Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 3,762

I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR

Jan 12, 2021, 9:21 AM

this year. Thank goodness we had Amari Rodgers and Cornell Powell looking like grown ### men out there. Missing was our Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, Mike Williams, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross types. EJ Williams did well for a Freshman. We don't know if Ross will play again or if it will be at Clemson, but outside of him, is there anyone else at that level? I know we should get Ladson and Ngata back and they were awesome as Freshmen. Just wondering if we are going to have a first round type next year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR

Jan 12, 2021, 9:25 AM

Losing Ross was a bigger hit than anybody imagined. Disappointed we could never keep Ngata and Ladson on the field. Just a bummer year all around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jan 12, 2021, 9:26 AM

WR's don't allow 49 points.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2021, 9:45 AM

Tired D’s that don’t get a rest because of 3 and outs do though.

Jan 12, 2021, 9:55 AM

The offense could've done more against Ohio State, but I can't blame it on the defense being tired though. The defense got a 3 and out on Ohio State's opening drive and then gave up a touchdown on each of their next 5 drives. It's hard to blame that on the defense being tired due to the offense, especially when our offense put together touchdown drives of their own on 2 of their first 3 series.

Beat me to it.***

Jan 12, 2021, 9:59 AM

We gave up TDs on 5 straight OSU possessions in the 1st half

Jan 12, 2021, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR ]

after we got that initial 3-and-out on their opening drive. Our offense also scored TDs on 2 of their first 3 drives. The defense stunk way before it had a chance to get tired.

Also, we've had truly great defenses in 2014 and 2017 that played along side very suspect offenses that struggled to move the ball and put up points, and those defenses still managed to dominate in a lot of games. Our 2016 defense kept Bama within an arm's length for 3 quarters until our offense finally got going in the 4th. Even last year against OSU when we were really struggling on both sides of the ball in the 1st half, the defense still managed to bow up in the red zone and force 3 OSU FGs. This year all of those drives ended in TDs. A similar performance last year would've seen us down 28-0 in the 2nd quarter and we probably never would've mounted a comeback.

The defense flat out stunk against Ohio State. No sugar coating, no excuses. They got flat out whooped.

Never said it was the only reason or the main reason. Just an observation

Jan 12, 2021, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR ]

After seeing the play of Wrs in the playoffs. Remember a good part of the reason we beat BAMA the two times we did we had Mike Williams and renfrow and then Ross and Higgins

Jan 12, 2021, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR ]

Also would have helped the o line too. I felt that opposing defenses were stacking the box more and not respecting the deep threat.

False, DK was a receiver.

Jan 12, 2021, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR ]

Care to amend your statement now that you've been proven wrong (again)?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jan 12, 2021, 9:43 AM

Agree. And not using it as an excuse, either.

However, as for “...giving up 49 points...”, our defense WAS young and/or injured and limited. Combined with a poor game against a team that was clicking. Excuse? Yes. But I disagree with your ‘premise’, leftie.

Dabo is pretty high on both of the Collins(es?) and Stellato in this year’s class. Ladson and Ngata are solid, Williams will have another year under his belt, so I think we’ll be better. Our TEs should be a weapon. Need to shore up the slot - sorry, Spector and Swinney are not on par with, or capable of the production we’re used to there. If Ross comes back, we’ll be MUCH better. DJ has proved he can sling it - plus he’ll also have another year of reading the D and improve his progressions, so we should be okay.

Just hope we’re better able to treat and cure friggin covid....

Message was edited by: Uncle Bill®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 12, 2021, 9:49 AM

I gotta disagree on Spector. He definitely showed flashes but I think was severely under used like the TEs were. They swap out WR way to much and they can’t get in a groove. What’s really gonna make or break next year will be o-line play. DJ looks to be very good but he’s gonna need time to make plays. Also will be interesting as to who is gonna get the bulk of the carries at RB.

Flashes of what?

Jan 12, 2021, 10:02 AM

Spector does not look like a difference maker to me. I think he has the potential to be an average-ish slot WR and really nothing more.

Re: Flashes of what?

Jan 12, 2021, 10:25 AM

^^^ this ^^^

As well as what UB said. As much as we'd love it, not every 2* talent is going to become a HR.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Flashes of what?

Jan 12, 2021, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Flashes of what? ]

He has better hands than most of the four and five star guys who drop passes consistently. He’s asked to run the shorter routes. He also didn’t get many opportunities compared to other guys. I think he’s going to take over for Amari next year so we will see what he truly has then.

Jan 12, 2021, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR ]

While it may be unfair to measure Spector using Hunter Renfrow or Amari Rogers as your metric, that is our (previous snd current) standard. I haven’t seen that in Spector thus far. While I do not analyze game film in detail, I’m still of the belief that if Spector was creating separation as much as Renfrow or Rogers did, he would get targeted more.

Perhaps it’s the OC; or the game plan? Our TEs were under utilized too, imo.

Maybe with Amari gone, Spector will get to play/targeted more, and a chance to contribute more and/or prove himself. We shall see, I suppose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 12, 2021, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR ]

While I agree about the swapping out, have to respectively disagree with you on Spec as Elliott calls him. Said he wants to keep him engaged.

Although with his 6" vertical using him on the boundary with 50/50 balls not his forte. He's got to learn to fight through and use leverage on the defender. Otherwise, go get the ball instead of waiting on it.

I really appreciate the Spectors generosity to Clemson though.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2021, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR ]

Spector and Swinney don't belong in the sentence.

Spector is a RS freshman who is still learning and growing into his game. Writing him off as a "Will Swinney" type player is extremely unfair to a young man who was actually recruited to be in our WR room.

Jan 12, 2021, 10:38 AM

*in the same sentence

Jan 12, 2021, 9:49 AM

I think we really owe Powell a huge thanks for sticking it out at Clemson. A lot of guys in his position would've transferred out, and a lot of our fans had actually wanted him to due to how down they were on him for the UNC(can't remember if it was a hat or shirt) and his low production during his first few years.

Imagine where we would've been this season had he entered the transfer portal during the offseason in an attempt to get more playing time somewhere else during his senior season. This season for Powell really proves that a guy being buried in the depth chart doesn't always mean he can't play.

Agreed we may have had one or two more losses and not been in the playoffs.***

Jan 12, 2021, 9:55 AM

Jan 12, 2021, 10:13 AM

This just isn't true. The passing and receiving stats are almost identical to last year. In fact the passing yards per game were among the highest in Clemson history. The lack of an effective running game is what hurt. Total rushing was down by 1800 yards, 12 TDs, and 2 yards per carry.

Jan 12, 2021, 10:23 AM

To further drive home the point, in 2019 Trevor threw for 259 and 234 yards in the two playoff games and no receiver went over 100 yards, he had 400 yards this year against Ohio. We had 44 rushing yards this year and 160 in each playoff game last year.

Jan 12, 2021, 10:30 AM

I certainly agree that our inconsistent running game held us back at times this year. However, I think one could make an argument that our higher passing numbers were due to us being in a higher need of throwing the ball more often.

Lawrence attempted in average of 27 passes per game in 2019.
In 2020 he attempted 33.4 passes per game.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:45 PM

Yes, we had to throw the ball more because we couldn't run the ball. The passing game this year was better in every statistical category. Total yards, efficiency, etc

Jan 12, 2021, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: I know Germans and obvious, but we were really hurting at WR ]

When you only have to cover 2 WR it's much easier to devote guys to stopping the run game.

Trevor's passing numbers went up because we threw the ball every play while down 21 points.

Also his season totals were higher because we were poor in run blocking and threw the ball much more in early games of the season.

Jan 12, 2021, 12:30 PM

Trevor's attempts per game were the same this year as last. Yards per attempt were more this year, QBR was higher this year, and completion percentage was higher. Clemson struggled to run the ball because the O-line sucked not because the WR were not up to par.

Jan 12, 2021, 2:17 PM

Agree with all the comments regarding the line and our ability to run the ball. It all starts there.

For WR’s this is a deep group with lots of star power. The cream will rise to the top. Nobody mentioned Ajou Ajou but he looks like a guy that could break out next year if others can’t stay on the field. Between Ngata, Ladson, Ajou, Collins (2), Williams, and potentially Ross we are loaded on the edge. Guys just have to stay healthy!

The slot is the one position that we really need a playmaker to develop because Amari was on a completely different level than the others. Stellato or Spector? Beyond that it would have to be DK changing back to WR (doubt that happens) or playing Lynn J there some. We need speed at that position.

Replies: 27
| visibility 3,762
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic