Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week.

Oct 31, 2019, 5:58 PM

Somebody explain this to me. (BTW, I know I just used improper punctuation. Just trying to fit in.)

Somebody explain this to me:

After 8 weeks of the season the ACC has two teams with a losing record (one in each division).
The SEC has 6 teams with a losing record:
Ark, MS ST, Ole Miss, USC, Vandy, TN.

Those six teams should be playing close to .500 in conference and blowing teams away OOC, right?

Their OOC record is 8-9. Man, they must be playing a tough OOC schedule.

If I did my math correctly, they are 0-4 against Power Five Schools. But, they have managed to beat Portland State, SE LA, and Chattanooga.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week.

Oct 31, 2019, 6:03 PM

ACC has better parity in the middle of the pack and SEC has more top level teams (GA, Bama, FLA, AUB, LSU). There’s really no comparison.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2019, 6:12 PM

Everyone of those teams are overrated

Oct 31, 2019, 6:13 PM

Maybe compared to us but not compared to the rest of the ACC

Oct 31, 2019, 6:32 PM

ACC playing against ACC plus their cupcake teams can look better than the SEC teams, but if it were ACC teams playing against SEC teams, I doubt there would be a winning record with any of them with the exception of Clemson. Believe it or not but, the SEC is better than the ACC team against team IMO!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2019, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

We hear that every year. The SEC is the best conference period. There have been several years that the SEC tanks in bowls games and nobody revisits all the hype.

Alabama and UGA were supposedly the cream of the crop last year and look what happened.

Oct 31, 2019, 11:54 PM

The SEC is not the best overall P5 conference.

But the ACC is the worst P5 conference overall. Which I guess can be considered quite an accomplishment when that conference also has the best team in the nation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2019, 8:12 AM

Who is the best overall power 5 conference?

Nov 1, 2019, 10:10 AM

Hard to say, and it is just my opinion as I sit in my Mom's basement with an empty ice cream carton, listening to my Zune with my three favorite cats at my feet.

I will say the ACC is the most 'competitive' within it's own conference. Aside from Clemson, Im not sure anyone is confident in who will conference games. The Big 12 appears to be competitive in this way as well. Heck, maybe even more so than the ACC.

PAC 12 - well dang they are looking the same as the ACC and Big 12. Oregon has established itself as the #1 and then there is the rest that beats each other up.

So that leave us with the other two.

SEC has five very good teams and a couple of middle tier teams and seven or so dumpster fires. This is the opposite of competitive that we see in the other three conferences mentioned. But they have - what appears to me - to have more 'good' teams than the other three so will slot them as the #2 conference.

Guess that leaves the Big10 as my vote for best so far this season.

Time to change the litter box

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2019, 6:13 PM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

Maybe compared to us but not compared to the rest of the ACC

Oct 31, 2019, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

Yep, none of them are nearly as good as Clemson.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right! From top to bottom, the ACC is better!!***

Oct 31, 2019, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2019, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

I would not call Ga, Fla, or Auburn top level. They are over rated.

Oct 31, 2019, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

UGA= not so good
FU = not so good
UA = not so good
Bama = maybe okay
Lsu = Maybe okay

just rhetoric, a narrative that makes them seem good. As usual

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Oct 31, 2019, 9:07 PM

Which one of those teams would Wake Forest beat?

Oct 31, 2019, 9:23 PM

UGA
FU
UA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Nov 1, 2019, 8:13 AM

Lol

Nov 1, 2019, 12:41 PM

SCar beat UGA. You think SCar is better than Wake?

Oct 31, 2019, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

Florida struggled with Miami. I think Wake could hang with them, Auburn, and UGA.

Nov 1, 2019, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

I'd give Wake a shot to beat Florida and Auburn which I think are two dramatically overrated CFB teams right now .

DB23

Good points. Someone is paying attention.

Oct 31, 2019, 6:13 PM

I do think the SEC is better overall than the ACC this year but the separation is not as much as people think. A couple of years ago the ACC was clearly better but no one acknowledged that fact. The Noles, Tigers and Cards owned rivalry week. The whole idea driving their narrative is for the $EC to have a monopoly on the college football playoff and hopefully leave Clemson out because they are scared of Clemson as they should be. It’s not gonna work. The truth hurts but deep inside none of them want to see their favorite team square off against Clemson in a playoff scenario. They all saw what this offense did to Bama last year and they know all of the pieces are there. The offensive numbers are almost identical to this point in the season last year. They know we have probably what is the best defensive coordinator in college football. They are hoping and praying that we get left out especially since this team has come off its open date and is beginning to fire on all cylinders.

Re: Good points. Someone is paying attention.

Oct 31, 2019, 7:10 PM

Well, if that’s the case, unc beat the coots who beat the Top Dog in Ga, so it must not be that tough of a conference. The rest of them haven’t been exposed YET. That day is coming soon to a stadium near you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Eastern division sucks and has sucked for almost a decade.

Oct 31, 2019, 8:27 PM

The SEC East has been no better and often times worse than the ACC. However when you add the West to the East I think the SEC is better this year. I just don’t think the gap is as wide as the media would lead us to believe. The SEC is strong at the top but Auburn, GA, Florida are not the elite teams that the media would have us believe they are. I think Bama and LSU are elite. The rest of the league borders between mediocre and bad. Some of their teams are just plain bad.

The biggest difference is...

Nov 1, 2019, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Good points. Someone is paying attention. ]

the ACC has one team that is head and shoulders above the rest while the $EC has five pretty darn good teams (Bama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, and Georgia). The other nine are a bunch of bottom feeders.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 31, 2019, 6:29 PM

Not worried about your punctuation, but your spelling of weak was very weak.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been working out.

Oct 31, 2019, 8:15 PM

eNext weak I won't be two weak to look over their and see if there over they're.

Hey, I'm a Nole fan. I'm not supposed to be smart, right? :)

Re: I've been working out.

Oct 31, 2019, 8:30 PM

Give credit when credit is due, and by admitting you're dumb, I have give you credit of trying to be honest, if that is possible!!! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weak*

Oct 31, 2019, 7:33 PM

But hey you’re on a roll!

Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so “weak.”

Oct 31, 2019, 8:35 PM

Their, ben greating on me - fixed it for u

Oct 31, 2019, 9:54 PM

Since the start of last year the rest of the ACC is 6-19 against other P5 teams. The other 13 ACC teams have combined for only 2 more wins than Clemson. That’s the reason the rest of the conference has been getting no respect.

Nov 1, 2019, 12:33 AM

But 7 of those losses are to Notre Dame, who also went 1-2 vs GA and Vandy of the SEC.

Admittedly, 6-12 is still bad, but last year was worse than this year.

Sorry, this paragraph contains estimates because I'm not gonna look up the exact #s right now.
In 2018 the SEC went 51-4 in OOC games during the regular season ("when they wanted to be there".)
That was the best OOC record by a conference in history.
I think they lost 3 games to P 5 teams, 2 of them to Clemson.
We the ACC went something like 41-15 in all OOC games, and like 3-11 vs P5 during the regular season. (0-5 to Notre Dame.)

Then the post season was exactly opposite: ACC came to play, while the SEC did not.

In 2019, the SEC has already lost 11 games OOC compared to the ACC's 12.
That's in spite of the fact that only 15 of their 56 OOC games are against P 5 schools; so far this year they are 6-5 v. P5.
The two conferences still have 4 matchups left in November. At this point I expect the conferences to split those games, SEC winning FL and GA, ACC winning SC and KY. (My opinion of Louisville has gone up this month.)

The true strength of your schedule can only be demonstrated out of conference, so the gap between the SEC and ACC has diminished greatly in the last 12 months.

Nov 1, 2019, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: If the SEC is so tough and the ACC so week. ]

We get our panties in a wad about this but the fact is the SEC has some of the weakest sisters in the whole nation...First Bama, LSU are first rate schools for football...sometimes Georgia, occasionally Auburn and Florida jump in there...But then you have the Vols (too much moonshine), Kentuck gets the Bourbon award...Vandy, the two ladies schools (miss this and miss that) only rarely have a winning year...ChicFilA...and then the three duds who are not even in the southeast..and therefore should not be in the SEC...some of those schools are geographically challenged! Any day of the week Syracuse can beat Arkansas, Vandy, the two ladies schools, ChicFilA and Misery! However it really does not matter...when you put the two best schools in each conference together you can still see light between them...Clemson actually graduates football players...You know what the Texas A&M graduate says to the University of Texas graduate..."Do you want fries with that"! Nuff Said.

Nov 1, 2019, 8:20 AM

I don’t know how you can say Syracuse can easily beat those teams when they haven’t even beaten a power 5 team this year.

Nov 1, 2019, 12:30 AM

I always defend the ACC. I think last year the ACC and SEC we're at parity. Just being honest, this year is definitely different. ACC is down, really down. I don't really care because we will win the weak ACC and then thump either Bama or LSU in the n c. game.

Nov 1, 2019, 9:47 AM

Here's the truth.

The SEC has better depth at the top of the league. If Miami, FSU and VT can get their crap together, the ACC can have great depth at the top of the league. Much like the Big 10 with OSU, Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin.

The rest of the SEC: Ark, MS ST, Ole Miss, USC, Vandy, TN is no different than Wake, UNC, NC State , BC, UVA etc. They are middling programs which can have a good season and a crap season. Ark, MS ST, Ole Miss, USC, Vandy, and TN hide behind the "Big Brothers" of the SEC to justify their flaws and weaknesses.

Nov 1, 2019, 10:15 AM

USC is in the Pac12

HTH

DB23

Nov 1, 2019, 10:19 AM

Wake Forest is the 2nd best team in the ACC. Let's chill with bashing other conferences.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic