Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Idaho. We have come a long way from 2001 having to fax the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Idaho. We have come a long way from 2001 having to fax the

Jan 3, 2020, 5:29 PM

Humanitarian bowl(now famous potato) Remember how much effort T net put into getting into that bowl? I recall buying a ticket and donating it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Idaho. We have come a long way from 2001 having to fax the

Jan 3, 2020, 5:37 PM

You missed a great time in Boise. Team enjoyed all the snow events and Clemson fans enjoyed it also. Hour before game the field was covered in snow and weather was freezing. Tommy Bowden’s brother, a coach, came out wearing short pants! Boise guy attending asked me if that Clemson man was crazy. I answered in the affirmative. Lots of fun at the old Humanitarian Bowl.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2020, 6:27 PM

Woody Dantzler was starting QB there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2020, 8:26 PM

I think you misspelled "The most electrifying man in CFB". But seriously, dude was one of my all time favs and a magician with the ball in his hands. Until DW4 he was my #1 Tiger.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2020, 9:03 PM

He was the QB when she started Clemson and to this day, my fiancée still lists him among her faves. A year or so he was outside Littlejohn before a game signing autographs - you would have thought she met God.

Jan 3, 2020, 6:32 PM

That’s exactly why I’m enjoying everything minute of it. Just wish my mom (2002) and dad (2008) were alive to see their Tigers now.

Jan 3, 2020, 8:51 PM

Back in those days Clemson had to lobby to get the final bowl slot in the Humanitarian Bowl and lost money in doing so.

Jan 3, 2020, 8:56 PM

Call me crazy, but there’s a part of me that misses those old days. I was just a teenager then - I grew up dirt poor, but we were raised Clemson fans. My dad and I used to maybe go to one game a year, the rest, we’d listen while riding around in his Pepsi truck as he stocked shelves on Saturday afternoons. That was in the early 80’s-90’s. I grew up only 30 mins away from Clemson, but it seemed like some far off land back then.

Anyway, my dad died in ‘95 and I fell off for a few years. In 2000 or so, I started dating the girl I am still with today. She was a Clemson student and her parents were (still are) season ticket holders. I started going with them and back then we never knew if we’d win or lose. Beat a Top 5 FSU in their house, then lose to Duke at home - every game was a roller coaster.

Today, she and I attend as many as we can. 40 years old, we are fortunate financially, no kids.. We’ve attended all ACCCG’s, all National Championships and all but one playoff game (she went with her family to the last New Orleans game, I stayed home and worked, assuming I’d be in Atlanta the next week..)

Anyway, not to take anything away from where we’re at now. It’s so exciting, we are at a level I NEVER thought we’d see - all I ever wanted was to see one NC in my lifetime - the fact that next week I’m going to witness #3 in person - in the last 5 years.. it’s just beyond me. But, it also comes with a sense of tension I didn’t know existed. Spending thousands of dollars zig-zagging across the country, expecting to see a win.. now even close games feel like losses. Winning is like a drug. In the 3rd quarter during the Fiesta Bowl, my fiancées nose started bleeding - we can only assume her blood pressure was sky high. The stress I felt during that game last week was something I will remember the rest of my (now shortened) life.

I guess where I was going with - sorry for the ramble - the first bowl game I ever attended was the Peach Bowl against Tennessee. It was she and I and some other friends. We went down there expecting to lose that game - we didn’t care, we just wanted to have fun and see us play someone different. Instead, Whitehurst and Co came ready to play and we knocked them off. I’ve seen everything we’ve done the past 10 years or so and I’d still put that game up there. Those old days where we had no idea what team was gonna show up and whether we would win or lose - those were actually a lot of fun.

I LOVE where we’re at, but those 6-6 and 7-5 teams were fun too.

What's wrong with you? You've been dating this fine Clemson

Jan 3, 2020, 9:07 PM

woman for 20 years, and haven't married her yet??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This thread is fantastic - we have come a long way, these are The Good Old Days!

Jan 3, 2020, 9:17 PM

And you are all right - those old days were full of good memories too. It is all relative. At the time, the Gator Bowl or the Peach Bowl seemed like such an accomplishment.

Beating Tennessee was incredible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: What's wrong with you? You've been dating this fine Clemson

Jan 3, 2020, 9:30 PM [ in reply to What's wrong with you? You've been dating this fine Clemson ]

I know, I know. TBF, we've had some breaks in there - it hasn't been 20 straight years. But yea, it's something we need to do. Got engaged maybe 5 years ago and it just kind of fell by the wayside. We were actually talking in Phoenix, it's something we need to get done soon - this will be the year.

It’s all about the journey, not the destination

Jan 4, 2020, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Idaho. We have come a long way from 2001 having to fax the ]

seems I’ve heard that from an outstanding coach

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic