Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Record lows coming in the morning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Record lows coming in the morning

Jul 9, 2018, 6:27 PM

Global warming my ###!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t.

Jul 9, 2018, 6:43 PM

Weather is not climate. And where you live is not representative of the entire globe.

The only way you can tell if there is warming or not is to gather temperatures across a long span of time from lots and lots of places all over the globe.

People on both sides of this issue (which shouldn’t be an issue at this point because of the overwhelming evidence to support it) make these statements all the time.

Let’s all strive to be more logical, please. I doubt you are interested in sound logic but I’ll request it anyway.

Re: I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t.

Jul 9, 2018, 8:26 PM

How do they know what the temperature was a long time ago?

Jul 9, 2018, 8:29 PM

By digging.

You know how you can tell a wet year by a tree having a really wide ring? You can do the same thing by digging, except dirt, clay, and rock go back way farther than any tree.

Jul 10, 2018, 6:20 AM

What do you mean digging?

How do you verify what the temperature was thousands of years ago from dirt?

Jul 10, 2018, 6:53 AM

It's not dirt they use actually. Surprisingly they use ice cores to study climate change. They can go back over 1 million years. Climate change is real though. It's accepted as fact by even the oil companies now. Even the Russian government officials think it's nuts that so many Americans don't believe in it. The difference is they think climate change is a good thing. It's been great economically for them opening up new natural resources. It's created a lot of jobs and has some new regions booming there.

Jul 10, 2018, 7:27 AM

Think about how outrageous what you’re saying sounds....

“They can tell what the temperature was 1 million years ago by studying ice”

How can this be verified?

Theyve been doing this what for a few decades at most? How can you trust that this information is correct?

Jul 10, 2018, 7:38 AM

Scientists think it is pretty simple apparently. I am not a scientist though. Who knows? We need a Tigernet science nerd to explain it.

Jul 10, 2018, 8:26 AM

It’s funny that people trust what an experiment that is impossible to confirm says about what was going on hundreds of thousands of years ago but are so quick to dismiss what human beings claim to have observed and wrote about just a few thousand years ago.

I honestly know better than to respond to this

Jul 10, 2018, 9:20 AM

But, I just can't help myself.

You do understand how the scientific process works, right?
Question -> Hypothesis -> Experiment -> Data -> Conclusions -> Report (and then repeat by others)

I'm a person of Faith, but in no way does my faith claim to follow the above process. It simply can't. They occupy two separate worlds of thought, and while I do hold to critical thinking even in issues of faith I realize that at some point in that logical chain exists a non-scientific un-testable (in the scientific sense) kernel called faith. Don't confuse one school of thought with the other.

Now then to your question, here's a few brief articles on how they determine/test for temperatures in the past via ice cores. This information is readily and freely available, and you know/knew that and are, I'd guess, just arguing to be argumentative.

https://www.bas.ac.uk/data/our-data/publication/ice-cores-and-climate-change/
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-tech/climate-core-how-scientists-study-ice-cores-reveal-earth%E2%80%99s-climate
http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glaciers-and-climate/ice-cores/ice-core-basics/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I honestly know better than to respond to this

Jul 10, 2018, 9:45 AM

I’m well aware I can google and find what you’ve linked....what you can’t find is verifiable proof that the conclusions are correct. And there have been findings that question scientific dating methods....they tend to be brushed to the side though. My faith has absolutely nothing to do with this. I question mine all the time just like I question that we can know what was going on millions of years ago.

My apologies then

Jul 10, 2018, 10:07 AM

I suppose I misinterpreted "but are so quick to dismiss what human beings claim to have observed and wrote about just a few thousand years ago." I assumed you were referencing Biblical claims, my apologies if you were referencing something else.

And as you mentioned below, you were trolling and not really looking to have a discussion. Carry on then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My apologies then

Jul 10, 2018, 10:11 AM

My OP was a joke but I’m serious about not buying that science knows what it claims to and yes the Bible is what I was talking about.

It has proven to be accurate historically time and time again yet the same people who claim to know what the earth was like millions of years ago refuse to believe what humans beings claimed to observe just a few thousand ago.

Huh?

Jul 10, 2018, 11:54 AM

Jhop83® said:

It has proven to be accurate historically time and time again yet the same people who claim to know what the earth was like millions of years ago refuse to believe what humans beings claimed to observe just a few thousand ago.

This makes zero sense.

The summary of your argument: I don't believe science because I subjectively don't want to.

Jul 10, 2018, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t. ]

Jhop83® said:

It’s funny that people trust what an experiment that is impossible to confirm says about what was going on hundreds of thousands of years ago but are so quick to dismiss what human beings claim to have observed and wrote about just a few thousand years ago.

In other words, if you don't understand it....it can't be true.

People debating Climate Science is to me a lot like debating colon cancer. The research is done, the truths are known....there isn't room for a lot of opinion. Except by those who just don't like the conclusions.

And by the way, how do they know the sun is 93 million miles away? I've always wondered how they measure that. I'm sure they're right, I just know how they do it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 11:21 AM

I’m not saying it’s wrong I’m asking how they know it’s right.

“The truths are known”

Yet there are findings that call into question these truths. There was a scientist in recent years who was fired for reporting his discovery of tissue on dinosaur bones which questions dating methods or suggests that dinosaurs roamed the earth not so long ago.....

Jul 10, 2018, 11:56 AM

Jhop83® said:

I’m not saying it’s wrong I’m asking how they know it’s right.

You can read up on the techniques that they are using. They are not controversial. Talking about checking ice cores sounds strange, but so does sending a man to the moon or donating and implanting entire organs.

Idiocracy type stuff in play in this thread.

Jul 10, 2018, 5:43 PM

Not a good comparison. I can see for myself pictures of men walking on the moon and organs are implanted every day.

Jul 10, 2018, 10:25 PM

Dont believe everything you see on tv. Moon landing was fake.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t. ]

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/picture-climate-what-can-we-learn-ice

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 10:25 AM

Thank you.

Jul 10, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t. ]

They also use mud found on the ocean floor to measure changes in the speed of deep sea currents.

Also, rock and fossils are used to determine past temps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 7:09 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t. ]

Geological scientists use ice core samples. Sometimes drilling through half a mile of ice.

Jul 9, 2018, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t. ]

Jhop83® said:

A colleague on mine's son does it with ice core samples.

He's a great Clemson educated man, and he says indeed, we are warming globally in unprecedented fashion.

PS:

Please tell me you being a) facetious or b) if serious, have nothing to do with Clemson other than sports, because that'd be ###### embarrassing.

This wilful ignorance is so bad right now

Jul 10, 2018, 11:59 AM

We have the entire summation of human knowledge available at your fingertips and some still choose to strike down science because they "don't feel like it's true".

Wilfully ignorant snowflakes.

Re: This wilful ignorance is so bad right now

Jul 10, 2018, 5:44 PM

"We have the entire summation of human knowledge available at your fingertips"

Wow. I'm not even sure what this means....

lol....'overwhelming evidence'

Jul 10, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t. ]

as if THAT'll be enough for him....

I hope this is a joke. But sadly it probably isn’t.

Jul 9, 2018, 6:43 PM

Weather is not climate. And where you live is not representative of the entire globe.

The only way you can tell if there is warming or not is to gather temperatures across a long span of time from lots and lots of places all over the globe.

People on both sides of this issue (which shouldn’t be an issue at this point because of the overwhelming evidence to support it) make these statements all the time.

Let’s all strive to be more logical, please. I doubt you are interested in sound logic but I’ll request it anyway.

Jul 10, 2018, 4:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not surprised. The planet is cooling.

Jul 9, 2018, 6:59 PM

Like it or not

Re: Not surprised. The planet is cooling.

Jul 9, 2018, 7:23 PM

global cooling is a hoax created by Canada to Tax the Windmill industry.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good one!***

Jul 9, 2018, 7:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not surprised. The planet is cooling.

Jul 9, 2018, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Not surprised. The planet is cooling. ]

No it isn't, liar.

Your ignorance is not worth more than my knowledge.

Jul 10, 2018, 7:26 AM

We are entering the Eddy Minimum. You can accept this now or later, but it's coming and there's no stopping this natural cycle. Maybe you should ask yourself these questions:

Why did Al Gore (our planetary warming alarm system) proclaim that by 2015 the polar ice caps would be gone and sea levels would rise by 2 feet...then promptly purchased a house on the beach?

Why are banks and financial institutions still writing 30 year mortgages for coastal property?

Why would insurance companies underwrite said mortgages if they were supposedly convinced that coastal areas would be underwater?

Why? Because it's all BULLSHLT. The President knew it and pulled us out of the Paris Climate Accord for that reason.

It's easy to sit there and call people liars when you're too lazy to uncover the truth on your own. You've bought into the biggest lie ever told.

Re: Your ignorance is not worth more than my knowledge.

Jul 11, 2018, 1:04 PM

I'm not even going to bother addressing most of your post...but as to why insurance companies and banks are still financing and insuring properties in those areas...because most aren't disciplined enough to walk away from areas where they think they can still make a buck (even though many aren't) and where they are afraid their competitors would swoop in and take bread out of their mouths. You incorrectly assume that most large corporations have intelligent people at the helm capable of properly evaluating emerging risks...they do not.

Thank God for topical polar ice melting and bringing on

Jul 9, 2018, 8:42 PM

those big record April snowfalls, plus that tropical storm that the east coast Atlantic is more capable of helping form now with the extra heat in the sea water.

On that note, though, I've certainly enjoyed the break in the heat and the humidity thanks to the northerly storm winds the past few days.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Record lows coming in the morning

Jul 9, 2018, 9:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

How low? What state are you in?***

Jul 10, 2018, 7:27 AM

Jul 10, 2018, 7:51 AM

Jhop, im assuming you watch the local weatherman from Myrtle Beach?

The records for the MB area goes back to 1930 if i remember correctly. When he says record lows, he is referring to data they have since records started being kept.

Before this morning, the record low for MB on this date was 62°. I haven't checked what the low was for this morning.

Jul 10, 2018, 8:17 AM

It was 62 for Florence and 64 for the beach. Not sure what it got it down to. FYI the OP was a troll job. I realize the low in my area is not indicitive of the temp of the entire planet.

I don’t think Trump realizes this....

Jul 10, 2018, 8:20 AM

I figured you were trolling.

Jul 10, 2018, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Record lows coming in the morning ]

I am beginning to think you are LLL's scok.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2018, 4:39 PM

Who is LLL?

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic