Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The anti-Clemson attitude on ESPN has a....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

The anti-Clemson attitude on ESPN has a....

Dec 2, 2019, 4:42 PM

simple explanation. It is all about money. Clemson does not have a large viewing market nor do we have a large national fan following like Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, etc.. They want more eyeballs glued to their screen for the CFPCG. The other networks feel the same way. And face it guys and girls, other than us there is a lot of Dabo and Clemson fatigue out their. Most football fans in this country don’t care anything about us other than they are tired of us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:

Dec 2, 2019, 4:48 PM

I don’t see the anti Clemson bias. I really don’t. The coverage of the Orange and White game was like a three hour marketing tool.

We have never won and been left out. It is not our fault that the ACC is in a historically down period with just us as a power.

If GT or Miami or FSU or another ACC team would win a cross-conference matchup every now and then it would help ...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was unreal including the specials on ACCN

Dec 2, 2019, 4:50 PM

Re: It was unreal including the specials on ACCN

Dec 2, 2019, 7:07 PM

Personally I think a large part of the issue seems to be with people assuming we have to be ranked #1 and picked by everyone to win the NC in order to feel like we’re respected.

We got respect in the CFP rankings in the past when we had ranked teams on our schedule. This year other teams are getting the same respect we previously got for playing and beating ranked teams.

Before that we dropped due to not looking as impressive as some of the other unbeaten teams. People say that Bama wouldn’t have dropped if the same happened to them, but they haven’t had that happen to them so people are only assuming.

Re:

Dec 2, 2019, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: ]

There is no bias against Clemson. The same people some Tiger fans accuse of bias against Clemson had the Tigers #1 at the start of the season. The woe-is-us narrative is something Dabo pushes to motivate his team, I guess.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you shouldn't be in the top 4.

Dec 3, 2019, 2:21 AM

We dropped to 5 because of a close win. You're number 4 after one of the worst losses of the entire season. Get outta here with your nonsense. There's CLEARLY been a screwed up narrative ever since the WIN at UNC.

Re: you shouldn't be in the top 4.

Dec 3, 2019, 5:27 AM

UGA is #4 because they have three wins over top 15 teams, which is three more than Clemson has. Is Clemson the better team? You bet. Would Clemson win in the SEC? Yep. Does Clemson navigate a schedule with very little competition? Most certainly. You may not like any of this but it's true. This Saturday Clemson will truck yet another unranked team in their conference championship. If UGA beats LSU (which I don't expect), you guys will still be here railing about the SC loss.

I can see your points but...

Dec 3, 2019, 6:01 AM

UVA will be ranked.

One can claim top wins when the media puts artificial rankings next to them, whether they deserve them or not.

You just said Clemson is better. So now one is selective with eye tests vs schedules when it is convenient?

This seems like the very definition of bias that is being refuted.

Clemson did not benefit from that same eye or artificial ranking so why would others unless it is a propaganda money machine for networks?

I think all want the same standard but unfortunately money talks. :/

Re: I can see your points but...

Dec 3, 2019, 6:55 AM

I'll concede that Virginia may crack the Top 25 tonight but isn't that an arbitrary ranking you seem to be arguing against? You seem to be arguing teams get artificially ranked high. Who then is to say VA is a Top 25 team? Will Clemson fans argue that the Tigers beat a ranked team in the ACCCG or will they protest VA was artificially ranked Top 25?

A lot of people arguing here against the "eye test." Yet, they have to rely on the eye test to argue Clemson should be #1. How else can you? Every team in the Top 4 have better wins. All you have to tell you Clemson is better than the others is the eye test. They look to be the most complete team. Clemson began the year at #1 and outside of about five minutes, has been in the Top 4 all year with no wins against ranked teams. How can you guys feel so slighted by this?

Everyone seems to miss the point.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:43 AM

If Alabama was 15-0 last year and undefeated this year they would have been number 1 all season (even if they had a 1 point victory). Same goes for Oklahoma, Oh St, LSU, you name the other media darling. The rub is that we should have never left #1. The fact that we were outside the top 4 in the first ranking is ridiculous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had this conversation with my boss who’s a Dawg

Dec 3, 2019, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I can see your points but... ]

People seem to forget that aTm was ranked 12 when we played them.

IIRC, a couple of teams y’all beat this year were ranked higher at the time (ND) but have fallen. ND was a win against a top 10 team, now they are “only” top 15.

Seems like the credit should be given when the game was won, after all aTm dropping in the rankings is a result of losing to us, Bama, LSU.

Re: I had this conversation with my boss who’s a Dawg

Dec 3, 2019, 7:58 AM

They are considered as a win over a win in the AP poll. The CFP poll wasn't out yet at the time however, and they aren't ranked in that poll right now, and that's the poll everyone is currently going by.

Re: I had this conversation with my boss who’s a Dawg

Dec 3, 2019, 12:26 PM

On the flip side if we beat an unranked team week 1 who goes on to win out and climb the rankings to lets say #10..you'd want the benefit of beating the number #10 team and not an unranked team. That is why the committee looks at the current rankings and not the rankings at team of the game.

You cannot have it both ways. The only rankings that matter are the ones next week when the season is over. The committee compares the resumes for the entire body of week and not on a week to week basis, I think people tend to forget that

This is exactly my point

Dec 3, 2019, 11:25 AM [ in reply to Re: I can see your points but... ]

We are saying the same thing, just using it to back our own argument. You just used it to justify why SEC is arbitrarily ranked at the beginning of the season. That head start matters to how a team "justifies" their wins through the season. Now at that end, with a body of work, those that were not there have an uphill battle. What if UVA started at 10 this season as a preseason favorite. Would they be afforded the same justifications?

Auburn and others had 3 losses when Wake had 1, yet they were way ahead of Wake.....why? Agenda.

Honestly, past the top 10 it is a crud shoot on who/where people should be ranked.

Actually, Clemson has proven it on the field, last year and this year (Stats) vs. the other teams. Consistency was and has been afforded to others (Bama), and heck thy are still trying to get Bama in over your Pups. So why not extend that same to Clemson is what most are upset about (due to a scare of a team that beat the team that beat you)?

Let's play this game next year with this same type of make believe crud.

Clemson 1
ND - 4
UVA 9
Louisville 13
UNC 16
Miami - 22

Same stuff, different conference in making up these "perceived" rankings.

Clemson fans are upset because the Cult of the SEC

Dec 3, 2019, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I can see your points but... ]

and all their minions in the media CREATE "quality wins" with the narrative that Florida, Auburn, Georgia, you name the school are sooooo great that every week its an "epic matchup" of "SEC powerhouses", yada, yada, yada. So OF COURSE an ordinary UGA and ok LSU team get ranked higher than they should be. I personally dont care where we are in the top 4, but putting us at 5 was beyond stupid, and should be called out.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can see your points but...

Dec 3, 2019, 7:57 AM [ in reply to I can see your points but... ]

Clemson has benefited in the rankings by beating ranked teams in the past though. We've been the #1 seed in the CFP rankings in two different seasons, and we had several wins against top 25 teams in both of those years. In fact, we lost to a 4-8 Syracuse team in one of those years and ended the regular season at #1.

Unfortunately we didn't have any real national 'gotta watch'

Dec 2, 2019, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: ]

games after Texas A&M in week 2. ESPN the Hater did a special Gameday in Death Valley on the opening Thursday night game against Ga Tech.

A lot lies in the ACCN coming on board also from a national exposure standpoint. With the lack of top notch teams this season and that whole new 3-game Saturday outlet, we've seen a lot less ACC on ESPN / ABC and more on ACCN. So while Clemson may be getting more prime national spots, much of our competition has been further off the radar all year. The lack of overall interest and exposure adds up after a while. Not a great formula for the ACCN rollout to coincide with this particular year, but it is what it is.

Go Tigers! Beat the Hoos!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep..as said for years Clemson is a small cog or part of College FB History til 80's under Ford..

Dec 2, 2019, 4:50 PM

But bless Coach Frank Howard for giving it his 110% effort getting his Boys into various Bowls, especially when ranked only #10 vs #1 ranked LSU & The infamous Chinese Bandits in 1958 who may have invented Gang Tackling.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get it, and I don't see it.... ESPN has been a

Dec 2, 2019, 4:53 PM

huge recruiting tool for us. Every home game, spring game, etc...

Do some personalities have bias? Sure. But the network on the whole has been good for Clemson, IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We also have a coach that says a lot of things the

Dec 2, 2019, 5:16 PM

lamestream media doesn't approve of.

Re: We also have a coach that says a lot of things the

Dec 2, 2019, 5:45 PM

It's not really a bias against us, more of a crush on Abalama and a few other historical teanns (ND, O31O, etc?). Other than a few teams, any other team does what we did last year and get ranked #1 to start the year, and then have a bad game, they drop to #3 also. But Bama, ND, O31O and a few others would be given a Mulligan and not drop. If Bama was on a 26 game winning streak they would be #1 regardless of a bad game.

That's the real issue. Not dissing us. We're just wanting that free pass a few teams get and I'm not sure we're gonna get that for a few more years.

Re: The anti-Clemson attitude on ESPN has a....

Dec 2, 2019, 6:15 PM

I've heard good and bad about Clemson on ESPN. Generally, I am just sick and tired of the preferential treatment of the "blue bloods" and especially SEC bias.

None of the good snippets outweigh the sometime spiteful way Clemson is treated in like situations. Close wins by Clemson are a loss and never discussed or were great wins by the others.

2 Quick examples:

Last year, Clemson gave up 600 yards against Uof6C and the narrative was the Clemson D is broke and the DBs are a weakness.

This year Ole Miss gets over 600 yards against LSU and it's pretty much swept under the rug and not discussed.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 7:00 PM

I’ve heard quite a few mention the LSU issues on defense. I think sometimes it depends on when you have the tv or radio on and who you’re listening to talk at that moment.

What I see happen on here so often is one guy will be on ESPN and say he thinks LSU is unstoppable or something along those lines. Someone on here will hear that or TigerNet will run a story on it(wonder why they run those stories so often?) and then the narrative becomes that all of ESPN shares that guys opinion.

If someone on ESPN brings up LSU having issues on defense it somehow doesn’t bring many posts on here or a story from TigerNet hoping to drive clicks from angry readers.

OP is correct! And

Dec 3, 2019, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: The anti-Clemson attitude on ESPN has a.... ]

I agree 100% with you OP. The reason so many who take the time to log on to TNet don't get it is b/c they don't make it blatant! And somebody said it, "it's not so much hate for Clemson so much as it is love for other teams"!
It's the whole reason the SEC gets more love - because they have those large rabid fan bases who call in, spend thousands a year on their team and are really invested in their team. They want to make sure they talk about those teams who have fan bases like that to keep the people who are keeping the lights on happy!
But, some of them do get on my nerve because they present themselves like they are all about the purity of the sport. If they were; a team wouldn't have to be a blue blood. Or have the largest fan base. Or have a large number of wealthy boosters!
That's just not the way of the world. And a reason some people get turned off by the sport. It's a facade if you honestly think the little guy can really get a bone when all the big dogs are around. Except Clemson has stepped in and said, "forget your wants we in here and taking this bleep"! But now we doing too much by trying to get multiple! One was fine with them - but multiple and not showing any signs of slowing down - they can't handle that!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 6:33 PM

I've actually seen differently. So many who are not already biased with a team have come to LOVE the Clemson Tigers, especially younger kids coming up through High School. We are talked about as being a dream school by MANY...more than you know. Simply because we have come to dominate the blue bloods and come across as the cool, relatable team....in other words... America's Team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 7:19 PM

We would be amazed at the support Clemson receives all across the country. Many people are fed up with some of the "blue bloods" and like to see a new kid come on the block and upset their applecart. Last year when we took Alabama behind the woodshed, I had calls from all across the country from relatives and friends congratulating Clemson and several remarked how their friends were pulling for the Tigers. Don't sell our audience short, there are many fans out there pulling for the Tigers. Now, if Clemson continues to have success there will be many wanting to see some other team come forward and challenge the Tigers.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't expect them to get over it anytime soon.***

Dec 2, 2019, 9:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 9:03 PM

I was under the impression that over the last 3/4 years some of our games had very high viewer ratings. I guess that could have been all about our opponent.

Dec 2, 2019, 9:09 PM

Just win and MAKE them watch. Simple as that. Enough with the hand wringing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2019, 2:10 AM

ESPN has a business interest in promoting the SEC. Beyond that, what they care about is the size of the market, and we are small potatoes there. It goes deeper, but those two things drive most of it.

it's not about how many people are in your "viewing area"

Dec 3, 2019, 2:16 AM

It matters how many people want to watch you. Our televised games consistently have high viewership. Just as many or more people will watch the playoffs this year. I'm not buying that people won't watch because we're in the playoffs again (assuming we can take care of Virginia).

Dec 3, 2019, 4:39 AM

There is no anti-Clemson attitude on ESPN and your theory is nuts.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:13 AM

ESPN has ruined my life.

Dec 3, 2019, 7:16 AM

Mine too. My life is in shambles due to ESPN.

NEWS FLASH. THE NUMBER 1 SEED GOING INTO THE PLAYOFFS

Dec 3, 2019, 8:57 AM

HAS NEVER WON IT.

This is one time we should not beyotch about being #2, 3, or even 4, as long as we get invited to the dance. We will have to win two games, no matter what the seeding is!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NEWS FLASH. THE NUMBER 1 SEED GOING INTO THE PLAYOFFS

Dec 3, 2019, 10:14 AM

Amen!
It is actually an advantage to be a natty dog=
no respect equals motivation

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not so fast...

Dec 3, 2019, 10:46 AM

Lil' ole Clempson is everyman's story, and for the most part we are loved for knocking out the big bad elephant and others.

Re-consider the filter through which you man's story.

Dec 3, 2019, 12:09 PM

I don't have a huge issue with the rankings. Clemson is right about where they should be. When the NC game was played.. .Trevor was playing ok.. not great, and NC scored enough points to make it look like the defense wasn't for real this year. Dropping Clemson then was no big deal.. especially since it really didn't matter.

My issue is that as the season has gone on... they have looked for every possible reason to continue to disparage Clemson's performance. The NC game was 7 games ago. The lowest margin of victory since then has been Fl State at 31 and it has steadily increased from there. Trevor Lawrence settled down and started playing championship football again when it mattered and has been unbelievable the last 7 games except for the 2 int's at Louisville (still won that game by 35 by the way).

My issue is that the media and the announcers just can't let it go. They keep bringing up a win at UNC that was 7 games ago. This is a totally different team now... as it always is during championship season. Trevor Lawrence is playing amazing, yet they keep bringing up the early season interceptions... he's a sophomore by the way and isn't perfect. There was one game where Lawrence was dominating and the announcers tried to analyze his every move and thought he should have thrown away every pass... including a long TD to a tight window. This past weekend he through a ball on the run to the sideline. The pass was barely OB. Only our receiver had a chance at it... and they were like: " I'd really like to see him throw it away in those situations".

Give me a break!

Now that the Tigers are on a huge win streak the media is starting to come around... not because they want to... but because they are covering their bases. No one can argue that they were given a fair shake during the first half of the season.

Alabama was ranked high even though their strength of schedule during the first 2/3 of the season was worse than Clemson's. They have two quality losses and ZERO quality wins, yet it took the loss to Auburn to drop them to 8th. They get credit for past seasons on a regular basis.. but everyone argues that it's all about THIS season. Clemson would drop that far with one loss.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic