Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I started following Clemson basketball in the 70's, when
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

I started following Clemson basketball in the 70's, when

Jan 31, 2021, 8:52 AM

Stan Rome and Tree Rollins were there. Was all in. Basketball was my game, and I followed as hard, if not harder than Clemson football. Loved listening to Jim Phillips calling the games or watching them, when the UNC's or Dooks came to town - frothing fans, crowding courtside - cheering and carrying the team, it felt like. That was a rabid base. Saved up my $$ working at Uncle Buddy's Piggly Wiggly, and cutting grass at the church so I could go to Clemson Basketball camp. Was at the Beacon in Sparkle city when UCONN broke our hearts, remember the terrible officiating when UCLA beat us in the tourney. When my son was at Clemson, he was leaving Littlejohn after yet another 2 point loss, was voicing his displeasure, when an older Clemson fan stopped him and said, "son, I've been following Clemson Basketball for 30 years, this is what they do, always nearly good enough but not quite. Get used to it."

We've had good, even rabid fans, but the mediocrity has chased all but a few away. I've Followed hard, but finally, last year, I said, enough is enough. After more than 40 years, I've quit on Clemson basketball.I don't have anything agains Brownlee (that's for you Judge), he has kept the program clean and semi-competitive as a mid-level program. However, it's just not good basketball. The kids can't shoot, they play hard, but it is very difficult to watch.

So long Clemson Bball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I started following Clemson basketball in the 70's, when

Jan 31, 2021, 9:20 AM

Thank goodness baseball and softball is right around the corner. Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2021, 9:30 AM

we hope. these days you never know

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2021, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: I started following Clemson basketball in the 70's, when ]

Softball? Really?

Jan 31, 2021, 9:32 AM

Yes, we had some very good players back in the mid to late '70's. Tree Rollins, Stan Rome, Colon Abraham, Skip Wise, to name a few. We also had a lot of players driving new automobiles. BB does seem to run a clean program and for that I'm grateful. However, things don't appear to be improving. I like Coach Brownell, but again unless things improve the rest of the season--it's been 11 years--I'm ready for some fresh blood at HC.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2021, 9:48 AM

Wow could not have said it better Those was some great days and Clemson fans will support BB as much as football if given something to support The adm would never allow this to happen to football without a change Our adm seems to have the attitude this is the best coach we can get and this is the best we can do I’m so glad Terry Don Phillips did not have that underperforming attitude If so there would not be two additional Nattys in our belt Now I know how Wake Forest and Duke fans feel in football

Jan 31, 2021, 9:48 AM

Wow could not have said it better Those was some great days and Clemson fans will support BB as much as football if given something to support The adm would never allow this to happen to football without a change Our adm seems to have the attitude this is the best coach we can get and this is the best we can do I’m so glad Terry Don Phillips did not have that underperforming attitude If so there would not be two additional Nattys in our belt Now I know how Wake Forest and Duke fans feel in football

Jan 31, 2021, 10:14 AM

Like others, I have followed Clemson Basketball for many years -- till' about four years ago**

Wife and I were at Little John watching our Tigers,play their hearts out,trying to win a game -- Tigers rebound and have a 3 on 1 fast break - as they crossed the half court line,Brownell jumps up and calls a time-out ?????????? The players were as shocked as everyone in Little John ??? He calls them over to set up a play ( at the time Blossomgame, was still here ) and if you remember,we only had ""That One Play"" _ ""give the ball to #5 and let him shoot "" on the inbound,opposing team stole the ball and scored, completely changing the momentum, turned a win into a loss -- looked at the wife and said, let's go !! why she said,??? I just went on to the car,with her following me, asking me why,we were leaving the game -- finally told her on the way home,that I had to leave or puke on the nice folks in front of our season ticket seats - haven't been back since -- but that's just me**

Jan 31, 2021, 10:46 AM

Started going to CU bball games, first to see Charlie Scott, then to go to see the games. I was one of Locke's Loonies and sat in the bleacher stands in front of the band. We worked hard at being a pain to the other team, especially to Frank and his New Yorkers. When you mention Wise and Rome and Tree, do not forget Wayne Croft and Terrell Suit. After basketball careers were over they stayed in the Clemson area and became local business men. Now all the good seats go to IPTAY members who hardly get up out of their seats except to go to the concession stands. Even with mediocore basketball we quite often sold out 11,000 seats. So if you want to sell out Littlejohn more often, get more students closer to the court.

Likewise, when I arrived in 1979

Jan 31, 2021, 11:52 AM

Basketball, even Furman games, were sellouts. But it was a different era and a better product before "one and done".

Even in average Clemson years, I enjoyed watching Michael Jordan, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Albert King, Jim Spanarkel, Mike Gminski, Gene Banks, Ralph Sampson, Mark Price, Adrian Branch, Johnny Dawkins, Sidney Lowe, Derek Whittenburg and many more future NBA stars. It was a deep talented star-studded league where freshmen rarely could break into starting line-ups.

Today all ages live on their devices. I'm glad I had the chance to experience The Bookstore, The Corporation, Boll Winkles, The Study Hall, spontaneity, beach music, all types of music, innocence and wonder in the what was maybe the last age of innocence. It was great! But maybe it was just being young ... Rock on Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basketball was a beautiful game then, and it meant

Jan 31, 2021, 12:47 PM

something to Clemson students, fans, and the administration.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Basketball was a beautiful game then, and it meant

Jan 31, 2021, 1:01 PM

I think I have posted this before. I lived in Clemson as a child, as a Clemson Student, then in my professional life. I no longer live there. Until the mid-nineties I believed it was my patriotic duty to attend all home games and to watch all away games. For 25 years we were mediocre at best, horrible at worst. It finally occurred to me that a happy life was about maximizing the positive and minimizing the negative. As a result I quit attending home games or watching road games. I have been blissfully happy ever since.

Jan 31, 2021, 1:32 PM

The kids can't shoot, they play hard, but it is very difficult to watch.

So long Clemson Bball.

YadaYadaYada. So long, buh bye see ya later. I'll never give up on the Tigers. Can't shoot? Sure they can shoot. Sometimes they miss, life can be like that. They play hard? Always, they have great heart and courage. Difficult to watch? Seriously? Have you seen what is going on in the world?

My Dad was a "Clemson Man" and a member of the Greatest Generation. I inherited an appreciation of and love for Clemson from him. I did not inherit any expectation that my happiness would be based on the actions of 18-20 yr old kids.

Go Tigers.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2021, 2:03 PM

Re; shooting - You haven't been watching Clemson basketball. But, cool. We'll disagree to disagree.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who would td this post?***

Jan 31, 2021, 2:16 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who would td this post?***

Jan 31, 2021, 3:45 PM

JK’s army.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: Who would td this post?***

Feb 1, 2021, 6:31 AM [ in reply to Who would td this post?*** ]

The same maroon who suggests that Clemson is a good shooting team.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic