Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I just realized almost no chance of football in 2020
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

I just realized almost no chance of football in 2020

Apr 17, 2020, 8:03 AM

You can already see writing on the wall with politicians easing us into the idea. The reality is it's too many people in close contact. For CFB, one covid related death would probably permanently close an entire university due to lawsuits. It's unfortunate for 5 or 10 schools like us who had a shot.

We all have to sacrifice. Think about seniors who won't go pro and can't hang around for another year because they need a job. Think about what bball players at a school like Dayton already had to miss. They won't have another year like this when powerhouses get their new one year talents next season, if there is one.

Let's move all golf majors to fall and have something. Baseball and tennis (I'll take it) could probably go on in some form.

Our focus really needs to be kids in school again and most of us working and spending.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just realized almost no chance of football in 2020

Apr 17, 2020, 8:27 AM

So many questions...

If colleges open with students living in dorms, eating together in the cafeteria, sitting next to each other in class, etc. then why wouldn't there also be football? Is it only because of the amount of fans sitting next to each other in stadiums?

What if some states are able to open campuses and play CFB but other states and schools can't open (Syracuse, BC, etc.). Does the ACC try and play a season w/out all of their schools represented? My guess is this question is already on the table in the PAC 12.

Apr 17, 2020, 9:04 AM

All excellent questions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Assume all schools need to participate for season to happen***

Apr 17, 2020, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: I just realized almost no chance of football in 2020 ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2020, 8:51 AM

Golf (PGA tour) is targeting June 11. I know it's tough on a lot of people. No quick easy solution. If we all do our part, we can do this.

There is some highly highly intelligent people here on tnet. Please don't listen to these TV talking heads that are trying to create clicks. Sadly POTUS and other politicians do the same.

I digress but here is my point and don't want to offend someone but several tnetters, Neal in NC, Judge Keller et al to mention a couple, Skeeta56 is still working, but they have laid out some excellent ways to accomplish both.

My point is this. It's only been a month. We're not in a depression. Large businesses are fine. One thing people don't realize is shutting down private medical offices and suspended surgeries, eye exams etc... Is costing a ton on the economy.

And we can get those going asap if, if people are responsible and where fed gov can help is getting enough ppe out there where everyone can readily have access to them. WE have to take responsibility and do our part by going way out of our way and social distance, great hygiene, and wear masks.

If we pull together and do this on our own, we can do it. "The bad apple" we've heard it, will hold us back. These irresponsible rallies and federalist who refuse to follow because of some coocky idea or conspiracy theories that their rights are being trampled will ultimately keep us back from opening... In effect creating the opposite result we all yearn for.

Hang in, stay safe. Keep money for food. Don't pay light, cable, phone, rent etc if you're one of those that have to stretch money to get by. Those won't be cut off, most will be forgiven and ultimately covered by Gov money. Just be responsible and listen to what these smart people on tnet who have great ideas on how we can accomplish what we all want. Fall football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2020, 9:34 AM

Quote; "These irresponsible rallies and federalist who refuse to follow because of some coocky idea or conspiracy theories that their rights are being trampled will ultimately keep us back from opening... In effect creating the opposite result we all yearn for."

What other parts of the Constitution do you want to suspend. As long as these protests are peaceful then they have every right to gather and voice their grievances.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2020, 11:04 AM

They're breaking the law and they're refusing to wear masks in public and promote herd amunity and therefore bring about a potentially wider spread of the virus.

Yeah, lets do that and we really won't have football.

Apr 17, 2020, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: I just realized almost no chance of football in 2020 ]

Seems pretty convenient since there's some new virus every year or two. Guess we will all live under house arrest until the kooks who know better tell us we are once again free citizens and not animals to be caged.

LOL. dont waste your time reading this***

Apr 17, 2020, 8:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: LOL. dont waste your time reading this***

Apr 17, 2020, 9:05 AM

Reading what? Care to expand.

Hey..are you contradicting DaBO?!

Apr 17, 2020, 9:27 AM

Saying. be positive Man!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey..are you contradicting DaBO?!

Apr 17, 2020, 11:09 AM

LBB, if you read my post, it was all positive. And no, that's what I'm trying to do is support Dabo. But please point to one negative I said... Didn't know that tryin to get football in the fall was a negative.

And btw Bill, you're welcome. I wrote Lindsey and McMaster and asked for boat ramps to be opened. Sorry, guess that was negative too.

Everybody just take a step back and breathe...

Apr 17, 2020, 9:47 AM

August 1st is quite a ways away (in terms of the virus) and that really is the drop dead date for college football (when summer camps would have to start).

Even if you look at the IHME model - which has over-predicted this thing at every turn, by 10 July there will be ZERO hospital bed requirements and ZERO deaths from COVID-19 for the whole of the United States - including NY. I personally think we will be at a equilibrium state of acceptable risk with this virus well before 10 July based on current trends.

Just wait it out and be positive - I'm quite confident that Clemson students and the rest of the ACC will be in school at the start of the fall semester and that college football will be played in some form or fashion this fall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everybody just take a step back and breathe...

Apr 17, 2020, 11:19 AM

These models you speak of were just that, models. The reason the totals are down is soley because of the measures put in place. Those models according to POTUS experts initially assumed roughly 50% would follow social distancing.

I just cannot wrap my head around how encouraging people to hang in there and continue aggressive measures now in order to have less death and less cases quicker. People on here act like it's been an eternity and it's only been a month. And the only freedom that's really been taken away is sitting at a bar drinking... Yeah, that's draconian.

Re: Everybody just take a step back and breathe...

Apr 17, 2020, 12:05 PM

A month to most small businesses is an eternity. I know of dozens of them who won't be able to open back up if it doesn't happen within a couple of weeks.

Apr 17, 2020, 9:56 AM

Regardless of how fast things start trending towards "normal", remember one thing: Large crowds at major sporting events will be the very last thing allowed. Let that sink in.

On the collegiate level: If it isn't safe enough for crowds, why is it safe for athletes?

I 'magine someone would suggest it's easier to maintain...

Apr 17, 2020, 10:03 AM

testing & protocols of several hundred athletes & support staff, than the 80,000 plus in some stands.

Keep the unknown away, and you're dealing with controlled known(s).

I don't care either way, I'm a safety first in this person when it comes to sports. They're really not important, save feeling for those young men & women that have put so much time in and might not have the payout for their hard work of the games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I 'magine someone would suggest it's easier to maintain...

Apr 17, 2020, 11:24 AM

DSP gets the steak knives for best answer!

Re: I 'magine someone would suggest it's easier to maintain...

Apr 17, 2020, 11:52 AM [ in reply to I 'magine someone would suggest it's easier to maintain... ]

In addition to what DSP said, by 1 September those folks who want to attend a sporting event in the stands could also be required to wear N95 or the lessor P2.5 masks. As mask production continues to skyrocket over the next 4 months with a corresponding drop in hospital demand as the virus cases fall, I imagine we will once again see N95 masks become available to the general public. I still have a couple in my workshop...

My bigger point being - there are reasonable mitigation factors that can be implemented to allow folks to attend games without saying "nope we just can't have football this fall". I just don't think this is another all or nothing proposition in regards to sporting events.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2020, 11:11 AM

All they have to do is let people decide for themselves. Nobody can prove they caught a virus at a game or anywhere else so the idea people are going to get sued (and lose) is ridiculous. There's no reason the 75% of people who want to leave their house should be forced at gunpoint to stay inside because of the other 25%.

Apr 17, 2020, 11:24 AM

Ok, i just looked and there was no policemen or National Guard blocking my driveway.

Message was edited by: kerigantoo®

Apr 17, 2020, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: I just realized almost no chance of football in 2020 ]

I believe the primary legal risk is from college athletes and their families because they can argue it's the responsibility of the university and NCAA to provide safe venues for practice and competition. Not only that, if one player tests positive for C19, it could shut the team down immediately.

The crowd issue is the actual risk of the virus being spread (i.e, public safety). This is totally legitimate.

Does the university rescind scholarships for no play?

Apr 17, 2020, 11:43 AM

Do coaches and AD staffers forfeit their salaries?

Certainly, all ticket revenue collected must be refunded.

Right?

Re: Does the university rescind scholarships for no play?

Apr 17, 2020, 11:59 AM

That's probably up to the individual universities to decide on their own. The obvious answer to your question is no because recruiting and planning continue on.

That said, I bet some or even most CFB coaches will agree to reductions if there is no season.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic