Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Arrogance of Dabo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,531

The Arrogance of Dabo

Sep 21, 2014, 12:20 AM

I think it is fair to say that the Clemson fan base has generally been pushing for Watson to start over Stoudt for the last couple weeks. Dabo asserted, in short, that the fan base didn't know what it was talking about and that Cole gave Clemson the best chance to win. Really? Why then did Dabo play Watson for most of the FSU game? Why not Cole, if he truly gave Clemson a better shot at winning? Indeed, it looks like we fans were correct after all. Would Watson have failed to connect that easy touchdown pass to Leggett?

Do you guys remember the situation during Nuk Hopkins' freshman season? Hopkins was backing up the likes of mediocre (at best), upperclassmen receivers like Xavier Dye. Starting after Game 1, many Clemson fans, including myself, were calling for Hopkins to start. Of course, it took the genius Dabo several more games before the realization set in that Hopkins was the best option at receiver. By the way, Nuk is playing on Sundays.

If Dabo were such a great coach, how come the fans can see the obvious long before he recognizes it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Arrogance of Dabo

Sep 21, 2014, 12:22 AM

Hind sight is always 20/20

You're leaving out the fact that Dabo cut a deal with the

Sep 21, 2014, 12:23 AM

Stoudt's for something.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

did you forget that we lost the game?***

Sep 21, 2014, 12:25 AM

Did you forget that Cole Stoudt failed to connect on a TD...

Sep 21, 2014, 12:32 AM

that is a "gimme" to most competent quarterbacks? Do you think Watson would have under-thrown that pass so severely?

Re: Did you forget that Cole Stoudt failed to connect on a TD...

Sep 21, 2014, 12:37 AM

You think that's the sole reason we lost the game?

No, but we would have won had he connected....

Sep 21, 2014, 1:16 AM

Of course, had our center or kicker been competent, we would have won as well. Football is a game of opportunities. You can't defeat the top team in the land on the road and fail to connect on easy touchdown passes, short field goals, and goal-line situations.

Very well could have been. I don't see where the OP is wrong

Sep 21, 2014, 1:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Did you forget that Cole Stoudt failed to connect on a TD... ]

Virtually all competent QBs make that throw. That's a pitch and catch...

And one touchdown could have made a tremendous difference. Very poor execution. There's no reasoning to excuse that lack of execution...

I would not call it arrogance, but

Sep 21, 2014, 12:28 AM

not sure what the problem with recognizing the more talented players in the program. I don't care if they are young, if they are better, they should be in the game. Watson is a more talented player, by a wide margin, than Stoudt.

I have no doubt Stoudt won the job in practice. The guy has

Sep 21, 2014, 12:53 AM

Been in the system 4 years. We all know you have players that play well in practice, but not so well in a game. I truly think Dabo was giving the best practice player the start. Watson is just special and calm under pressure and a gamer. Now he needs to learn how to lead and put the team on his back...tall order for a true freshman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no doubt Stoudt won the job in practice. The guy has

Sep 21, 2014, 3:36 AM

The coaches indecision to name Watson the starter from game one is hard to understand because overall talent (including both arm & foot speed) is far superior to Stoudt....coaches had to see this in practice everyday but wait until the third game to start him...Go Tigers!!!!

I've criticized Dabo for many things...

Sep 21, 2014, 6:51 AM

...but I don't think he mishandled this situation. Watson looked good against UGA, but there weren't enough snaps. IMO, you throw most of SCSU out the window. Ned the towel boy scored against them. Then, last night, Watson was clearly the better QB--and this was in an extremely hostile environment.

Sure, most fans can say, "I told you so." Still, I like the amount of time our coaches took to come to this decision.

Re: I have no doubt Stoudt won the job in practice. The guy has

Sep 21, 2014, 7:25 AM [ in reply to Re: I have no doubt Stoudt won the job in practice. The guy has ]

There is more to a guy than arm strength and foot speed. There is confidence, knowledge and a few other factors. Some things only come out in a game. Just because you said it early and were right, doesn't mean the kid is ready for this to be his team, or that the team is ready for him to lead them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not defending Dabo here....

Sep 21, 2014, 7:07 AM

But you could really prove your point by getting a head coaching job and showing us how to do it. That would be awesome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Th coaches said they'd start Cole,

Sep 21, 2014, 7:24 AM

DW would play and they'd go with who has the hot hand. Cole has been taken out after a few series in both previous games. The timing of the change was predictable.

You couldn't figure out how this would go? Someone, who you are contractually obligated to answer question from, ask you a question and you give them an honest and reasonable answer about an unknown what more is expected of you?

Everybody who has watched our games this year knew this would happen. It happened, so what's the problem? Oh yeah, we lost and it's Dabo's fault because he couldn't predict the future with certainty and refused to speculate on who would get the hot hand in the future.

Your emotional rant addresses only bits and pieces of the information our coaches provided. There are many here who are subject to ignorance, intentional or unintentional. An emotional and thoughtless rant such as yours places you squarely amid them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,531
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic