Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'd like everyone just to take a moment to appreciate...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

I'd like everyone just to take a moment to appreciate...

Jun 1, 2020, 12:17 PM

...air conditioning. Our main unit died last week. It was 22 years old and I had nursed it along as best I could. We had to replace it, but it took 6 days to get it scheduled and completed. During that time it reached some uncomfortable temperature and humidity levels in the house outside of Atlanta. We are too stubborn to seek out a hotel or likewise, so we brought out the fans and sweated it out.

I work at home and there's nothing like swamp-arse in your home office. Anyway, while the cool air blows from our new unit, I am appreciating the not-so-modern technology of AC.

just sayin'

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: I'd like everyone just to take a moment to appreciate...

Jun 1, 2020, 1:00 PM

Lol, I agree. We must appreciate air conditioning. I remember as a kid the first time I saw one. It was at my friends and I was amazed. I stuck my face in it, it was cool.

At our house, there was no such thing. At night it was sticky and we had no fan in our room (4 boys). We had the window open and that was it. No covers when you went to bed, eventually it cooled down and we would wake up with covers on. We finally got a fan in our room when I was in 8th grade. I was 15 before we got a window unit.

God Bless conditioned air! ????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose it could be worse.

Jun 1, 2020, 1:03 PM

You could live in Atlanta.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or Columbia!***

Jun 1, 2020, 4:07 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Or Columbia!***

Jun 1, 2020, 9:01 PM

lived there for 3 yrs.'72-'75.i know that of which I speak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 1, 2020, 2:14 PM

we are truly blessed to have access to all that technology has to offer,and at the same time we take too much for granted.lost our dishwasher,and its'replacement won't be here until june 9,so I've been the chief dish and bottlewasher for awhile.c'est la vie.things could be an awful lot worse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 1, 2020, 3:15 PM

The two primary reasons Florida is so heavily populated are:
1. air conditioning
2. mosquito control

The population of Florida was extremely sparse until the 1970s when central air conditioning became available and affordable to middle income people. And, without mosquito control, it would still be largely unpopulated.

Do not underestimate the economic impact of air conditioning on all of the southern states.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting. Mine was also 22 years old. Just replaced it

Jun 1, 2020, 3:18 PM

this Spring.

Even though it's a Trane, you can just look at it and tell it's not a beast like the old one was. I'll be happy to get 10-12 years out of it.

Jun 1, 2020, 3:28 PM

usually the folks doing the replacement will provide you with some portable units while you're waiting for them to get around to you.

The first time I had a place with air conditioning...

Jun 1, 2020, 3:37 PM

...was my freshman year at Clemson in 1978 at the fabulous Le Mans Apartments on Hwy 133.

I grew up in a home with an attic fan (whole house fan as some call it). We didn't have air conditioning in elementary school either so starting school in August was a little steamy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminds me of this...............

Jun 1, 2020, 4:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ

It applies to lots of things!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bravo my good man!!***

Jun 1, 2020, 5:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jun 1, 2020, 4:16 PM

Mr. Carrier should be on Mt. Rushmore , IMHO .

DB23

Jun 1, 2020, 4:22 PM

He needs to find his way into the Carrier Dome first. ??

Jun 1, 2020, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I'd like everyone just to take a moment to appreciate... ]

Do the boats stay hot or cold Doug? In the Wheelhouse. Always pictured them as super cold for some reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in the most air-conditioned city in the world"

Jun 1, 2020, 5:59 PM

Houston Texas.

Believe me, there wouldn't be 7 million in the metro area here without it.

Jun 1, 2020, 11:23 PM

I remember as a teen, we had no AC in our car(only one car) or house. We had no screens on our windows, and I would push my bed next to the window, and place my face as close into the window as possible. I did that until I woke one night with a horse staring me in the face thru the window. Scared the crap outta me. Stupid me grabbed my clothes and jumped out the window in the middle of the night to chase the horse, but he was way too fast. Just another night in the life of a poor guy.

But to make up for the heat in Summer, we had no underpinning under our house, and you could see the ground thru the floors in several places, so we froze in Winter which balanced out the heat of Summer. I could place a glass of water next to the bed in Winter, and it would be solid ice in the morning.

You millenials have it made. But you don't have enough to complain about, so you'll never appreciate the finer things of today like us old farts do.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic