Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Bentley SCar's version of Willy Korn?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Is Bentley SCar's version of Willy Korn?

Mar 25, 2016, 10:42 AM

Meaning a highly rated prospect who fooled evaluators into thinking they were a great player because they looked the part and put up good numbers, but in actuality were nothing more than high school system QBs. To be fair to Korn, he was never the same after that shoulder/arm injury, but mentally it was clear that he was never gonna be a top level Divison I QB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who in the hell is Bentley?***

Mar 25, 2016, 10:50 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

George Jefferson's neighbor?***

Mar 25, 2016, 10:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, I don't think he is like Willy Korn at all.***

Mar 25, 2016, 11:01 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh, I don't think he is like Willy Korn at all.***

Mar 25, 2016, 12:04 PM

The both have the same daddy, Bobby Bentley, so I figure there is a good chance.

He looks good on film to me.

Mar 25, 2016, 12:10 PM

I think they got a relatively good one. It takes way more than just a good QB though. They will suck.

Korn was more highly recruited than Bentley

Mar 25, 2016, 12:11 PM

And he should've been, too. There was nothing wrong with him when he got to Clemson, but that shoulder injury basically ended his hopes to be a starter here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think some people may see Willy is a more negative light

Mar 25, 2016, 12:16 PM

since none of is classmates seem to pan out either. That was so long ago I can't recall who all he brought with him.

Re: I think some people may see Willy is a more negative light

Mar 25, 2016, 2:13 PM

The best player we got from those Byrnes teams was Chad Diehl.

Re: Is Bentley SCar's version of Willy Korn?

Mar 25, 2016, 12:19 PM

Is there anything besides the fact that he just committed to Scar that makes you say this?

He's higher rated according to 247 composite rankings than Chase Brice, Zerrick Cooper, Kelly Bryant.....

Mar 25, 2016, 1:24 PM

> Is there anything besides the fact that he just
> committed to Scar that makes you say this?
>
> He's higher rated according to 247 composite rankings
> than Chase Brice, Zerrick Cooper, Kelly Bryant.....

Yeah, and it's the Lord And Master Of Unbiased Rankings, JC Shurburtt, leading that charge. Anybody else remember the deal back when he was with Rivals where he once got Chris Culliver ranked 5-stars as a WR...right as South Carolina decided to pitch to him that they were recruiting him as a WR and only big bad Clemson didn't see the real potential in him? I sure do. In fact that list is right here, for anybody who forgot....
https://southcarolina.n.rivals.com/commitments/football/2007

Of course, as anybody who had actually watched him play could have predicted, Culliver lasted about a month at WR for the Coots - and then, wow, astoundingly...moved to DB. That 5-star WR rating came courtesy of two bombs Culliver caught in some lower-tier All-Star game somewhere. Rock on, JC.

Given how he completely sold out his objective credibility there (and on several other occasions) to further USC's interests (and dare I say it, manipulate recruits), I would treat any rating that our man JC Shurburtt can influence with a certain amount of...dubiousness. 247's rankings in regards to South Carolina have seemed particularly...optimistic in the last couple years. The fact is that South Carolina's recruiting fell right off a cliff the last 3-4 years and this past class was filled with emergency stopgap takes...and 247's rankings in no way reflect any of this.

And yet South Carolina managed to go 3-9 and lose to the Citadel in the process. And the reason was really pretty simple: they just plain didn't have any talent anymore, a fact the recruiting services - especially 247 - managed to miss entirely. Something does not square, whatever.

Mar 25, 2016, 2:58 PM

> Meaning a highly rated prospect who fooled evaluators
> into thinking they were a great player because they
> looked the part and put up good numbers, but in
> actuality were nothing more than high school system
> QBs. To be fair to Korn, he was never the same after
> that shoulder/arm injury, but mentally it was clear
> that he was never gonna be a top level Divison I QB.

Bentley looks...OK.

Decent arm. Not a howitzer. Looks good 25 and in, less good on longer throws.

Decent size. What is he, like 6'2", maybe? 200? He's listed as 6'3", 211, doesn't quite look it. Whatever, he's not huge, but he's certainly not a little guy either.

Decent accuracy. Ball moves on him a bit but he generally puts it on his guy in pretty good position.

Quick trigger. Sees it, gets rid of it in a hurry. Does look like he can work at least a 1-2-3 progression. Not a great runner or athlete, but he's not a statue in the pocket, he's not immobile, and he can extend plays some with his feet, get a few yards scampering when he has to. Definitely not as immobile as a Connor Mitch, who I told anybody who would listen that he'd be getting fitted for traction inside two games. (Actually it took him three, so I was wrong. Sue me.)

I don't see a train wreck, but I don't see an All-American either. Kinda reminds me, honestly, of a Sean White at Auburn, maybe even a hair better. Not a bad pickup for most teams, certainly won't be the weakest link on anyone's team, but probably won't lead a program to the Promised Land, either. Bentley certainly doesn't look like he does anything badly, so he probably would do a credible job in a system like Alabama's where he's expected to just manage the game. If South Carolina can rebuild their OL - a big "if", that - and go effectively smash-mouth the way they were 2-5 years ago when they had the likes of Marcus Lattimore and Mike Davis running behind a herd of elephants who were as big as any OL in college football, maybe he can get it done for them.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic