Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How it went down, how it's gonna go down
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,373

How it went down, how it's gonna go down

Nov 24, 2020, 7:30 AM

One thing seems completely clear. Based on protocols and prior agreements, the FSU-Clemson game last weekend should have been played.

However, there is a human element that comes into play. We give the medical staffs at each of the universities a huge amount of discretion, for good reason. And therefore a huge amount of power. For whatever reason, the medical staff at FSU - independent of the administration IMO - decided that the game should not be played. Who knows why they came to this decision. There probably was a key member of the staff who was influential enough to sway the recommendation. And that person probably made their decision with the best of intentions and to the best of their ability, but there's any number of things that might have affected them. Maybe they had a fight with their wife / husband and were in a lousy mood. Maybe they just found out a family member had contracted Covid. Maybe they had a big bet on the game and were feeling nervous (OK, extremely unlikely but just an example). These are human beings making judgement calls - they hopefully do their best but aren't infallible. Whatever the reason was, it's pretty certain that we are never going to find out the details behind it.

At this point, Saturday morning with a noon kick off, the FSU AD - and likely the school President - had a tough call to make and a tight deadline to make it. Would they overrule the medical staff's recommendation and follow the guidelines as set out by the ACC? Or would they back up their experts? We all know what direction they took on this. I can't say I completely blame them for that decision (although I kinda do).

Clemson is completely justified in being ticked off about the handling of this. The obviously logical conclusion would have been to play the game. Lord knows I've been pretty pissed off about it too. But no amount of complaining is going to make a difference.

So here's how this will play out. On December 11, Clemson will shell out another $300K and travel to Tallahassee. In lieu of financial restitution, our Tigers will do unspeakably bad things to the Seminole football team on that Saturday.

On December 18, Clemson will travel up I-85 to our traditional pre-holiday destination. The next day, we'll exact revenge on the usurper, and head into the CFP with a full head of steam.

The Tigers will spend New Years week in Pasadena, and on January 1 we'll mark the new year with a win over Ohio State (again) or Notre Dame (again).

This sets up a championship game appearance against - you guessed it - Alabama. Should be a great matchup - I like the Tigers' chances in this one but it will be a great test.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I seriously doubt we are going to go back to Tallhassee this

Nov 24, 2020, 7:46 AM

year. There is no profit in it for us. Let's just say we do play. TV will make it a night game becuase of all the BS involved. That will cause our players to get home in Clemson in the wee hours of Sunday morning, giving us a short week to prepare for ND who will have had an extra week to not only prepare, but also to rest. But more importantly, we will have to survive a meaningless game without ETN,Rogers,Lawrence,Davis,Bresee,Skalski,Spector,Kendrick, or one of our many other key players spraining an ankle. So why go?. Or what about this.....one of our key players contracts COVID while on the trip. I believe BC or Pitt claimed to have many players contract COVID when they went to Tallahassee...which is amazing considering the fact that the Seminoles have not had a single case since September the 18th.

No sir, I for one would vote not to go.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I seriously doubt we are going to go back to Tallhassee this

Nov 24, 2020, 7:51 AM

I don't think we'll have a choice. The game affects the championship so we'll be required to play it. It's certainly not a meaningless game - if we lose we're out of the championship game!

I would vote not to go, but I don't think that's how it'll work out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2020, 8:19 AM

Based on what I’ve read, the FSU makeup game should not have an effect ACC championship game. If ND, Miami, and Clemson win out, our decisive head to head against Miami puts us in against ND. There is a 1 game leeway given for total number of games played. I am guessing this scenario changes if Pitt and/or VT game gets ‘postponed’ as well, in which case we would need to fill the open date prior to ACCCG. As much as I would love to see our tigers go back down there and blow the doors off FSU, it is not necessary and would put us at disadvantage for ACC championship game prep as well as expose us to unnecessary risk of injury.

Right - we could get to the ACCCG without playing FSU

Nov 24, 2020, 8:34 AM

However, I don't think we'll have the option to just skip the game because we can. Maybe I'm wrong though - I really think they should count this as a forfeit but I think that ship has sailed. My bet is that we're in Tallahassee on 12/12.

All we need is a disagreement from our medical staff***

Nov 24, 2020, 1:41 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2020, 8:16 AM [ in reply to I seriously doubt we are going to go back to Tallhassee this ]

Spud, I believe ND plays WF on the 12th. Correct me if I'm wrong.

OK then. Let's go put EIGHTY on'em.***

Nov 24, 2020, 8:22 AM

Nov 24, 2020, 1:31 PM [ in reply to I seriously doubt we are going to go back to Tallhassee this ]

Just for the record FSU doesn't report their covid cases.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/letters/os-op-letters-coronavirus-fsu-football-reporting-sham-20200814-zzlkuw3harhtzkdqwr4tyoeoku-story.html

Re: How it went down, how it's gonna go down

Nov 24, 2020, 1:29 PM

No chance we're going back to Tallahassee. If the ACC presses it they can use the Covid excuse.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,373
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic