Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie

Apr 21, 2020, 9:57 PM

next Monday, I think I can sit in the open air of the Valley this Fall. Just wish it was as simple as that - we have to have the students back in school for things to be "normal".

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With six feet of spacing? Okay.***

Apr 21, 2020, 10:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie

Apr 21, 2020, 10:03 PM

it Aint that easy....just look around...we have turned this into a political issue...If you are an (R) you want things open, if you are a (D) you want it shut down until November....that is the way its going to be until Nov. No way we can get everyone to agree on what to do until then. Its unbelievable how we can turn everything into politics.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree!***

Apr 21, 2020, 10:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: politics

Apr 21, 2020, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

We are all human. For good and bad.

What bugs all of us IMO is when we perceive a double standard or what we call hypocrisy, even though hypocrisy can take many different forms. Those perceptions tend to get us "all het up" instead of being positive and cooperative with each other.

Somehow Dabo keeps his guys focused on the goal. We the people? Not so much.

Apr 21, 2020, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

You are right it ain't that simple, but it isn't as black and white as you indicate... or as polarized. Close to 60 percent of the population don't want to open back up too soon, and Dems aren't 60 of the population.

Trump's team has laid out a plan with phases on how to open things back up based on data, science and other info. Although Trump, as usual, states one thing but says contradictory things indicating he wants things to open up sooner than later knowing some zealots will comply. Part of his plan says that cases should decline for 14 straight days before opening things up.

Zealot Republican governors in Georgia, Florida and Texas are opening things up too soon and too much according to Trump's stated plan, Fauci, and many others. Then there are more moderate zealot Republican governors like McMaster who is less radical in what he is opening and when, although one could wonder why Flea markets, etc should open up now and to why he is ignoring the plan (except he is in love with Trump).

Then there are rational Republican(e.g. Maryland) and Democratic(North Carolina) governors who are trying to follow the provided plan before opening up so much too soon. In fact, these are thankfully the majority of the Governors in the country.

So, I wonder why you think Republicans want now and Dems want November. That is not what I hear Repubs or Dems say. Can you point to sources as to why Dems want November?

I want things relaxed and open up in a reasonable, safe manner. Don't know what that date is, but don't want what Georgia, etc. are doing. I hope this is before November, maybe August or sooner, with a gradual phasing and relaxing of things.

It would be nice if we could keep people from Georgia from coming to South Carolina if they are going to be so reckless. Look at the stats... Georgia has a much higher rate for deaths than the national average and higher than South or North Carolina.

Apr 21, 2020, 11:37 PM

Good analysis except the virus does not confine itself to state boundaries … once thee is a weak leak in the chain is broken a new hotspot emerges and spreads. if the screw this up now little chance for football. Virus doesn't care about politics or religion... leave this to the scientists.

I suppose it depends on how you define reckless.

Apr 21, 2020, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

And more importantly, in what context.

Is it reckless to open up the economy sooner rather than later? Perhaps, if you’re only considering cases of COVID-19. But one could argue that it’s reckless economically to continue to have forced shutdowns and quarantines.

No one wants unnecessary deaths, but no one should want unnecessary business closures/failures and people out of jobs either. Striking a balance here is tough, but that’s what our elected officials must try to do.

To be accurate

Apr 22, 2020, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

Not a decline for 14 straight days. The criteria include a downward trajectory in new cases over a 14 day period. It can go up and down so long as the overall trend is downwards.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/#criteria

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

the plan definitely does not say cases should drop for 14

Apr 22, 2020, 4:49 AM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

straight days. That statistically probably won't happen ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You might be missing the issue. The position from which

Apr 22, 2020, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

your stances comes from is "the govt mandates should exist and should be followed because one can make a case for them." Some of us wont live under that definition of truth and govt responsibility.

You also misstate the Ga governor's position and actions. In the interview I saw, he was smart, measured, and informed, with a factual basis for each step the state is taking. Some of his detractors are misstating the state's actual actions. Why is that?

We are seeing a clash of ideologies more than a disagreement about health, FB and Youtube have already said they wont let you read anything that differs with their take on it. Choose sides carefully in this. The US did not revolt to establish a democracy, a thing they did not invent. Democracy was a tool to protect a definition of truth and the individual. Develop whatever reasonable explanations you want for throwing those away, but you will get neither.

Apr 22, 2020, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

You forgot to mention Colorado’s governor. I wonder why?

Apr 22, 2020, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

One thing they don’t usually reflect on is that flattening the curve doesn’t significantly change the area under the curve. If there are, say, 200k at-risk people who would almost certainly die if exposed at any time to COVID-19, then there’s still 200k likely to die, they’ll just be spread out over more time. Some number may be saved because of the flatter curve allowing for better utilization of hospital beds and ventilators. But unless some miracle treatment comes about very soon or a vaccine is created followed vast immunization program, those most-at-risk people will eventually be exposed and will die anyway.

No matter what we do.

Because the virus is in the wild already, and it will never go away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

I find it interesting that even though the founding fathers were even more familiar with plagues and disease than most of us today, they didn't even bring them up in the Constitution as a reason to suspend the rights of citizens afforded to them within the rest of the document. I'm sure in your black and white world of "zealots" versus the truly enlightened who want citizens reporting on the behaviors of each other to the govt that distinction is lost, however, not all of us are as completely clueless about the history of this country as you appear to be. If people leaving their homes and!/or reopening their businesses is too distasteful for you to handle them stay at home and leave the rest of us alone.

This isn't political. This virus is laughing at our

Apr 22, 2020, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

politics. If the virus does what it's capable of doing, we will not be political by the time it's done. There's stuff we obviously can open up, there's stuff we can't. There's stuff that can be modified to help open up or stay opened safer, like meat plants. Space out people, add shields, add gloves, PPE, etc.

BIGGEST thing that would maximize returning to work are masks, and actually making everyone wear them. It's not only to keep asymptomatic people from spreading it (yourself included), but it also helps in making it harder to acquire it. If EVERYONE wore masks, you'd get the full advantage, mostly from blocking the exhalers but some when inhaling too. A grocery store would be 50% safer with all employees and customers wearing masks. 50% less infections to spread. That's a lot. 50% more businesses could reopen. 50%, that's the benefit if everyone wears a mask. Translate that into dollars. They pay for themselves, many times over. And that's a standard surgical mask. 25% for a homemade cotton mask. 85% for an n95 mask. Just translate those percentages to percentages of business dollars. It's a no brainer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This isn't political. This virus is laughing at our

Apr 22, 2020, 4:27 PM

Most N95 have exhaust valves. They only protect the wearer, not anyone else.

Apr 22, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

Close to 60% of the population dont want to open up because they are getting paid their full paycheck or $950 per week unemployment to stay home. Cut unemployment to $350 and end the full pay to stay home and then repeat the same poll

Apr 22, 2020, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

You say 'close to 60% of the population don't want to open up too soon.' I would think that percentage would be 100%.

Apr 22, 2020, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

This post makes it a political issue ....

There are “Denyers” in both parties ...

Instead of turning on each other , we should be joining together to demand better leadership during the pandemic..

Nobody knows what’s going on... It’s time to pull up our sleeves and get on the right track together.

Apr 22, 2020, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: If people in Georgia can go sit in an enclosed movie ]

oh good grief, would people just shut up with this nonsense? I'm a Democrat. I'd love for things to be open tomorrow. For one thing, I really need a haircut. No, nobody is sitting around hoping that this cluster**** continues until November. Everybody's gotten a taste of this administration's incompetence. We don't need another 100,000 to die to demonstrate that to voters.

Re: "I'm a D and I want it open tomorrow, too"

Apr 22, 2020, 6:15 PM

VH, you're a Democrat and you believe in science and mathematics.

Please explain to me, using science and numbers, how the Biden people who vastly underestimated this crisis even worse than Trump, will perform more competently than Trump's when this virus returns even more viciously this fall.

If 60K Americans die in the first wave, how will Team Joe prevent 100K deaths and the complete collapse of our economy and medical infrastructure this fall?

BTW, you're a man of science and math. Therefore, Prayer is not an answer.

Personally, I use science and math as guidelines, not belief systems. I would welcome your agreement with that statement, but it might cost you your D card.

But I'd love to hear a thinking person's projection for the future. Because this thing is far from over.

Apr 22, 2020, 4:57 AM

We all die eventually. That’s all.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Odd that

Apr 22, 2020, 6:01 AM

The CDC is in Atlanta and Georgia is the first state to lift the ban.

Apr 22, 2020, 9:03 AM

I remember HIV when it was first a thing. We had no idea how it was spread period....and not one single business closed. I know it's different now....you know...cause Trump and everything.

Apr 22, 2020, 9:11 AM

We have 2 choices

1 wait 18 months for a vaccine and let all jobs disappear and more will die.
2 herd immunity and more will die.

There is no magic solution.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic