Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If stealing signs is cheating
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

If stealing signs is cheating

Jan 7, 2021, 6:17 AM

is watching game film to learn formations and plays, also?

Asking for a friend... ??

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If stealing signs is cheating

Jan 7, 2021, 6:38 AM

I kind of compare it to "holding". It's only stealing if your caught doing it.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:00 AM

Any coach not stealing signs should be fired. It's like paying taxes. Why do people do it when you don't have to? I want Clemson to have every advantage possible.

WAIT... Holding is illegal?

Jan 7, 2021, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: If stealing signs is cheating ]

nm

It’s not cheating

Jan 7, 2021, 7:17 AM

If one side holds up a picture of a poop emoji and they ran the same dive between the center and left guard, you can’t be upset when teams send 3 people into that gap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach V needs to have a capable base defense set when ....

Jan 7, 2021, 7:23 AM

the opposing offense comes to the LOS. Tigers defense looked confused on more plays than I initially thought. Out thinking opposing offenses should be a secondary tactic to simply outplaying them.

JMO ... Coach V is more than capable to figure this out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 7:30 AM

There is no rule against stealing signs. It is not cheating.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 7:56 PM

In the NFL it is cheating. And it should in college football.

So if the coach on the sideline yelled playcalls

Jan 8, 2021, 10:30 PM

to the offense and we made adjustments based on what he said, would that be cheating?

It's ridiculous to think that signals displayed in the open for the world to see should be off limits.

get more creative with your signals. problem solved.***

Jan 7, 2021, 7:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: get more creative with your signals. problem solved.***

Jan 7, 2021, 8:29 AM

It is like posting a tweet. If one puts out there to be read, expect it to be by the people one least wants to read it. It is public consumption.

Re: get more creative with your signals. problem solved.***

Jan 7, 2021, 8:47 AM [ in reply to get more creative with your signals. problem solved.*** ]

I don't get why teams don't take the same signs they used for certain plays in previous games, and use those to run a completely different play. Either that or use the sign to run a certain play in the 1st quarter, and use the same sign to run a different play in the 4th. You could obviously explain to your team ahead of time that the sign means something different depending on what quarter it's used. If a DC was stealing signs at that point then you could really use this to burn them.

It is not cheating...

Jan 7, 2021, 8:33 AM

It is a team poorly disguising what they plan to do.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:40 AM

Agreed. There's a reason why teams try to disguise their signs. It's the same reason coaches cover their mouths when speaking into their headsets. It's because they know other teams are trying to get any advantage they can get.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:55 AM

I wonder how detailed of sign reading the coaches can get. I'm assuming they aren't able to necessarily tell the exact play that's being called, but rather they may be able to pick up on something that gives them a good idea if the play is going to be a run or pass. Meaning, if you know a pass is coming up you can call for a certain type of blitz.

I've always assumed though that BV is simply waiting to see what type of formation the offense comes out with and makes an educated guess off of that for his own call.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:40 AM

It seems that Ohio State did a better job of stealing our signs than we did theirs. One way to stop that is to go back to running in plays with a different wide receiver or running back. Problem solved.

I would consider stealing signs to be an offshoot of good

Jan 7, 2021, 9:57 AM

film study. But, I would discount its value, and, if that is relied on as part of stategy, it is a crutch and poor shortcut to really doing your homework and being prepared. Signs can quickly be changed, or, teams can do what Ohio State did, and huddle. Or, you could do what the Old Ball Sac and others did, have players swap out and bring in the play on just about every snap. So much for sign stealing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stealing signs is wrong !!

Jan 7, 2021, 6:49 PM

period

Jan 8, 2021, 4:28 PM

No, it is not cheating the way Clemson did it. The issue is that Clemson was better at it then everyone. And that was a real positive for them. But then when other teams realized that Clemson was very good at stealing signs- and it took years I suppose- I don't know- Clemson's D has looked very pedestrian.

Ohio State ran through Clemson when they utilized huddle and quick count. I have a feeling other teams will copy strategy. Now we will see how good is Venables without sign stealing? He wasn't very good in Sugar Bowl.

He will have to coach his players better with fundamentals and less according to adjusting to opposing team signals.

"SAME PLAY, OTHER SIDE!"

Jan 8, 2021, 4:32 PM

Uh, coach? W T F?

Jan 8, 2021, 11:02 PM

Good poast

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic