Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I feel that our receivers have developed a bad habit.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

I feel that our receivers have developed a bad habit.

Oct 26, 2020, 10:51 AM

On the 50-50 balls they are not attacking them at the high point, thus allowing the DBs to get a play on the ball. Am I wrong?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I feel that our receivers have developed a bad habit.

Oct 26, 2020, 10:52 AM

YEP OUR RECIEVERS SUCK. LETS GET RID OF THEM ALL AND START OVER. SMFH.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2020, 10:57 AM

That is not what I said. If that is all you can say, you obviously do not know enough about college football to hold an intelligent conversation.

This is all you are ever gonna get out of DERP, regardless

Oct 26, 2020, 11:06 AM

of subject.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:00 AM

They are definitely not Higgins or Ross with regards to high pointing passes or back shoulder fades. They also were not getting much separation Saturday. Wouldn't call it a bad habit, just not developed enough yet unfortunately. Need to get better for when play better teams.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:05 AM

A week ago, Amari and Davis Allen both made beautiful catches on balls over their heads.

That was a tremendous development to me, because when Trevor throws'em high, they're usually fastballs. It seems like against Tech he took a little off his fastball, making his throws more catchable, and his receivers responded.

Vs Syracuse it looked like the heater was back. On the pick-6, he threw late and compensated by throwing too hard--possibly Amari drifted out of the open seam, but TL was just plain late with the throw.

I can't say for sure--i watched on the radio Saturday, so I'll try to get the youtube replay later.

Perhaps a few instances but not habitual. CU’s WRs...

Oct 26, 2020, 11:08 AM

are exceptionally talented, well coached, developed and emerge from The Program with NFL skills. This is fact based on recent history.

Some players have better natural instincts to “high point” the ball , others will require more development. In basketball, some players naturally excel at rebounding. Similar skills.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What exactly is the "high point"? The high point of what?

Oct 26, 2020, 11:31 AM

I hear that term thrown around a lot but not sure anybody really knows what it means.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It means exactly what is sounds like...

Oct 26, 2020, 11:38 AM

High-pointing the ball means the receiver jumps to catch the ball at its highest point so the defender can't catch or deflect it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It means exactly what is sounds like...

Oct 26, 2020, 11:43 AM

I think they should change this term to posterizing. Technically if you think about it the ball is at its lowest point when it is caught. Just a little funny thought not meant to be taken seriously. Lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2020, 12:39 PM

It’s been changed a while ago among the kids - it’s called “got Mossed” as in Randy Moss out jumping you.

Not All Of Them

Oct 26, 2020, 12:49 PM

I wouldn't have said it like you said it; but I know what you mean. I don't think what you are saying fits Amari this season.
Go get it is always better than - wait for it to come to me! In H.S. many of these guys got such separation or were so much better than the DB they didn't really have to compete for the football. I have wondered if that "game-time mindset" sneaks in they learned in H.S. Because, they certainly get challenged at practice to compete for passes!
I have posted I thought Once Ladson gets that - that's my ball so give me that and get out the way "attitude" he would be unstoppable! Ngata had one I thought he "didn't meet the ball"! In basketball sometimes you can't rely on the ball getting to where you are - you have to "meet the ball and go get it"!
I know what you mean - I don't think it's that wide spread to have said "Clemson WR's"! Just a player here/there.

But, we good! These guys and these coaches will get it worked out.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2020, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: It means exactly what is sounds like... ]

I know what you mean though. The nerd in me wonders the same thing. The highest point of the ball on most all down-field passes could not be reached by a normal human. Except maybe Hunter Renfrow. :)

No, that's not what it means. That's why I'm asking.***

Oct 26, 2020, 1:33 PM [ in reply to It means exactly what is sounds like... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Oct 26, 2020, 3:29 PM [ in reply to It means exactly what is sounds like... ]

Nice explanation, but it still doesn’t make sense.

If you graph the trajectory of a forward pass, In most cases a pass is at its highest point exactly halfway between the QB and the receiver. So if anyone is going to ‘high point’ it, it’s not the intended receiver. On a 20-yard pass, the high point is 10 yards from both the QB and WR.

I think you mean that a receiver elevates to take possession of the ball at the ‘highest point possible within his catch radius’.

Obviously my explanation is not ever the intention of any player, nor the meaning of any analyst. Just agreeing with the OP who thought the term is NOT self-explanatory.

I think a better, more accurate, but much less cool sounding

Oct 26, 2020, 4:18 PM

way to describe what people mean by "high pointing" would be to say "jumped straight up, really high, with arms fully extended", because that's what they mean. The player is NOT catching the ball at it's highest point, which would be absurd.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: What exactly is the "high point"? The high point of what?

Oct 26, 2020, 11:39 AM [ in reply to What exactly is the "high point"? The high point of what? ]

Dabos got this! We don’t have a muschamps on the staff so keep the faith. 400 yards Saturday.

Re: What exactly is the "high point"? The high point of what?

Oct 26, 2020, 11:59 AM

One thing to throw out there is this. Scott has been the receiver coach for a long time. TG is the new receiver's coach. I am sure TG will do fine but there will be a difference between the 2.

Re: Yes

Oct 26, 2020, 11:44 AM

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:50 AM

We have been spoiled by seeing freshmen receivers come in and make instant impact ....... Ross, Higgins, Watkins, etc. We forget that may of our great receivers took several years to develop ....... guys like Mike William, Duane Allen, Leggett, now Powell. These guys are learning, so I will expect them to get better as the season progresses.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2020, 3:33 PM

I tell you what, Cornell Powell (17) and EJ Williams (6) are providing great blocks on the edge to spring Amari. EJ is gonna be great.

Oct 26, 2020, 5:21 PM

I have thought the same thing. The best player I ever saw attack the ball was Sammy Watkins.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic