anguish? And so mentally unstable?

It shocked me to find I wasn't concerned with his plight in the least. I could have cared less about his lame dirt ###### problems. I was completely hard-hearted to his painful coot burden. I didn't even want to hear him air his desperate, delusional, pathetic dreams. And what's more, I was fine with it.

I drove around in silence for a while, contemplating my primal, gut reaction to just turn the sniveling sap off as he morosely laid out his tedious woes about his team. Then I though about all the flying bottles, and the dumpster sex, and the under-stadium meth dens, and the doo-doo ice, and the pathetic 5 bombs they teach their children, and their stupid mullets, and the mug shots, and cock-a-booses, and moronic fire extinguisher/2001 entry tradition, and “sandstorm” and I just went cold on him.

I thought, “You don't have to do this. You can get help. No one is making you pull for the Gamecocks. It's a conscious choice.” I know some call it a sickness, and it may be, but it's still a choice. You pull for Bama without an ounce of shame or loyalty. Why not just dump the Gamecocks with that same lack of shame and loyalty? What type of person puts themselves through such anguish for no purpose whatsoever? Why perpetuate the cycle of sorrow from your grandfather, to your father, to you, to your son and to their sons? Break the chain, man. Ease your burden. Dump your baggage. Choose Life.

And in that moment I realized, and I confess, that I just can't muster even one ounce of sympathy for them. When they lose to Tennessee. When they lose to App State. When they are embarrassed over and over and over again before the nation. I just don't care. In fact, I take joy in it. I thought I was a better person, but I must acknowledge my limitations and weaknesses. It turns out that when it comes to sympathy for Gamecock Football, I'm just a bad person. I've hardened my heart. I've turned away my better Angels. I've accepted the dark side. Today, a chance run in with a radio program showed me that. I have come to terms with it and accepted it. And in short, I'm Ok with that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm a bad person (long, and cathartic)

Nov 11, 2019, 8:33 PM

Too Funny! Thanks for the humor. Yes, there are many like you who have this syndrome and refuse to seek help. But laughter is the best medicine and you'll probably heal yourself.

Nov 11, 2019, 8:48 PM

But what if it isn't healing we're looking for, what if it's just wanting to hear more of those lovely painful coot stories we want to hear about!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2019, 8:54 PM

I'm with you, allorange!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2019, 8:45 PM

What a great story, and I love hearing how pathetic, and hurt they are over that trash dump team. You must celebrate that garbage in pain!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

<Clap> <Clap> <Clap>

Nov 11, 2019, 8:46 PM

Well said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2019, 8:52 PM

That was long, but well worth the read. Kudos for the, obviously, genuine compassion for your fellow man, but even more kudos for your coming to grips with the fact that people make choices. Life is full of choices - some good, but some bad, and in fact, some are very bad. Coot fans have chosen poorly, and deep down in the pit of their souls they know they are making the poor choice of becoming a coot. I hate it for them (even more for their families, especially their little children), but God gave us free will. The correct pathway is there for them. It's up to them to choose wisely. The fault, and the consequences of poor choices, is theirs alone. I hope they back up and rethink their positions and choose wisely next time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I too am a bad person....my wife badder than me....

Nov 11, 2019, 8:57 PM

often venturing to FGF to soak in their tears and laugh at their misfortune. It feels good to be bad.

Nov 11, 2019, 8:58 PM

I'm with you . It's my only vice.

did he sound like this guy?

Nov 11, 2019, 9:32 PM

if so, I love it.

https://youtu.be/zXWuKRlBmVE

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Coots are a nonsubject to me.

Nov 11, 2019, 9:40 PM

They exist one week a year then back to oblivion with them all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2019, 9:58 PM

You forgot the surrender towels they waive en masse at the start of every game in Willie B.

Nov 11, 2019, 9:59 PM

You also forgot that ridiculously annoying rooster noise and the High School like "3rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd Ddddoooooowwwwwwnnnn"

Schadenfreude should be a guiltless pleasure

Nov 11, 2019, 10:05 PM

Ain't nothing wrong with that. :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic