Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I ventured over to the OSU boards... I absolutely love all
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

I ventured over to the OSU boards... I absolutely love all

Dec 10, 2019, 8:36 AM

the warm fuzzies they give themselves by how much value they place on being... "Battle Tested"... I've got news for them.. It doesn't matter if you've played top 10 teams every week of the season if the last team you play is flat out better than you.. No doubt OSU is a very good team.. I think it will be pretty close until we pull away late. I'm seeing an 11-13 point victory over the BuckNuts... Scoring a game sealing touchdown sometime in the 4th quarter to solidify the win and send their fans to the parking lots..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This game will come down to one key factor, I believe.

Dec 10, 2019, 8:44 AM

Brent Venables will confuse the heyall out of Justin Fields in the passing game. So, the key to victory is containing him, and staying in good coverage once the play breaks down, because it will. Our up front guys must make the tackles on him once he begins to move around.

That may sound simplistic, and if we do it right, it will be. If not, we will be in a nail biter.

I think we control the line of scrimmage well enough to stop their running game.

The other challenge, although I think we negate it with quick passes, is controlling Young coming off the edge on defense. We will see if our well rested offensive line (Hey, we haven't played anyone, remember?) can get it done. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure if our strengths on defense will work out

Dec 10, 2019, 8:46 AM

I'm sure Venables has a plan, but for a game like this a 4 man front is probably the most appropriate approach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB.

Dec 10, 2019, 9:54 AM

Virginia, who has much less talent than OSU, racked up a ton of yards.

The defense needs to be on-point or the game could easily turn bad for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB.

Dec 10, 2019, 9:57 AM

First yards are not points or determine the winner. Second 360 or so is not a ton. We have just gotten spoiled on d

Dec 10, 2019, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB. ]

Alabama racked up a lot of yards, score less than Virginia... PAT matter

True, but that was a different team with

Dec 10, 2019, 8:24 PM

4 DL who played against Bama that went to the NFL (and obviously Dexter).

Stopping 2nd/3rd/4th and short was much easier with that group.

Hope I'm wrong but I see OSU getting decent yards on the ground (and several chunk plays off play action) that end in points, and Day wanting to control the clock. That leaves less opportunities for Clemson to ring up the scoreboard.

Lots of folks on here seem confident in Clemson winning comfortably. I'm perfectly fine with another beat down of the Buckeyes, but I don't see a blowout for either team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True, but that was a different team with

Dec 10, 2019, 10:47 PM

If we can manage that BC monster, AJ Dillon, we can manage these guys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With no credible threat from their WR/QB, it is much

Dec 11, 2019, 1:27 PM

easier to commit extra bodies to scheme against Dillon and BC's run game.

I'm excited to see what BV has in store for OSU. But definitely concerned about their OL against Clemson's undersized DL.

Dec 10, 2019, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB. ]

I personally thought our VA defensive game plan was pretty vanilla. I suspect they willingly gave up their streak of sub-300 yd games against a highly talented mobile QB in order to preserve some element of surprise.

Dec 10, 2019, 11:03 AM

BS

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 2:16 PM

I mean, you give up some things to take away other things.

We didn’t really go as hard after negative plays. We were concerned with containing Perkins more than sacking him.

Dec 10, 2019, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB. ]

How eloquent.

Dec 10, 2019, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB. ]

"our VA defensive game plan was pretty vanilla. I suspect they willingly gave up their streak of sub-300 yd games against a highly talented mobile QB in order to preserve some element of surprise."

I don't think there was any plan to give up or surprise intent at all. To me it was pretty clear Venables watched VT/UVA game (obviously). Early in that game VT pinned there ears back and Perkins ran down the field twice for scores. Then VTs DL started containing Perkins in the pocket and slowed down the offense enough to get back in the game. The difference between that game and our game with UVA is our back end has great technique and challenges the catch each play; VT's dbs were often out of position and just did not put in the effort at point of catch. All that allowed Perkins enough to pull out a win. Against us his limited run plays and overall difficulty in consistently passing on us AND having the reality of limited time versus catching up to our offensive production was a defense in itself.

I think Fields is much more limited in his scrambling ability due to injuries and size. I think you will see V confuse Fields with late blitzes, fake blitzes and all manner of nut cuttin at his disposal. All while the Ohio St sideline watches our offense punch the red zone ticket over and over with the clock running to 0:00 a lot faster than they care to see.

I think it will be a good game for a half, but at any point in that game we get a score and a quick 3 and out or a turnover and another quick score for separation - the game will have been decided.

It will look like our ND game last year with a little higher score for both teams.

48 to 21 or 24 ish.

Dec 10, 2019, 3:26 PM

Agree, it was obvious being there that the idea was to keep Perkins in front of them, the D line maintained gap presence and made it hard for him to get just yards.

They did give him LOTS of time doing that, they had a whole lot of 5-10 yard first down plays... other than Muse getting burned twice, it was a pretty darn good game plan (obvious now that its over)...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB. ]

Dead-on. Last year vs Pitt and SC tigers played vanilla.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB. ]

They have plenty of film. The only surprises this late in the season are those installed specifically for this game.

ton of yards?

Dec 10, 2019, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB. ]

They had 378 yards. While that's the most anyone got on us this year, 378 would be good for about 90th on the list of total offense per game.

I guess "ton" is a slight misnomer. UVa did get their

Dec 10, 2019, 8:10 PM

average yards per game, but doesn't matter when Clemson is doubling that yardage.

But my point is on OSU's running game vs Clemson DL/LB's. It at least "looks" like they have an advantage on their OL against Clemson's smaller DL.

If OSU is on the field chewing clock, Trevor and his crew can only sit and watch.

Hopefully BV continues to amaze with his defensive schemes/adjustments.

Dec 11, 2019, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Huge concern with their OL, RB, and add in a mobile QB. ]

Sorry to ask but what game did you watch ton of yards put the bottle down bro

Re: I'm not sure if our strengths on defense will work out

Dec 10, 2019, 8:46 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure if our strengths on defense will work out ]

Typically I would agree, but I heard someone on BTN saying that OSU had the most trouble this year against 3 man fronts (Wisconsin for example). They were talking about it would be an advantage for OSU if Clemson played a 4-3.

Re: I'm not sure if our strengths on defense will work out

Dec 11, 2019, 9:23 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure if our strengths on defense will work out ]

You may be right, but with our speed advantage vs their size advantage, I can see a 3 - 3 - 5 alignment possibly giving us better run blitz options and making it harder for their big uglies to grind on us.

I trust BV sees the pros and cons better than either of us.

Game will be close. Kicking game concerns me***

Dec 10, 2019, 10:36 AM [ in reply to This game will come down to one key factor, I believe. ]

Re: I ventured over to the OSU boards... I absolutely love all

Dec 10, 2019, 9:15 AM

Fields is not as accurate or consistent as Burrow or TL16. I expect to get 1 or more INT's and that might be all we need to win. If OSU gets down to CLEMSON in the first half like they did against Wisky, then it might be curtains for OSU. They cannot come back on CLEMSON like they did against Wisky.

Dec 11, 2019, 9:24 AM

Fields has also shown a propensity to fumble.

It's fool's gold. They just THINK they've been battle tested

Dec 10, 2019, 9:21 AM

because they've been told how great Mich, Penn St, and Wisc are. The fact of the matter is, they haven't played anybody anywhere near the quality team Clemson is. Let 'em squawk, and let's hope their team is as overconfident as the fans are. If that's the case, it'll be another 31-0 mudhole stomp.

Re: It's fool's gold. They just THINK they've been battle tested

Dec 11, 2019, 9:26 AM

You DO realize that, by the same token, we have not played anyone as good as OSU, right ?

The bad news for them

Dec 10, 2019, 9:30 AM

Is that they are not playing our schedule. They are playing Clemson

Very profound, i like it***

Dec 10, 2019, 9:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 10:20 AM

I don’t think anyone is discounting the fact that Clemson is by far the best team OSU has seen so far. But doesn’t the opposite also apply? Couldn’t an OSU fan kn their board make the argument that Clemson hasn’t seen anything like what they’re about to see playing a weak acc and handing the second best team in the conference their 4th loss of the season? And if so, what’s wrong with them saying that?

I love the confidence on the board here, but y’all are expecting another 31-0, are going to be surprised. I think Tigers come out on top, but this is a significantly different team then we got in 2016, and will be a street fight. Personally I think the two best teams are playing in the semi this year.

Couldn't you be something more than a

Dec 10, 2019, 10:38 AM

Pretend Clemson fan? You deliver every comment with a left-hand...and fool no one.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Couldn't you be something more than a

Dec 10, 2019, 1:31 PM

No, I’m just realistic and respect the game and our opponent.

Re: Couldn't you be something more than a

Dec 11, 2019, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Couldn't you be something more than a ]

What's with this unrealistic all-or-nothing support stance. I am a huge Clemson fan, but i am also a fan of college football. I appreciate the game and other talented ball clubs. OSU is one and we will have to play our best and get a few breaks to come out on top. That is college football at its best and I expect the game on the 28th to be great. Go Tigers!!

Dec 10, 2019, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: I ventured over to the OSU boards... I absolutely love all ]

I agree somewhat with your post. But you must agree that the hype is still the same as 2016 for OSU. Ohio State players and fans in 2016 thought they were better than Clemson. 2019 seems the same to me except OSU is a little better, but so is Clemson.

Dec 10, 2019, 10:33 AM

"Battle Tested" sounds a lot of like the same bumpkus we heard from them prior to the 2016 game. Perhaps they have forgotten.

I remember 2013 we wouldn't be able to stop Braxton Miller or Hyde. How'd that work out for them?

Same was said about clemson before the NC game

Dec 10, 2019, 10:40 AM

Last year.

Bama had the advantage because they had tne harder schedule and were battle tested..

After the NC game it changed
Clemson had the advantage because they had tne easier schedule and weren't beat up.

Same BS different year

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

In the end it's like this

Dec 10, 2019, 10:41 AM

The teams they have played aren't good as they think they are and the team they are about to play is a good bit better than they think.

They get to find out in less than 3 weeks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, the Italians were battle-tested with the Ethiopians

Dec 10, 2019, 10:58 AM

and Somalians too.

Didn't fare so well when they ran up against Patton's men.

PS

Dec 10, 2019, 10:59 AM

Patton wore BV underoos.

Re: PS

Dec 11, 2019, 9:39 AM

Thought he went commando

Dec 10, 2019, 12:21 PM

JPlumley6 said:

the warm fuzzies they give themselves by how much value they place on being... "Battle Tested"... I've got news for them.. It doesn't matter if you've played top 10 teams every week of the season if the last team you play is flat out better than you.. No doubt OSU is a very good team.. I think it will be pretty close until we pull away late. I'm seeing an 11-13 point victory over the BuckNuts... Scoring a game sealing touchdown sometime in the 4th quarter to solidify the win and send their fans to the parking lots..

They will remember at kickoff, and wish they could forget around the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Dec 10, 2019, 12:22 PM

either one of these games could be in potters hands, we need an accurate leg

they are deep in the weeds so far as statistics...most pretty meaningless ie our offensive performance against a and m - I remember us slipping the offense into 1st gear early 3rd quarter and just putzing to the w

d line and play is my only concern but they will perform...its the playoffs after all

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 2:27 PM

I was reading, but had to stop because of the ignorance. The one post that did me in started off with "Clemson has depth issues." Done! I am done!!

Dec 10, 2019, 8:57 PM

Our o-line will hold, our receivers will catch, Trevor will lead , our RBs will run. The MOST important thing OUR DEFENSE WILL BEND BUT IT WON'T BREAK. DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS ! The bucknuts have no idea what they got coming. I BELIEVE ! ALL IN !!!!!

I read some bizzaro world spew about

Dec 10, 2019, 10:41 PM

How Clemson's roster is comparable to..wait for it...Michigan's! That's as far as I went. TNet vs elevenwarriors.com they are like sister sites.Hoooboiiii

Dec 11, 2019, 9:19 AM

I tried to point out to them that ND and bama made the same mistake last year but they weren't buying it. Let them have their kool-aid.

Dec 11, 2019, 2:09 PM

so if we go position by position. which team has more players battle tested by playing in CFP semi finals and Natty? Anyone that does the math will realize that Clemson has the most "battle tested" team in the tourney

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic