Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Herbstreit twins find "perfect fit" at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

TNET: Herbstreit twins find "perfect fit" at Clemson

Nov 29, 2018, 7:01 AM

Herbstreit twins find "perfect fit" at Clemson

Jake Herbstreit and Tye Herbstreit grew up visiting the best college campuses in the nation, but also grew up with the legacy of a grandfather and father that both played for Ohio St. The twins grew up loving the sound of a college football Saturday at The Horseshoe in Columbus as the Buckeye faithful cheered at full throat. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Herbstreit twins find

Nov 29, 2018, 7:19 AM

No better complement from the national media than the face of college football being comfortable sending is two oldest sons to your school.

Every time I see this though I think back to how it can go horribly wrong, like when Craig James’s son went to TTU and got Mike Leach fired. Leach did something I’m pretty certain Dabo and staff would never do, and Herbstreit is not James, but having this type of direct connection to the national media can be like flying too close to the sun.

Happy for the kids and happy for Clemson but I hope ‘we’ (TigerNet and local media but also the fans) allow them to be the preferred walk-ons they are, and not make them reality tv stars. There is no indication that they are the next Hunter Renfrow so let’s not start making those kinds of comparisons.

Message was edited by: OrangeCoast®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't worry too much about the potential problems of

Nov 29, 2018, 7:58 AM

the Texas Tech Mike Leach - Craig James thing. Totally different people with way different personalities, program cultures, and histories. Craig James' kid had a history of being "spoiled/entitled" and Mike Leach took him anyway (apparently after James hounded him). Kirk Herbstreit is not Craig James (who was a bit of an a$$hole) and imagine he has raised some quality young men. Likewise, Dabo is not Mike Leach - Leach is a quirky oddball that has a totally different approach to coaching and running a program.

Dabo has said many times that Clemson only offers young men that are a "fit" (i.e. high character young men) for the program and is why we have so few discipline problems on our team. You can bet that Dabo would not allow the Herbstreit kids to be a part of the team if they did not meet his high character standards - he protects our program's culture more than anything and no one is above it. I trust that Dabo and the coaches know what they are doing and the Herbstreit kids will be a great addition to the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't worry too much about the potential problems of

Nov 29, 2018, 8:57 AM

I agree with both. Dabo and staff have been pretty good about selecting high character guys. But he will have to manage that extra "window" into the program that the media will have. Hopefully Kirk will respect that and keep it closed.

Re: I wouldn't worry too much about the potential problems of

Nov 29, 2018, 9:11 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't worry too much about the potential problems of ]

I agree, no fear of getting too close to the Herbstreits.

Hasn't Dabo already handled Swag Kelly, and the team was better for it?
Haven't Scott Pelley's kids (CBS' 60 Minutes journalist) been attending Clemson for a couple years now?
Rex Ryan's son, Mark Richt's son (primarily under TB), other legacy players--they come to Clemson because Dabo treats them as maturing young men, not employees.

Once Renfrow finally leaves, who are the Swinney boys going to bring home for dinner?
I imagine Will and Drew will get along fine with Jake and Tye, and Kathleen is a great team mom.

Not that your concern is irrelevant, but i think we're beyond that now.

Dabo has learned to fly close to the sun.

Wasn’t Craig James on the payroll at SMU when he played?***

Nov 29, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit twins find ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Herbstreit twins find

Nov 29, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit twins find ]

Thank you, thank you saying the same thing that I feel about this scenario with the Herbstreit twins, and if these two kids never play a meaningful down at Clemson, I'm thankful that Jake, Tye, and their father believes that Clemson under Dabo's leadership was the right place for them to pursue FB and a great College education!!! Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Herbstreit twins find "perfect fit" at Clemson

Nov 29, 2018, 7:35 AM

This is great! Power of the Paw!

Nov 29, 2018, 7:38 AM

What a positive indication where Dabo, his staff, the players, the athletic department and the university administration have taken the football program. Not many young men would choose to move away from a family tradition without a scholarship. It just shows the respect the program has earned nationally.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did ESPN approve this?

Nov 29, 2018, 7:44 AM

I thought they hated us ??

Nov 29, 2018, 7:47 AM

I think Kirk Herbstreit and family will be a good fit. He is too smart to pll a ‘Craig James’ if something went awry. I cannot imagine a situation like that blowing up with the program. Dabo and Kirk respect each other and if something was up, I doubt we would ever hear about it.
The twins seem to be good kids who will work hard. Perfect Tigers. Dabo and staff have had plenty of time over the years to pick up any negative rumors. I trust Dabo’s judgement. Like the other players, they will play some. Whether they end up being a lot more will be dependent of several factors.
I welcome them and wish them well!
????????????

Dec 5, 2018, 9:10 AM

If they play a lot its because those young men was willing to work and to earn the respect of the coaches and players. Hunter Renfrow did that and I feel these two young men will come here with that type of attitude. Dabo saw something in these young men and I trust his judgment. We wish them the best and hope the players will see these young men for themselves and not because they are Kirk's sons.

Go Tigers bring it against the Irish. Be prepared, prepared. Focus on this game. OL lets get it done, have been so proud of you guys this year. D line you are our Power Rangers and we love each of you. DB's we know you guys can bring your hearts, guts and determination to show the scouts, the doubters who you guys are. Special teams lets get it done. Love the leg of Potter!!! He is going to be an even bigger weapon next year than he is this year. Spiers I believe in you, keep pushing and have a whale of a game. Don't overthink. Go Tigers

Nov 29, 2018, 7:52 AM

I am amazed at how the perception of Clemson has drastically changed over the years. OSU alum sending his kids to Clemson? Where's Clemson? Is that in California? I still have to pinch myself that this is real.

Nov 29, 2018, 7:54 AM

Things like this amaze me how coot fans and haters say Dabo is a fraud. They listen to Dabo in an interview and on the sidelines and come to the conclusion he is a fraud. But yet people in the know, people that are involved and get to see behind the scenes all sing Dabos praise and have nothing but great things to say. Things like this just go to show Dabo is exactly who he says he is. Kirk gets to see things and talk to people that are around these coaches every single day, and yet he still wants his kids to play at Clemson. And I remember him saying 5 or more years ago that Dabo is who he would want his kids to play for, and now it’s a reality. That’s pretty cool.

Re: Coot critics

Nov 29, 2018, 8:59 AM

Usually their criticism stems from something he said or did very early on in his head coaching career, when he wasn't as wise as he is now, and they plan on holding it against him for life.
But even as he matures (i.e., becomes an old fart), he still is a real person, so he still provides fuel to the petty haters in spite of all his redeeming and admirable qualities. So their criticism speaks more about them than it does Dabo.

Unless you're talking about fans like the BC girl who complained that a truly Christian coach wouldn't still have his team throwing forward passes with a 20-point lead and 2 minutes left in the game. Those critics are PeeWee League moms and sisters and have never let their boys leave the sandbox.

Nov 29, 2018, 7:59 AM

Maybe we’ll get more 8:00 games with Herbie as commentator.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:19 AM

It may be the opposite, to avoid perceived bias or conflict of interest.

Nov 29, 2018, 8:38 AM

I'm not sure if we can get too opposite. We only had 1 night home game all year.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:11 AM

Duke and that school we beat for the 70th time we're both played at night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The Clemson Network" - get it done, Herbie

Nov 29, 2018, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit twins find "perfect fit" at Clemson ]

we all know this new ACC Network thing is gonna be all Duke/UNC basketball all the time, similar to what the SEC Network has morphed into (the Bama Network). You KNOW the ACC Network will show 70% basketball, 10% football and the rest split into all the other non-revenue sports.

What we really need is a Clemson Football ESPN channel.

I don’t think that’s really true. It will show football

Nov 29, 2018, 9:31 AM

games during football season and basketball games during basketball season.

Also, I’m betting Bama appears on the SEC Network less than any other team live. Of course during downtime, they show replays of more Bama games than anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These Conference Networks show mainly 3rd tier football

Nov 29, 2018, 9:45 AM

games. We know them as old Jefferson Pilot games.

I'm of the opinion that, because of ACC basketball and ACC Baseball that the ACC Network has a chance to be a hit. Not to mention, this is where including ND really will help. Catholics are Nationwide.

Re: I don’t think that’s really true. It will show football

Dec 5, 2018, 9:12 AM [ in reply to I don’t think that’s really true. It will show football ]

That is because ESPN show Bama every week.

Re: "The Clemson Network" - get it done, Herbie

Nov 29, 2018, 10:07 AM [ in reply to "The Clemson Network" - get it done, Herbie ]

Now that's some BIG O wishing there!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 8:15 AM

I can only see positive in this move. Great for the kids and the program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA will watch Herbstreit

Nov 29, 2018, 8:57 AM

Under an electron microscope for comments to be interpreted (by Saban's law...unwritten/ever-changing) as recruiting violations. Then again, Nick might be happy, thinking Clemson made preferred offers for 'rat poison'! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 9:03 AM

Am I alone hoping in a couple of years ABC/ESPN gets to have a Ned Jarrett calling Dale home to flag moment as Clemson Wins big with Kirk calling the game. One of his boys making a key play

Nov 29, 2018, 10:23 AM

Just go all in and make it a Will Swinney to Jake H. fake field goal for a game winning TD. In the Natty. Against the buckeyes. If you’re going to dream might as well go big.

this says a lot

Nov 29, 2018, 10:26 AM

About Urban Meyer!

With Kirk doing the late games, we are destined for nooners.***

Nov 29, 2018, 10:34 AM

Kirk is the closest announcer to the positive attributes of

Nov 29, 2018, 10:51 AM

Dabo.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These are exciting times at Clemson and these two will only

Nov 29, 2018, 10:55 AM

help our program grow stronger. Herbstreit has always had plenty of character and I believe these young men would be great contributors to our program in many ways.

They need to put on some weight

Nov 29, 2018, 12:42 PM

Venables has his kids tipping the scales at 230 when they step on campus

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They need to put on some weight

Nov 29, 2018, 2:31 PM

They will.

Meh.***

Nov 29, 2018, 4:03 PM

Herbstreit: Hunter Renfrow 2.0

Nov 29, 2018, 10:52 PM

I think we just found our next slot receiver

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have an amazing family. We’re excited you both chose to become Tigers!

Nov 29, 2018, 10:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic