Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If BC decides to stack the box
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

If BC decides to stack the box

Oct 30, 2020, 10:16 AM

I think the run/pass option with the TE running down the seam will be a awesome play. We ran the play against WF & GT and the seam was open both times. I know we hit it against WF & think we did against GT as well.

What are your thoughts on plays for DJ to break a box stacking defense?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If BC decides to stack the box

Oct 30, 2020, 10:20 AM

A lot of the quick throws outside will be open - wide screens, slants, etc. - especially with DJ rolling out.

Oct 30, 2020, 10:22 AM

why would anyone not since we wont give it to TE much then. You'd love to see the make a guy miss (which he can) and impose your will (which we should be able to) mentality take over. But usually its just throw it deep

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Max protect and hit them with fades and posts until they

Oct 30, 2020, 10:24 AM

Come out of it. The TE in the seam will be a good option too.

We can run some simple man beater combo routes on the outside too. The old hitch corner combo will give DJ an easy read.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2020, 10:26 AM

My prediction is that the guys who hate bubble screens are going to be really REALLY upset in the first half of this game tomorrow.

Just remember where the Boston College coach came from......

Oct 30, 2020, 10:56 AM

He was a coach in last years big game with the Buckeyes. You remember. It’s the game we cheated and won.

I’m sure he is licking his chops now that he knows he will not be facing Lawrence again. Dabo will have a good plan for the Eagles Saturday I’m sure. BC will definitely stack the box and force DJ to beat them with his arm. No one questions his arm strength but he doesn’t have that pinpoint accuracy that TL has. I’ll be surprised if Coach Swinney asks his new QB to throw a lot of deep passes. The BC secondary will be tested early and often. Avoid the turnovers and this game will not be close. ETN may be the games top receiver when all the dust settles and the Tigers win
31 13. Any thoughts.

Re: Just remember where the Boston College coach came from......

Oct 30, 2020, 11:07 AM

A couple of things:

Unfortunately for the BC coach, he doesn't have the same level of talent to execute his scheme in the same way he did last season. Leaving his DBs on islands could be a risky move, but it did work out ok for Syracuse last weekend.

The difference in accuracy you mentioned will I think cause us to move away from the middle of the field tomorrow. I expect that we let DJ air it out a few times to try to create some room for the short stuff, but I am expecting more of the go route, 1-on-1 type passes instead of trying to squeeze the ball between defenders over the middle.

I think we start the game similar to how we started last weekend by trying to make their defense run to the sidelines over and over again. If we have some success and get them cheating or even peaking, I think it helps ETN a ton!

I will be SHOCKED if the first or second play of the game isn't a <5 yard pass to Amari.

I don't know what to think of a score prediction at this point after adding TL to the defensive absences. I think your 31-13 falls somewhere in the middle of the range I'm thinking. We may have more FG attempts tomorrow unless we are running at will because the coaches will likely be a little safer in the red zone with DJ vs Trevor.

Re: Just remember where the Boston College coach came from......

Oct 30, 2020, 11:15 AM

I agree TigerO. I’ll be surprised if we see a lot of passes to the middle of the field unless BC changes their plan. I expect that the coaches are developing a plan that may open that up. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
It also will be interesting to see what the coin toss winner decides to do. I hope the Tigers get the ball with good field position on their first drive. That will help DJ settle it I think. It’s going to be a fun day in the valley. Glad I’m going to be there to celebrate this first win for DJ!

I wouldn't doubt DJ's accuracy. He put up insane stats in

Oct 30, 2020, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Just remember where the Boston College coach came from...... ]

high school. It might not be quite as good as TL's but I imagine he can get the ball where it needs to be more often than not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't doubt DJ's accuracy. He put up insane stats in

Oct 30, 2020, 11:43 AM

I would agree, but I will also say that high school accuracy and college accuracy are two very different things.

Open windows in high school tend to stay open for a while.

Open windows in college can turn into INTs or PBUs and make the QB look like he struggles with accuracy.

DJ may have it, but he hasn't shown it at TL's level to this point.

Oct 30, 2020, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: If BC decides to stack the box ]

I don’t much care about “stacking the box”. I view stacking the box as strictly a run stopping strategy/term. My larger concern is how much pressure do they bring and can DJU and our offense handle it?

I think the opposing Coach will dial the pressure way up, to see if he can shake a relatively inexperienced college QB.

He’s clearly a physical talent, now he gets to show his mental talent. It’ll be interesting to see what unfolds.

Oct 30, 2020, 11:18 AM

There are different ways that DCs handle young QBs in how much pressure they bring.

There is the idea to bring tons of pressure. The downfall of that is if the young QB knows where his outlets are and can hit them between the pressure and the DBs running downfield.

If BCs coach sends tons of blitzes and DJ can dump to ETN, the game will be over early and we will win in a blowout.

The other idea (and this worked really well against Tajh Boyd in his first season starting) is to let your d-line be the rush and drop 7 or 8 guys into coverage. If this is BC's plan, DJ will have to be very smart with the ball because there will be hidden LBs and safeties in coverage waiting to step into throwing lanes. The down side of this for the defense is it causes some struggles against the draws and QB scrambles. It's also almost impossible to use this plan unless you can get 2nd or 3rd and long a good bit.

BC's head coach was a good DC and I expect him to mix his calls. Try to send pressure when DJ expects coverage and vice versa.

We need to 2nd and 6 or less a lot this week to really increase DJ's chances of being successful. Whether we get that from the run game or the screen game, it works either way.

Oct 30, 2020, 11:21 AM

Right. Third down conversion. Most important stat in football.

Oct 30, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: If BC decides to stack the box ]

No question that they will try to pressure the Young QB. But, can they do it and contain ETN at the same time? Something has got to give ... right.?

It isn't just about stacking the box

Oct 30, 2020, 12:42 PM

Their defense will shade ETN wherever he goes, run or screen pass. They will try to remove him from the game. The only way to get him room might be to send him downfield to catch passes against a LB.

Unless our O-line dominates BC in the trenches and opens running lanes, it will be on DJ's arm to get it done. In HS, he was very good throwing short passes, the kind you need on 3rd and 7. If he does that tomorrow, it should loosen things up down the field.

BC is not going to allow ETN to beat them running or catching screen passes. The offense can try misdirection all they want and the D will still shade towards ETN. Elliott should use him as a decoy.

Re: It isn't just about stacking the box

Oct 30, 2020, 12:48 PM

This logic is why I expect us to come out throwing to the sidelines A LOT early in the game.

WR screens, quick outs, hitches, etc. will be used to try to make their defense abandon their focus from the backfield.

If we are running plays that give them no time to rush and no reason to keep all of the attention on ETN, it could start to affect their discipline in regards to the defensive plan you stated.

Also, DJ is not some weak-armed freshman that will allow the defense to crowd the WRs at the line with no help over the top. I believe they will have to start the game with a little cushion to avoid us getting the HUGE play that could jump start our offense and DJ's confidence.

Re: It isn't just about stacking the box

Oct 30, 2020, 4:57 PM

I agree with a lot of what was said in this thread. One thing I didn't see was how good a runner DJ is. I expect to some QB design runs as well as the option to take off on pass plays if he sees an open lane.

Any other Tnet coaches want to run their 6-3, 250 lb QB?

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic