Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Georgia signed the number one player from South Carolina
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Georgia signed the number one player from South Carolina

Dec 17, 2020, 2:59 PM

This year‘s top player in state was a DE signed by Georgia. Did we recruit this kid? I don’t remember hearing much about him. I know we signed three DL and we’re hoping to get foreman, but what’s the deal with this kid from South Carolina? Seems like he would have been a priority recruit for us. Anyone know the story?

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we didn't recruit him, it may be because our coaches

Dec 17, 2020, 3:02 PM

didn't feel he would fit within the system or a player who wasn't teachable or of low character. Georgia thrives off of those types.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: If we didn't recruit him, it may be because our coaches

Dec 17, 2020, 3:08 PM

I didn’t say we did not recruit him. I don’t know whether we did or did not. I don’t tend to follow recruiting that closely except when it comes to the really big name guys. That’s why I asked the question. Did we recruit him? If not, why. Like I said I don’t follow recruiting that closely but when I saw his name yesterday and that he signed with Georgia I thought it was interesting and he is supposed to be an elite defensive end but I have honestly never heard of the guy.

Dec 17, 2020, 3:15 PM

247Sports doesn’t list Clemson as offering him. He had 26 offers with 22 of them from Power 5 schools. FSU, GT, NCST, UNC, SYR, & VT offered from ACC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 3:20 PM

He’s listed as 11th best DT & Payton Page is 7th.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 6:50 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said, plus he had stinky feet and a rip roaring case of chronic halitosis.

Dec 17, 2020, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: If we didn't recruit him, it may be because our coaches ]

appears we did not recruit him per this website https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Tyrion-Ingram-Dawkins-129752/RecruitInterests/

Dec 17, 2020, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: If we didn't recruit him, it may be because our coaches ]

He said “if.”

He’s going to Georgia so he’ll probably fit in better there with their losing culture.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard he and Josh Belk were good buddies...

Dec 17, 2020, 4:18 PM [ in reply to If we didn't recruit him, it may be because our coaches ]

He was overrated, we didn't want him anyway, probably

Dec 17, 2020, 3:11 PM

wasn't going to qualify for acceptance at Clemson, off field issues that would've been a problem in the locker room...

Did I hit all of them?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Take it to the bank folks***

Dec 17, 2020, 3:50 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was overrated, we didn't want him anyway, probably

Dec 17, 2020, 4:08 PM [ in reply to He was overrated, we didn't want him anyway, probably ]

The way Clemson does it, if they are only taking one guy at a particular position they pick a player out and they offer only that player. Having a recruit receive the only offer Clemson is handing out is a MAJOR selling point Clemson uses to their benefit and has worked numerous times. Some notable guys it has worked with, Watson, Lawrence, DJU among others. So it has nothing to do whether they liked him, if he could qualify or wasn't good enough and yes I know you were being sarcastic but I find it odd more fans don't know Clemson's recruiting tactics a little better.

Dec 17, 2020, 4:12 PM

Does that tactic bite Clemson sometimes, yes but it has paid off WAY more than it hasn't. If you remember also Page was a 5 star early in his recruitment. Some say he coasted a little bit through his junior year plus add in the fact he didn't play his senior year bc of the tyrannical Governor of North Carolina Roy "Commie" Cooper and that is why his ranking has dipped over the past year.

Dec 17, 2020, 4:30 PM

Yes I’m aware of that tactic and it does seem to be effective like our rule of not taking other visits after committing. It seems to work most of the time but not always. But I think both are smart recruiting tactics. Frankly, I don’t understand why a kid would want to take other visits after committing anyway. If it’s simply about taking those five trips and having your ### kissed and getting the attention then go ahead and do that before committing.

I know nothing about that situation, but I do know that

Dec 17, 2020, 3:11 PM

there are kids out there who are absolutely obsessed with the idea of playing their football in the Pawl Finebaum Conference. No amount of recruiting would ever change their minds. Some, although not many at this time, are even desperate enough to play at South Carolina, which although Sun Belt or less quality wise, is still technically in the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sad but true

Dec 17, 2020, 3:44 PM

The coots do in fact get recruits for no other reason than being in the SEC. Fortunately not enough to matter.

Re: I know nothing about that situation, but I do know that

Dec 17, 2020, 3:51 PM [ in reply to I know nothing about that situation, but I do know that ]

Who exactly are some of these kids? Surely you have some examples and quotes from some of them.

Dec 17, 2020, 4:03 PM

Are you seriously doubting this? I’ve heard kids that committed to ACC schools in basketball say part of the reason they went to that school was because they always dreamed of playing basketball in the ACC. I have in fact heard many kids over the years when they signed a scholarship to play football at an SEC school say a big part of the decision was because they always dreamed of playing in the SEC. This includes kids going to South Carolina over the last 5 to 7 years. I can’t remember specific names. I can’t go and find you the proof in black-and-white. But I know for a fact many kids that have signed with South Carolina over the last 5 to 10 years state that South Carolina being in the SEC was a big part of why they went to South Carolina. This is pretty basic, knowledge. ACC and basketball. SEC in football. I’m sure there are kids that play soccer in the ACC because they know the ACC is the best soccer conference. Why wouldn’t you want to go to a school that competes in the best conference in a particular sport? I’m surprised anyone with any common sense would think this was untrue.

Dec 17, 2020, 9:41 PM

See you moved the goal posts there. Of coarse players commit to schools in certain leagues as a part of their decision. That factors in but is not the sole reason they go there.

But that’s not what you said. You said players are going to USuCk for “no other reason than they paying in the sec “. I just have never heard a player say the only reason they went to a school was because it was in the sec. If so, I’d be interested in who said that.

Page was their guy,only taking one DT this time

Dec 17, 2020, 3:12 PM

Page was #1 DT in the Nation when he committed. After commitment 247 dropped him like a ROCK TO MOVE OTHERS AHEAD

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&Position=DT

Re: Page was their guy,only taking one DT this time

Dec 17, 2020, 3:32 PM

Why do you say things that are so easily proven false? 247 dropped page in Feb 2020 and then again in April 2020. He committed in July 2020.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Payton-Page-at-Dudley-227178/RecruitRankHistory/?history=top247

Page dropped because his junior year film was not good. He put on a bunch of bad weight. It had nothing to do with committing to Clemson.

Page was known to be a Clemson Lock when Wiltfong CB'd

Dec 17, 2020, 3:39 PM

him to Clemson Jan 2020 LOL

Re: Page was known to be a Clemson Lock when Wiltfong CB'd

Dec 17, 2020, 3:56 PM

So you think 247 dropped him that many spots SOLELY because he committed to Clemson?

If so that’s pretty funny.

247 was the only one to drop him that DRASTIALLY

Dec 17, 2020, 4:01 PM

Still #4 on Rivals and ESPN,#16 DT on 247.

No it's not just Clemson. 247 has history of pushing Uncommitted players up to drive subscriptions. They ALL do it, just not as drastically .

Exactly TL was #1 for a long time then after signing

Dec 17, 2020, 4:09 PM

With Clemson Fields moved to #1 and TL dropped to #2.

But oddly enough a lot of kids get bumped up after signing with Bama.

Re: Exactly TL was #1 for a long time then after signing

Dec 17, 2020, 5:46 PM

Fields moved above Lawrence because he had arguably the best camp/7v7 circuit ever for a QB. Once the pads got back on and real games were played Lawrence jumped back up over Fields. ESPN was the only one that had Fields above Lawrence at the end and that's because ESPN doesn't actually watch game film, they just judge based on large camps, much like Rivals.

Dec 17, 2020, 6:14 PM

But ESPN did in fact move fields ahead of Lawrence after Lawrence signed with Clemson and he stayed number one and as far as the average sports fan goes ESPN is the recruiting expert because people that don’t follow recruiting like rabid college football fans have probably never heard of rivals or 24/7. But everyone has heard of ESPN so their recruiting rankings carry more weight for the general public and the casual fan. And because ESPN carries the overwhelming majority of college football games you constantly hear them saying that Fields was the number one recruit coming out of high school ahead of Lawrence.

Dec 17, 2020, 7:54 PM

Anyone who's following college football closely enough to care about recruiting knows that 247 has the best in house ratings followed by Rivals followed by your drunk uncle who can still chuck a football over them mountains followed by ESPN.

You also hear ESPN talking about how Lawrence is the surefire #1 pick over Fields despite their on-field performance being comparable. There's no grand conspiracy against Clemson. ESPN's recruiting service is just inept.

Dec 17, 2020, 9:00 PM

I didn’t say there was a conspiracy against Clemson. Also the reason Trevor Lawrence is going to go ahead to fields is because TL is the prototypical NFL quarterback. Field’s is a really good college quarterback but he’s not Deshaun Watson or Mahomes etc.

Where are you ranked coming out of high school has absolutely nothing to do with how you get drafted going into the NFL. The college game and the pro gamer are completely different. Tajh Boyd was a great college quarterback but he’ll never make it in the NFL and he tried and didn’t get very far. He doesn’t have good enough accuracy. He was made to look very good by a lot of amazing wide receivers at Clemson.

Some kid peak in high school. Other kids peak in college. And then you have guys like Tom Brady that get drafted in the sixth round and become Hall of Famer ‘s. It also depends heavily on playing for a good coaching staff playing in the right offense having good players around you developing along the way in your career. There are dozens of factors that go into a kid going from high school to the NFL besides raw physical talent.

Re: 247 was the only one to drop him that DRASTIALLY

Dec 17, 2020, 5:42 PM [ in reply to 247 was the only one to drop him that DRASTIALLY ]

247 is also the only one that has a staff big enough to judge more than camp performance. ESPN's recruiting rankings are trash and Rivals are strongly biased towards people who go to their camps, which Page did.

Re: Page was known to be a Clemson Lock when Wiltfong CB'd

Dec 17, 2020, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Page was known to be a Clemson Lock when Wiltfong CB'd ]

Lol no he wasn't. There was questioning after he visited UNC in Feb and Tennessee in March.

We did not offer Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins***

Dec 17, 2020, 3:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Georgia signed the number one player from South Carolina

Dec 17, 2020, 3:14 PM

Kid was a "Coot" lock before the shat show down there hit the fan. Clemson would not have ever been in the running. Clemson does not recruit Gaffney very much and I cant say I blame them, and I am from Gaffney. T.L. Hannah absolutely smashed them with the triple option. Ran 10 plays over and over again and they could not stop it. Kid is good on pass rushing downs, but not so much in the run game.

Dec 17, 2020, 3:54 PM

Being from Charleston and not following high school football state wide I am not in the loop but I have heard for years that Greenwood, Rock Hill and Gaffney are big time cootervilles!

If true that sucks b/c a lot of talent comes out of Gaffney and Rock Hill.

According to 247, ONLY 3 were even offered (link)

Dec 17, 2020, 3:57 PM

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2021-Football/Offers/

Re: According to 247, ONLY 3 were even offered (link)

Dec 17, 2020, 6:46 PM

There you go again MRTTMT, you and your fancy pants facts. Tnet is based on opinion, speculation, un-named sources, and feeble attempts at sarcasm. After nearly 10 years you should know the rules. Sheesh.

Dec 17, 2020, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia signed the number one player from South Carolina ]

Not sure why that is for Greenwood but it does seem to be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks guys!

Dec 17, 2020, 4:26 PM

Basically it sounds like this guy was a gamecock fan and was never going to be interested in Clemson and we did not recruit him or offer him combined with the fact that we were only gonna taking one DT in this cycle and we targeted Page early on and had him at the top of our board. Rightfully so as he is rated higher.

we had Cory Forman committed***

Dec 17, 2020, 7:59 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we had Cory Forman committed***

Dec 17, 2020, 9:12 PM

Foreman is a DE the kid in South Carolina is a DT

We have 3 DL signees-1 DT Page and 2 DE’s

Page was the guy we wanted and the other kid is a coot, assuming everything I’m reading here is correct, which I have no reason to think is not the truth.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic