Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have no idea why Nolan Turner doesn't start at Safety
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,112

I have no idea why Nolan Turner doesn't start at Safety

Sep 1, 2019, 2:44 PM

By the end of last year he was by far our best and most reliable Safety. He showed it again vs GT. He always seems to be where he is suppose to be and rarely busts. Johnson gets better and better every game, but he isn't as consistent as Nolan yet. Meanwhile the current starters Muse and Wallace always seems to give up something cheap every game due to a mental error. Muse is so aggressive vs the run that you can often catch him peeking in backfield and take advantage of him in the passing game (I'm stunned that more teams don't target him inside the red zone with a TE. They will be wide open in the end zone because he will bite hard on any run fake near the goal line.) Wallace tends to have issues when matched up with small quick guys or big athletic guys in man coverage.

I will say that Muse and Wallace appear to be great leaders, but Turner is by far our most trustworthy Safety.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no idea why Nolan Turner doesn't start at Safety

Sep 1, 2019, 2:50 PM

I really like Nolan. He has a nose for the ball and is right there every time. He will get lots and lots of playing time like is happening now whether he starts or not.

Sep 1, 2019, 2:57 PM

All of them better get with the program this week or they will get exposed as much as dumbo fish likes to use that TE.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2019, 3:00 PM

Because Muse is one of the best safeties on the team. He has worked hard and played great in coverage against GT. I get tired of hearing people bash Muse when they have no idea what they are talking about. Has he gotten beat every once in awhile, sure he has but not nearly as much as some of you claim. For people watching that have no idea what he is responsible each play and what other guys duties are it's hard to say who is responsible all the time. I guess K'Von busting against GT was Muse's fault. I agree that Nolan has turned into a great safety and has earned more playing time but trying to throw Muse under the bus proves that you don't watch many games and want to attribute anything over the DB's head a fault by Muse. Muse isn't a starter in Brent Venables defense because he doesn't know what he is doing and gets beat all the time. It amazes me that a few fans believe Venables plays Muse despite him not being able to cover. That leads me to believe that either BV is wrong or those few fans are wrong, I bet you can't guess who I side with.

Sep 1, 2019, 3:06 PM

Thank you. Muse is a great safety. Turner is undersized. He has a “nose” for the ball because teams are running at him.

I have never heard of teams running at a Safety.***

Sep 1, 2019, 10:37 PM

This sounds like an ideal topic for the mailbag***

Sep 1, 2019, 3:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2019, 3:23 PM

I don't have a problem with Muse and Wallace as our starters , and frankly I think K'von is our best safety overall .
What I will say is that Johnson and Turner don't lack anything from starting and remember both were considered 2* players coming into Clemson .
Venables is sitting there like a jenious .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 1, 2019, 4:23 PM

CUE, I agree. Very good analysis and well said. I like Muse because he is a bull dog but you are absolutely correct that he will get caught cheating up on a run and have to recover. If he were not as fast as he is there would be even more big play busts. Some how he often gets back and makes the play or disrupts it, when they spot his bust and go to his guy. Turner is solid and while I like rewarding the guys that have been around for a while, its Turner's time to lock it down.

Sep 1, 2019, 4:44 PM

Our 2 backups are getting closer and closer but our starters are starters for a reason. Wallace and Muse and the best options for sure.

Sep 1, 2019, 6:27 PM

I think Johnson is the best Safety, Muse in coverage is scary, Wallace has mental lapses at least once a game. I like Turner but I don't think he should be a starter.

Sep 1, 2019, 6:27 PM

I think Johnson is the best Safety, Muse in coverage is scary, Wallace has mental lapses at least once a game. I like Turner but I don't think he should be a starter.

Sep 1, 2019, 6:29 PM

Muse is an average coverage safety but is really good as a run stopping safety. If we had better overall talent and discipline at safety I’m pretty sure he’d play. I trust coach v on that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Turner is not the sure tackler Muse is and all safeties get

Sep 1, 2019, 7:40 PM

beaten in coverage. Turner has been beaten a number of times as well. The tight end from Syracuse last year is one that comes to mind. Alabama's all american safeties got toasted. It's the matchup good passing teams look to create and exploit.

Tanner Muse is one of the most underrated players on our team. He and Simmons give Venables a level of flexibility other teams don't have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2019, 10:27 PM

Muse is really fast for a guy that is 230 pounds. He could also play linebacker.

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,112
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic