Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yikes, Mitch isn't going to like this.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Yikes, Mitch isn't going to like this.

Dec 15, 2020, 12:43 PM

As Vice President, Kamala Harris is also the President of the Senate. That means she can move any bill to the floor for debate and vote without having to go thru Mitch McConnell. It's a Constitutionally defined power.

"Vice President Harris will become President of the Senate (automatically) under Article I, Section 3, which also recognizes that the Senate can “choose their other officers,” including majority and minority leaders. But Art. I, Sec. 3 does not give such “other officers” the Vice President’s power to preside, which includes the power of “priority recognition”—that is, allowing a Senator to speak on the Senate floor, and thus to move a bill into debate. Until the mid-20th-century, the Vice President used the presiding officer’s power of priority recognition to develop the Senate into the world’s greatest deliberative body, cultivating a forum for open debate and compromise that transcended partisan lines. When the House passed a bill, any Senator recognized by the Vice President (acting as presiding officer) could move it to the floor, be seconded by another Senator, and proceed into debate and a vote."

https://gregolear.substack.com/p/whos-afraid-of-mitch-mcconnell

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yikes, Mitch isn't going to like this.

Dec 15, 2020, 12:57 PM

And have the bill voted down by the Republicans.

Guess someone forgot that part.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most likely. However McConnell had the power to prevent

Dec 15, 2020, 12:59 PM

those votes from happening, keeping senators from having to add “No” votes to their record on issues where the GOP isn’t populist.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, but the issue can be that the majority leader

Dec 15, 2020, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Yikes, Mitch isn't going to like this. ]

will not allow votes on bills that are not favored by the majority of the majority party. It could get legislation passed that is supported by the majority of the Dems and minority of Pubs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe, but the issue can be that the majority leader

Dec 15, 2020, 1:13 PM

Which it will.

Even a 50/50 Senate if it happens isn't going to give Joe Biden the power to re-shape America. There's too many Dems from swing states and a couple like Joe Manchin who would be actively endangered if they tried to advance a far-left agenda...it ain't happening. The Dems would probably need 55+ Senators for that and that just is not in the cards.

I'd love to see Mitch McConnell parked in the minority to serve out his last term. Necessary stuff would get easier. But we're still going to see a very centrist Senate for the foreseeable future...unless Mitch hangs on, whereupon it's just more pointless obstructionism as usual.

Dec 15, 2020, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Yikes, Mitch isn't going to like this. ]

Likely true, but they will have to go on the record. That, as opposed to McConnell's tradition of never bringing them to the floor.

Forcing a public vote will matter in the public eye. That's potential negotiating power. For example, there were 2 bills that would fund additional election security. He wouldn't hold a vote. Thereby shielding his fellow Republicans from having to answer "how could you vote no on election security?"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 1:26 PM

Not holding votes didnt start with Mitch and won't end with Mitch.

Just something to get a few liberals excited over but it won't help.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 1:15 PM

As a constitutional originalist as you've claimed to be,

Dec 15, 2020, 1:20 PM

how can you take a position against utilizing this power, which is clearly lined out in our founding laws as noted above?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a constitutional originalist as you've claimed to be,

Dec 15, 2020, 1:25 PM

“I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still

Dec 15, 2020, 1:28 PM

laughing at what I said that you just disproved”

Re: “I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still

Dec 15, 2020, 1:30 PM

“Y’all said y’all were unifiers!!!1!”

Dec 15, 2020, 1:35 PM

Re: “Y’all said y’all were unifiers!!!1!”

Dec 15, 2020, 1:49 PM

I’m fairly certain with a little goading and maybe a wine

Dec 15, 2020, 1:58 PM

cooler, we could get you to post a dickpic to prove your manhood.

Re: I’m fairly certain with a little goading and maybe a wine

Dec 15, 2020, 2:02 PM

Re: I’m fairly certain with a little goading and maybe a wine

Dec 15, 2020, 2:20 PM [ in reply to I’m fairly certain with a little goading and maybe a wine ]

Don't you have a flock to tend to?

Ooo. Ooo.

Dec 15, 2020, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: “Y’all said y’all were unifiers!!!1!” ]

Are you challenging another person here to a fight?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Ooo. Ooo.

Dec 15, 2020, 6:45 PM

Well, it should be a battle of wits, but T3 is unarmed so . . .

Re: “Y’all said y’all were unifiers!!!1!”

Dec 15, 2020, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: “Y’all said y’all were unifiers!!!1!” ]

T3,

I have to admit that you are not shy about exposing your lack of knowledge and maturity in these discussions. It takes a real manly man to not only not care whether others think you stupid and childish, but to repeatedly provide them with supporting evidence.

BRAVO, sir !!

Dec 15, 2020, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: “I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still ]

I can see you being anti liberal, but aren't you at least a little "embarrassed" to support Trump? I don't know if embarrassed is the right word, but it would have to suck. I would be ashamed. I am no pro-Biden at all. I would take Nikki Haley over Biden right now. It shocks me how someone of above average intelligence like yourself seems to approve of Trump as a leader. NJDEV I can. He is just out there. It takes reasonable people like yourself to turn on Trump. APM did it. He doesn't support the liberals. It makes no sense to support Trump at this stage imo. Anyway...

Dec 15, 2020, 1:44 PM

Hint: the MSM didn’t treat Trump worse because he gave it back to them;

Dec 15, 2020, 1:48 PM

they treated him worse because he’s a worse person and earned every bit of that criticism.

He also...

Dec 15, 2020, 2:49 PM

Came at them long before they came at him. He played the anti-First Amendment and anti-media card early to placate his base in 2016, and had his most despicable supporters threatening them at rallies and wearing "Rope. Tree. Journalist" shirts.

So they came at him right back, and owned his ###.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Dec 15, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: “I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still ]

Trump got off easy for what a lying inept conman scumbag fraud he is. He deserves worse. It's good he is a 1 term. That said, I am glad you will be going for someone with some character in 2024. There is a strong chance we will be voting on the same side. I want a moderate Repub who is presidential and can lead this country.

Dec 15, 2020, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: “I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still ]

As far as a day in court. They don't give you one if you can't show any reason for it. They had nothing. They were either inept, or had nothing. Either way, they are 1 out of 60. They are about to be 1 out of 61. You can't blame the courts at this stage. Use common sense. You're a smart guy. Come back to being practical with common sense. There is a reason Trump's original lawyers refused to represent him after a bit. He needed a clown show to plead his case. It's all hype to grift people like yourself for money over the years. It's a show. Either way, he has ulterior motives that his current supporters aren't realizing. There is nothing altruistic or sincere about what he is doing.

Dec 15, 2020, 1:59 PM

Dec 15, 2020, 2:06 PM

I didn't think you gave any money. I was just talking about people that believe in him at all that do. I just said you, because you believe in him somewhat. I am not exactly complimenting you. I know you're wrong, but I know you're not dumb. I can tell your smart. I was just pointing out that it all seems so counterintuitive to me.

Dec 15, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: “I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-Trump-supporters-gathring-in-front-of-State-FArm-arena-28083404

Dec 15, 2020, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: “I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still ]

You guys still haven't figured this out! It's not about Donald Trump, the person ... but rather what he represents, i.e. he isn't like you and other leftists like you. Most of you leftists have your heads up your a**es, and really have no idea that your rights and freedoms are slowly being stripped away. If y'all are OK with that, you're free to feel that way, but just about half the country is deeply troubled by it.

Dec 15, 2020, 2:24 PM

He represents something that you don't get and people like me do. He thinks you're a fool and he is playing you. He doesn't care a thing about the things you think he cares about. It's an act. It's a gimmick. If you get a candidate that truly represents the things you care about I will have a lot in common with you actually. Right now you're being conned.

What freedoms have I had stripped away?***

Dec 15, 2020, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: “I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still ]

Dec 15, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to “I know you just disproved what I said, but I’m still ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just come out and admit you hate the Constitution.***

Dec 15, 2020, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: As a constitutional originalist as you've claimed to be, ]

Dec 15, 2020, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Yikes, Mitch isn't going to like this. ]

T3,

The VP is also called the President of the Senate - by the US Constitution. You should study it sometime.

Dec 15, 2020, 3:01 PM

Beautiful ! I had not considered this perspective.

Now Reps will have to take a public stand against some of the more popular Dem positions and bills - a public accounting that they have avoided for the last four years.

Here are a few Democratic positions that the majority of Americans support:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/07/politics/democratic-positions-majority/index.htm

While we are at it, I do not want the Dems to get rid of the filibuster. they should actually make the Reps filibuster popular bills when the Reps threaten this. I want to see Republicans speaking out against environmental protects live on CNN. If they have the courage of their convictions, let they stand up and be counted.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic