Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I did some quick calculations on recruiting and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

I did some quick calculations on recruiting and

Jan 4, 2021, 5:36 PM

the glaring number is ZERO.

The number of kids we've gotten from the transfer portal.

The landscape of college football has changed. Time to take a balanced approach here and maybe take a handful a year. Especially on the oline.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check the scholarship breakdown on the front page.

Jan 4, 2021, 5:42 PM

We are tight on numbers and need to free up some schollies for the outstanding class we have coming in.

I don't see that our current system of recruiting and player development has hindered us over the last 6 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Check the scholarship breakdown on the front page.

Jan 4, 2021, 5:46 PM

C'mon man. We had two "friends and family" players on the field when we were trying to stop an offensive juggernaut last Friday. Both performed dismally. Do you REALLY think there isn't better talent available to us?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see why your Tigerpulse is 65%***

Jan 4, 2021, 5:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I see why your Tigerpulse is 65%***

Jan 4, 2021, 5:53 PM

You judge a post by its pulse??

You'll figure it out eventually.***

Jan 4, 2021, 5:54 PM

Jan 4, 2021, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I see why your Tigerpulse is 65%*** ]

No he judged the pulse by the post, then it all made sense

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I see why your Tigerpulse is 65%*** ]

He means the poster. You see a chitty post from a chitty pulse non-paying member and odds are in favor he is correct.

Jan 4, 2021, 5:56 PM [ in reply to I see why your Tigerpulse is 65%*** ]

LOL....So you're agreeing with me then?

Jan 4, 2021, 6:12 PM [ in reply to I see why your Tigerpulse is 65%*** ]

However, he is correct in his assessment!!

Re: Check the scholarship breakdown on the front page.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Check the scholarship breakdown on the front page. ]

IWith the money that we are paying our coaching staff, I do not understand why the Swinneys and mthe Venebles need to be on scholarship. I am happy to have them on the team and I respect their contributions, but we could sure use those schollys elsewhere.

They are on scholarship because they earned a scholarship***

Jan 4, 2021, 7:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I did some quick calculations on recruiting and

Jan 4, 2021, 5:51 PM

I don’t believe that Coach Swinney looks at transfers that way. Do you think there is a player out there who is considerably better than players that Clemson has already on the roster? Most players, if they are good enough to make a contribution to Clemson, are already a star player where they are now. Granted, there are probably players out there who would like to be a part of a winning program like Clemson but likely there isn’t a lot like that. And, the work they would have to do might scare them off too. Recruiting at Clemson has become so solid that transfers probably aren’t even discussed. Obviously, I don’t know and it would be interesting to hear the coaches thoughts on that question.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:06 PM

Do you think there is a player out there who is considerably better than players that Clemson has already on the roster?

Without a doubt. Take a look for yourself. Why don't we start with defensive backs? How about Nigel Knott? 4 star kid, played under Saban. Graduated. Ended up at ECU. Do you think he might be a little better than someone who saw the field on Friday night?

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

Jan 4, 2021, 6:26 PM

So talented he ended up st ECU. Glad you're not involved in our recruiting.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:38 PM

Lol..stay complacent.

Jan 4, 2021, 7:22 PM

I don’t blame folks for thinking this way, but my take is pretty simple. If you had the right answers Clemson would be paying you to make such decisions.

Transfers come with a lot of baggage and or risk. You can watch all the film you want on a guy wanting to transfer, but what does it say about his locker room presence, his attitude, leadership, ability to even qualify for admission academically, coachability, commitment, etc?

To me once more and probably way more importantly is that our philosophy has been consistent. Coaches buy into a player and they go all in to be a part of the program in return.
How do you tell a now recruit that we’ve done it that way for years with great results but your scholarship may be in jeopardy if you underperform? But coach, I was all in????

Suggesting our coaches don’t make the right decisions based on their recruiting philosophy is not only myopic, but tells me maybe you aren’t “All In.”

Jan 4, 2021, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I did some quick calculations on recruiting and ]

and you stay panicked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I did some quick calculations on recruiting and ]

I used to think we needed to be a player in the transfer portal but not so much now. I think if you are bringing in 4 and 5 star kids who are competing against each other that has to be as good as anyone you could get in the transfer portal. How do you look at a kid who you recruited who has worked to earn playing time and then when his turn comes up you accept a transfer. I think that could really disrupt the chemistry, trust, and culture on your team.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:15 PM

So if our talented 4star DB's can't compete against decent QBs and receivers - then it must be coaching or the lack there of. That is indeed the problem.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I did some quick calculations on recruiting and ]

"Best is the standard."

"Adapt or die."

And we DIDN'T have all 4 or 5 stars in the defensive backfield at points in the 2nd half. We had kids that would struggle to start at most FCS programs. And it cost us. Either we live up to our own standards or we slip into complacency.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:38 PM

Adapt or die.

Coach K figured that out at Duke.

Maybe it's time that Dabo was not so stubborn.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:59 PM

From what I have seen and read, most transfers are because of lack of playing time. Why would one think he would would get more playing time at Clemson ?

Jan 4, 2021, 7:11 PM

Never been a fan of taking transfers for the reasons already mentioned but I would have a hard time turning down TJ Pledger if he wanted to come to CU.....assuming he’s a good citizen and teammate. Also agree that the Portal may force Dabo to re-evaluate b/c it will be harder to keep kids 3 or 4 years now. Just what it is.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic