Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I propose a swap. We go to the SEC and let the ACC have
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

I propose a swap. We go to the SEC and let the ACC have

Dec 4, 2019, 2:33 PM

the yard chickens back. We can still keep the hens from Columbia as rivals, but wouldn't have to deal with a conference who doesn't care about football. We've always been an SEC football team playing in a basketball conference since before I was born. Our conference rival would go from GT(?really) to UGA.

The league is garbage for football, and poison for football programs. Just look at what has happened to who we have added over the years. The U, freaking Miami hurricanes, irrelevant and unranked. VT, once a power in college football, now unranked. ND wants nothing to do with us in football. Notice they play is in other sports, but leave them out for football AND renewed their contract in football until what, 2024? FSU, well, it took a while, but they folded. Boston College. Once very good.

Now we have plenty of basketball schools. We rule the earth in basketball. UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, Syracuse, Louisville, some really good basketball schools. But Clemson is not and has never been a good fit in the ACC.

The lack of emphasis on football goes from the top down in the ACC, and always has. And the league pays a price, not only in the media, but on the field. The league added some good football schools who have done nothing but go south (in football) since entering. I had high hopes for Miami and VT when they entered the conference. FSU was a great addition in the 80's. But the league has a problem and it resides in Greensboro, NC, and it's not just Swofford, but the whole bureaucracy of the league.

As much as we hate the SEC and all the media attention they get in football, there's really not much to hate. They ARE the best football conference, because that's what they emphasize, as a league. Take the same media talking heads, and they adore the ACC in basketball the same way they adore the SEC in football. Football is our passion at Clemson. Always has been, and always will be. Same for FSU, VT, and even Miami. You can't say that about Virginia, NC State, WF, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, etc. Some schools have a split passion, like Miami, GT, etc. But the basketball schools are all centered on the ACC league HQ in Greensboro, with the exception of Louisville.

I have no allegiance to the ACC, and they have certainly had no love for Clemson, past or present. We don't belong in the ACC. From literally day one we were the oddball. I really would not care, and would probably support a move to the SEC for Clemson, but I know they're full. I hoped with expansion the league would change its emphasis, but it's run by basketball fans. A legendary football school would be wise to stay away (eg. VT/Miami/FSU/etc.).

Now ACC football teams ARE better than they get credit for, BUT most are not football schools. And the conference is run by basketball fans. Let the leagues and the schools reflect the sports, because at Clemson we love football, and we deserve better from our conference.

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but it's just the way I see things. We may very well be the best football team in the country, but Clemson will never get the credit we deserve being in the ACC. Just won't happen until either we change, or the league changes. But adding VT, FSU, Miami, etc. appears in retrospect to be more lipservice than change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think it would be all that good to be the only team

Dec 4, 2019, 2:37 PM

in the SEC that can read.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what should have happened in 1991. Arkansas and

Dec 4, 2019, 2:59 PM

Clemson should have been invited to the SEC; South Carolina should have gone to the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: This is what should have happened in 1991. Arkansas and

Dec 4, 2019, 3:08 PM

South Carolina had already been denied readmittance to the ACC when we took Ga Tech in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is what should have happened in 1991. Arkansas and

Dec 4, 2019, 3:09 PM [ in reply to This is what should have happened in 1991. Arkansas and ]

Actually the coots were in the ACC, left to go Independent, then joined.
Clemson was never asked to join.

No thanks

Dec 4, 2019, 2:59 PM

I like Clemson being part of an elite academic conference as opposed to what the SEC has to offer.

The ACC isn't perfect, and it hasn't always been a great fit for Clemson, but the thought of joining up with the intellectually challenged SEC makes me nauseous. The SEC is full of the biggest bunch of cheaters and wannabees in all of college football.

We don't belong in the SEC, never have, and never will.

No thank you.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I propose a swap. We go to the SEC and let the ACC have

Dec 4, 2019, 3:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I don't know......

Dec 4, 2019, 3:03 PM

having to participate in that S.E.C. chant would make me feel kinda ghey.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: I don't know......

Dec 4, 2019, 7:42 PM

The students would yell S. E. m’f’n C.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I propose another option.

Dec 4, 2019, 3:04 PM

We stomp the dogchit out of all the SEC teams we can get our hands on and show the SEC for what it is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We will do that anyway.

Dec 4, 2019, 3:26 PM

I'm just saying don't expect anyone to give us credit. Not that has anything to do with anything, but as long as they're only picking 4 teams for the natty, you can expect at least 2 to 3 SEC schools in that ranking. And this will come at the expense of an Oklahoma or a Utah, or maybe us with one missed tackle versus UNC.

No one has our backs, not in Greensboro, and certainly not in the media. The SEC is a football marketing machine, and the ACC is a basketball marketing machine. Just how it works I guess. But I am disappointed in our league now, because they have some very talented schools with deep pockets, not playing good football.

Alternate solution is to make the playoff 8 teams. That will give other conferences a better chance against a media-weighted SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By your criteria, we should probably swap with Kentucky

Dec 4, 2019, 3:04 PM

Kentucky would improve the ACC's basketball power.

Clemson would improve the SEC's football power (particularly the SEC East which needs improvement).

Not that I approve with moving to the SEC. Just speaking hypothetically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

That would be a better swap.

Dec 28, 2024, 9:23 AM

Just would be nice for USC to lose their "but SEC" excuse.

Dec 4, 2019, 3:05 PM

Oh, heck naw.

#1 if the coot have done it, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

#2 why should be prop up the SEC *east*

#3 We are not just a *football* school, we do a lot of sports very well... including Soccer (FYI beating Stanford this Friday at Riggs). SEC has no soccer. The ACC matches our programs better than the SEC, both academically and athletically.

#4 I want to play GT every year. We have a score to even and have much more tradition with them than the underachievers.

#5 We are THE founding member of the ACC. It was our post-season conflict (along with the benedict turtles) that helped the ACC come into being.

Finally - winning the CFP is our validation. No need for the SEC. Do you really want coots chanting the "conference".

Dec 4, 2019, 3:22 PM

Do you secretly want to do the S.E.C. Chant?

Dec 4, 2019, 7:43 PM

The woo-hoo ain’t much better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

can we just swap out some board members?***

Dec 4, 2019, 3:30 PM

uof5c, and especially their ignorant and deluded fan base..

Dec 4, 2019, 3:40 PM

would rather die than ever admit and acknowledge that leaving the ACC and ultimately joining the SEC was a colossal mistake.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 4, 2019, 7:47 PM

Dumb idea that dumb guys keep surfacing for no apparent purpose other than a desire to type tripe.

Dec 4, 2019, 7:59 PM

The SEC teams would fight against CLEMSON joining them, as all the other teams would have to hope that the CFP takes 2 SEC teams each year or they would never make the playoffs.

Dec 4, 2019, 8:25 PM

I love the idea..Would make the football season more interesting for sure..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 8:53 PM

Will never happen because no one in the SEC is scared to play the Columbia Coots.......while no one in the SEC wants to play the Clemson Tigers unless they absolutely have too......just ask those bozos on ESPN or Paul Dumbum....Go Tigers!!!!!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic