Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have no suggestions as to what to do. I love BV but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

I have no suggestions as to what to do. I love BV but

Jan 2, 2021, 12:50 PM

our D in the last 2 playoff games has not been good. Also one might postulate that it is the reason we lost to notre dame. Better recruiting? Better schemes? Something needs improving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Same here.***

Jan 2, 2021, 12:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I have no suggestions as to what to do. I love BV but

Jan 2, 2021, 1:01 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 1:05 PM

I think he needs disruptors...no one was disrupting

I think the loss last night was mostly due to personnel

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 1:12 PM

Their OL beat us up

Jan 2, 2021, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I have no suggestions as to what to do. I love BV but ]

We got whipped on the LOS

Of course Venables defense doesn’t look as good when we have a mismatch on the lines

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I have no suggestions as to what to do. I love BV but ]

I would remind people that in our championship years we have an outrageously good D-Line, most of whom went on to the NFL.

We have some really great D-Linemen now, but not all the way across the front. The great ones can be doubled - or chipped - or . . .

Those great lines made everyone else on D look better.

I don't think we can expect to have that great a line every year.

Really have to love Bresee, Davis, and Murphy

Jan 2, 2021, 1:48 PM

We need to recruit some better DEs though. Don't we have some young studs coming up on the offensive line though?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. But we need to recruit some big nasties. The other elite teams are loaded with them.***

Jan 2, 2021, 1:09 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Hire Will Muschamp!

it's college football, every year BV has a different set

of players to work with. Yes, there are returning players, but the dynamic changes every year. Players that were supposed to be the X factor, don't turn out to be the X factor! The coaches are left to work with the talent they have at hand and learn along the way. Look at TL's first year when we had the power rangers return! That was huge!!

Consistency in coaching is key. Keep as many on staff as possible so the system works. 6 straight ACCCG and 6 straight CFP appearances is a big deal! There are what, 112 teams that haven't smelled the playoffs!

Enjoy the ride!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jan 2, 2021, 1:14 PM

Suggestion 1: Realize HIS own kid isn't that good as a LB. He's not a 2nd-stringer on this team or any other "elite" team.

Suggestion 2: March into Dabo's office and tell him he is flat-out wrong about ignoring the Transfer Portal and how quality kids are being passed over by this team. They are not all "bad apples".

and these Rent-A-Players that Ohio and LSU get

Jan 2, 2021, 1:23 PM

would love Clemson just as much, even if only here one year.

There's something in these hills.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Heck yeah, I rent a few LBs, DBs, Safeties and interior DL!

Jan 2, 2021, 1:50 PM

If it means we win!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What CFP team - outside of the 2018 Tigers - had an ELITE

Jan 2, 2021, 1:41 PM

defense?

None, zero.

The game, the coaching, the schemes, the athletes, the officiating - all of it - are geared towards the offense, towards scoring points.

We all need to come to this realization soon and the sooner we an accept it, our own defensive limitations, that better we will be able to adjust.

We needed to go for it on 4th and 2 last night (tied 14-14?). We were moving the ball well enough (400 yards passing). We didn't go for it and the game got out of hand in a hurry. Our best defense last night and against LSU would have been to keep the other offense off the field.

We have yet to accept this, we think we can rely on defensive scheme to stop elite, high powered offenses and we can't. At best, our defense can hold tight in red zone and limit these types of offenses to field goals, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

The ONLY reason we beat tOSU last year was bc we limited them to FGs rather than TDs in the first half.

To win these games we need, at least, 30+ points.

Defense was/is not the issue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Trenches. Need a real running game, not gimmicks***

Jan 2, 2021, 2:55 PM

Re: What CFP team - outside of the 2018 Tigers - had an ELITE

Jan 2, 2021, 3:01 PM [ in reply to What CFP team - outside of the 2018 Tigers - had an ELITE ]

And the best thing our offense can do to help our defense is run the ball and control the clock when we need to. We were unable to run the ball all year even with the most explosive back in the nation.

48 points and the defense is not the issue? Big 12 Much?***

Jan 2, 2021, 3:10 PM [ in reply to What CFP team - outside of the 2018 Tigers - had an ELITE ]

You win by scoring more points then the other team.

Jan 2, 2021, 4:42 PM

If we had 49, would anyone really care if we gave up 48?

I suspect the score next week will be something like 48-40 or thereabouts.

Message was edited by: Matthetiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

and if the defense had covered 3 drives the score

Jan 2, 2021, 6:19 PM

might've been 31-28. if, could, maybe, should. Words for losers

That is where I respectfully disagree.

Jan 2, 2021, 7:42 PM

Virtually any defense in the seven years of the CFP, save the 2018 Tigers, was going to give up more than 31 points to that offense last night (or LSU in 2019).

You have to outscore them.

The best defense is to not let their offense have the ball.

I want to go back to 4 down linemen.

Jan 2, 2021, 1:43 PM

2 ends putting pressure on QB.

Giving up too much rushing yards.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I want to go back to 4 down linemen.

Jan 2, 2021, 2:10 PM

How many times did we let sermon turn around and run the opposite side and no one was home. 3rd qtr, had em 3-11 and let fields flip a little screen, had 3 defenders downfield and let him pick up 15. Way too many times. Gap sound not so much.

Did we miss on recruiting in 18 and 19 or maybe 17-18 Somewhat. Our oline recruiting wasn't good. Our D seemed to be really good but the development? Scheme? Idk, asking. DK and Booth were supposed to be shutdown guys.

Would love to see a good x and o's discussion.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I want to go back to 4 down linemen.

Jan 2, 2021, 2:15 PM

Sometimes their players are better, or play better

Jan 2, 2021, 2:52 PM

than your players. key players missing because of injury, targeting. DK not playing in some games this year, seems he was not focused. Youth and depth as well.

Jan 2, 2021, 2:58 PM

Defenses, at every level, tend to look a lot worse against elite QBs and Fields played the game of his life last night. Sure it would be nice to have some of these highly recruited studs shut down every offense they encounter but its not particularly realistic to expect them to do so in today's era. If they are only getting torched once or twice a year that's a lot better than most of the other defenses in the country.

Jan 2, 2021, 4:39 PM

A lot of our defense this season was 19. They'll get over that as the year goes by.

Jan 2, 2021, 4:54 PM

We'll be okay. It just wasn't our night. Improvements will be made.

Jimmies and Joes. We did not realize how spoiled we were

Jan 2, 2021, 6:25 PM

when The Power Rangers were holding down the fort. Most of our current defensive woes can be traced to lack of a pass rush getting home on a consistent basis. And, if you believe TNets sometimes, THAT is because of 97 blatant holding calls that are not called, every game. So, by drilling down into this issue, we see that it is really one of those "It's only raining on our side of the field" problems.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 6:28 PM

It’s 2020. Every coach should get a mulligan.

I know, I sound like Bo Pelini and Tom Herman. But it’s true. BV didn’t just forget how to coach.

Jan 2, 2021, 6:38 PM

Venables lacks accountability. He does not hold his players accountable for doing nothing on the field. If he grows balls and throws defense under bus after every stupid play, accountability would be taken seriously.

Jan 2, 2021, 6:57 PM

Fail.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 7:53 PM

Against LSU our star corner just got beat and he starts in the NFL. Against OSU our whole secondary got beat and probably none of them will start in the NFL. At least not the starts. Hopefullt Booth and Davis become stars. I like Greene at the nickel as well. I am very worried about our Safties tho. Hopefully the freshman comes in and takes over.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic