Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I ran across this article in Newsweek
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

I ran across this article in Newsweek

Feb 23, 2021, 3:35 PM

The first three paragraphs contained the info about which I wanted to ask:

Last year, over concerns of exposure to COVID-19, a federal judge ended the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's requirement that mifepristone, a medication necessary to terminate an early pregnancy, must be obtained directly from a hospital or provider's office.

On January 12, the Supreme Court reinstated that requirement, over the objection of medical organizations. The ruling put us right back where we were: Among the 20,000 medications regulated by the FDA, mifepristone is the only one that requires an in-person pickup.

The decision was heartbreaking to us, and felt unfair. Patients taking objectively more dangerous drugs are not forced to appear in person during a raging pandemic.

1. What is the secular reason why THIS drug cannot be accessed by mail ?

2. Why would the Supreme Court reinstate this rule against the considered position of the medical community ?

3. What about women in rural or poorer communities ? Does this not disproportionally affect them ?

Here is the whole article if you are interested:

https://www.newsweek.com/abortions-can-happen-safely-entirely-home-opinion-1570687

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I ran across this article in Newsweek

Feb 23, 2021, 4:21 PM

“As a result, Government policy now permits patients to receive prescriptions for powerful opioids without leaving home, yet still requires women to travel to a doctor’s office to pick up mifepristone, only to turn around, go home, and ingest it without super- vision.”

LOL. So they have supervision if they get it mailed to their home but not if they drive it there.

“The COVID–19 pandemic has thus made many typical activities more difficult and dangerous. A trip to the doctor’s office is no exception.”

LOL again. Dr’s office trip could kill me, but unprotected sex with strangers...meh.

I ran across Newsweek once. I used it under a wobbly end table leg at the dentist’s office.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2021, 10:25 PM

keowee

I think that if you read the post again, you will see that they CANNOT get it mailed to their homes.

Do Sudafed next***

Feb 23, 2021, 4:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't read the article so I'm just spit-ballin' here...

Feb 23, 2021, 4:38 PM

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this medication so don't jump down my throat if this isn't possible.

But...

Perhaps they force the patient to get in person to avoid a situation where Johnny gets it without his girlfriend's knowledge and slips it into her drink or food or whatever because he's not so sure he's ready to be a daddy?

null

Interdesting....

Feb 23, 2021, 4:42 PM

"two states – Indiana and Nebraska – independently require patients to pick up the pill in person from their health care providers. The number of abortions in those states has in fact gone up during the pandemic, the FDA pointed out, refuting any idea that requiring in-person visits would make it harder to obtain an abortion."

I'd argue that Iowa and Nebraska are both rural and poorer communities you've mentioned.

Clearly it's not an issue. Even in a pandemic.

Feb 23, 2021, 4:48 PM

This is new to me. I've still made the monthly trip to dr office for written prescription for my son and then to pharmacy with that written prescription.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who cares?***

Feb 23, 2021, 5:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic