Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey P said our 3 RB’s are not Elite, and I
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Mickey P said our 3 RB’s are not Elite, and I

May 4, 2018, 8:48 PM

sadly concur. Do you Tiger Fan?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Running Backs? We have 2 elite RBs for sure

May 4, 2018, 9:03 PM

Anyone who thinks TF isn't elite just wait a few months. Top CFB teams have 2 RBs. One's just as important as the other to their success

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

We won a national championship two years ago

May 4, 2018, 9:13 PM

With what I would consider less than elite running backs.

And as much as I loved Wayne and Co., our current crew is much closer to being “elite” than the stable we had then.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When they block as well as Gallman then we'll have something really special

May 5, 2018, 12:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: We won a national championship two years ago

May 5, 2018, 9:13 AM [ in reply to We won a national championship two years ago ]

id take wayne over any other rb; without wayne we wouldnt have won the natty.

Re: Mickey P said our 3 RB’s are not Elite, and I

don't exactly agree... well, maybe not elite, but ETN is just warming up, and I think we might see some real juju out of Feaster yet. I would love to see them - and Choice - really take off this year. Each seems to have a particular style and method that is appropriate for the game plan and the play to call, but the new guy who recently committed looks like ETN-ala-Wayne Train. We'll be good.

Has Travis ETN quit the team?!?

If not, I’ve lost all respect for Mickey. And I like Mickey.

~JKB

Etienne is elite. Not sure about Feaster.

He definitely can be though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

^This***

May 4, 2018, 9:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I don't think we have any top tier backs but

May 4, 2018, 9:21 PM

Feaster and Etienne are really good and solid 2nd tier. Etienne may also be top tier good before he leaves Clemson.

Re: I don't think we have any top tier backs but

May 4, 2018, 9:31 PM

Agree with this. They aren’t elite but TF and ETN are very very good and choice is above avegrage. However, we are a team that relies on elite rb’s to win. We have elite WRs and an elite QB. Just need good RB play and take a page out of Gallmans play book and protect what I hope to be TLaw with everything they have.

May 4, 2018, 9:58 PM

ETN only broke Spillers freshman record for TDs but yea he is not elite. Lmao dude is as elite as they come. Can't wait to see how he has improved. Feastmode can become great and Choice is dang good.

May 4, 2018, 10:31 PM

Man if you think ETN is in Spillers league I’ll lmao at that. I like Travis and like I said he is very very good. This team now doesn’t come close to being and equal comparison to when Spiller played for Clemson. Spiller was Clemson offense and he still got it done. I know the records Travis got but don’t think that puts him in a class with CJ. Like I said... our offense doesn’t center on elite backs when we have elite WR and QB play. Couple that with very good RBs and this offense can be something special. They just need to learn to sell out to keep TLaw upright.

May 4, 2018, 11:32 PM

After one year they are about even to me. Time will tell if he becomes as good as Spiller or not but his Freshman year was almost as good and who knows if he would have had the touches that Spiller had. I have not seen many players have the burst that ETN has.

May 4, 2018, 11:53 PM

No doubt he has great burst. He also has great balance... probably better than CJ.

To me CJ even as a freshman (to a lesser degree with Davis there) still could putnthe offense on his back and carry a team. To me ETN can’t carry a team or will them to victory. I’ve only seen 4 players at clemson in my time be able to will a team to victory so it’s not a negative. I really do think ETN is a great back, just not in my top 5 of Clemson players of my lifetime like CJ is.

May 4, 2018, 11:58 PM

He has only played one year dude. Ofcourse he isn't top 5 but he might become that. FSU and BC he carried us to victory. He is just getting started and will only improve imo. Dude is elite in my eyes. I cannot wait to watch him this year.

May 5, 2018, 12:03 AM

Ya i hope he becomes the back CJ was. No matter what I like all 3 of our backs but I guess I just don’t use elite to define them. Maybe partly bc we should be and hope to be an elite passing team this year. If we have a vertical passing game this will open up the running game even more for those guys. Just guess I’m overly critical because CJ to me was one of the best to ever step foot on campus.

Message was edited by: ClemsonME08

May 5, 2018, 9:05 AM

I agree that Spiller has the bar set very high. EtN has the ability to be elite and has elite talent. No last year he was not on the same level as Chubb, Barkley, or Jones but I think he has the ability to be but he won't get the touches those guys got because of Feastmode and Choice. He is as elite as any Freshman I have seen besides Spiller and Watkins but he is right there close to them. Higgins is too as a WR imo.

May 5, 2018, 9:10 AM

This I agree with. He obviously has elite speed and balance and think he will become a complete back in time. Hopefully he doesn’t get the touches of those other guys as that would mean we aren’t balanced. I’m very high on the TLaw Higgins combo if they are on the field together.

May 5, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think we have any top tier backs but ]

I love all our guys because they are Clemson men. But I do not think ETN is in spillers league. Back when we didn't have the talent we have now spiller was our entire offense. I mean the man could catch a 50 yard wheel rout pass. That was impressive. Also let me know when ETN has as many APY as spiller and returns for TD.

As far as elite goes I think ETN is close but just not quite elite. Elite to me is at least top 3 or 4 RB in the NCAA. CW is elite, DL is elite, I feel TL will be elite but time will tell.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2018, 10:05 PM

ETN is elite for sure. Not many freshman RBs at a power 5 school have had as many TDs, especially with as little carries as he has.

May 4, 2018, 10:30 PM

It's amazing how much more elite the running backs can become if the defense has to defend 60 yards as opposed to 20. Gonna be fun to watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2018, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey P said our 3 RB’s are not Elite, and I ]

etn is not elite. yet. oh but he could be quickly,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.***

May 4, 2018, 10:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2018, 11:03 PM

Disagree! Consider this, ETN and Feast had much less than half the number of carries as the other ELITE RBs.
Penny 289 carries
Love 263 carries
Chubb 223 carries
Barkley 217 carries
Guice 237 carries

Even our own QB had far more carries than our RBs had. Let’s just take KB’s 192 carries and split the evenly giving ETN another 96 carries and Feast another 96 carries. Then average and add to ETN and Feast actual stats.... Equals 1457 yards and 24 TDS for ETN and 1273 yards and 13 TDS for Feast.

What? You still aren’t convinced our RBs are elite. What if ETN had 289 carries like R Penny did? Take ETN’s avg of 7.2 yards per carry and that gives ETN 2080 yards and 35 TDs. Feaster’s would have been 1791 yards and 19 TDS.

This is my first post on TNet so be kind to me.

Take that whoever it is that said our RBs aren’t elite.

Is that a good thing though? I think it's harder to maintain

May 5, 2018, 10:04 AM

a high level of production carrying the ball 20+ times a game. Most backs put up better YPC numbers splitting time and getting less touches.

Bryce Love carried the ball 263 times and averaged 8.1 YPC while playing a good portion of the season with an ankle injury. That's insane.

Penny maintained an average of 7.8 YPC while carrying the ball 22 times per game. Sure he faced lesser competition, but, assumably, he also played behind a less talented OL which balances things out quite a bit.

Barkley's rushing stats were only good, not great, but he also caught 54 passes for 632 yards (11.7 YPC) and returned kicks.

I think Etienne can reach that level, but I'm hesitant to say that he's there now. 7.2 YPC is fantastic, but he only got 8 carries a game last year. I'd like to see what he can do with about twice the workload before saying he's truly elite.

May 5, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey P said our 3 RB’s are not Elite, and I ]

Our Offense is not built to do that. If we ran the ball like some of those teams we would struggle. We use a vertical passing game, RPO, and spread scheme to open up the run game. So more of the touches are passes and QB run. Now what if ETN were at GA. I think Sony Michel would have played back up to ETN. Chub would still have gotten his carries.

Well done on the homework and first post ...***

May 5, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey P said our 3 RB’s are not Elite, and I ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was your second post. Who are you trying to fool?

May 12, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey P said our 3 RB’s are not Elite, and I ]

Good post though.

what other teams stable is better??

May 4, 2018, 11:08 PM

ridiculous statement

May 4, 2018, 11:11 PM

Both TF and ETN can run the crap out of the ball. They have elite speed. But I don't know that they are elite in pass protection yet. They have super high ceilings. But they are young and haven't arrived just yet.

Message was edited by: SageMoody®

May 4, 2018, 11:16 PM

LBB , you're fine , but I've never thought of MP as much of an elite writer or judge of talent .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 5, 2018, 2:00 AM

Wait and see how they look with a dangerous passer under center. All it takes is a split second to turn a play totally around. LBs have to freeze a split second longer and the RB is gone. I think ETN has the potential to be great.

May 5, 2018, 2:49 AM

Two things that are sort of on topic/off topic.

First, could you imagine adding a healthy Spiller in his prime to this team? It would essentially make us almost impossible to stop, provided Kelly steps up his game in a big way or Lawrence/Johnson become the starting QB.

Second, it seems that one of our weaknesses from the running back position is blocking. We have used a jumbo package very sparingly with Big Dex and Wilkins. It’s a very hard package to defend. The defense doesn’t know which could get the ball handed off to them, if they’re just blocking, or if one of them will just fall off their block and run to the corner of the end zone. My question is this. If blocking is a weakness and we are at a very critical part of a game I wonder if we have ever considered using Wilkins in the RB spot just to block this giving the QB more time to develop the play. The defense wouldn’t know if he is a decoy. Or if he were about to run the ball. Obviously it isn’t a play we could run more than once or twice in a game, but I do think it could really benefit us in a huge game where we have to score. Say, a game against Alabama or such.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 5, 2018, 9:10 AM

We don’t have the 1-2 punch combo of elite back that a couple of teams do every year, but I do consider ETN to be an elite talent. He’s got a chance this year to make a big step and become a nationally known back for sure. Also this big are for him will help bring TL to speed when he can rely on ETN

May 5, 2018, 1:42 PM

Saquan Barkley is an elite back. ETN is great, Feaster is very good. Choice is average. I would agree we do not have an elite back. ETN could very well become elite but he is not there yet.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 5, 2018, 2:21 PM

I agree with this.

Dabo and TE are telling us that ETN is not elite

May 5, 2018, 2:22 PM

They consistently critique his blocking abilities to the fans, the media and opponents with the goal of making ETN better. I believe ETN could be great for Clemson with more reps, some offensive ingenuity including outside runs (we prefer to run ETN and all straight up the middle), and a vertical passing threat and that takes coaching support. With some coaching help, some reps and playing time ETN, TL, TH and others could be great.

But that's not Dabo's job description or style, and who can argue with his success? It's Dabo's job to win and he's delivering big-time. Dabo uses a populist approach with his personnel decisions, with the media, and with the fans. He is building a "Dabo brand" that to date has been very beneficial to Clemson's football success. He is "all-in" on giving his veterans and uber-talented underclassmen who work hard & consistently a chance to play. And he has to split up his player reps to do this. Talent is important but can be secondary to this coach who played with perhaps less talent than any player on Bama but worked so hard he found a place in Stallings' team and heart. Dabo understands team chemistry, and at the most important position for team chemistry, he will not give TL or less likely HJ a starting opportunity until some sort of symbolic change of the guard occurs in practice or a game that sways player opinion to the more talented younger players.

Coach Swinney is doing one he11uva job with recruiting and BV's defensive backbone. If Coach Swinney finds a way to merge his coaching approach and his offensive x's and o's with his star talent, the sky is the limit. He has surpassed Ford with his recruiting, his communication and organizational skills and his drive. Dabo has earned the ability to frustrate those like me who prefer to see the more talented players in the game. So to answer your question LBB, ETN and RB's are whatever Dabo states they are, and only his vote counts. But we lucky Tiger fans and alums have some he11aciously talented players to pull for. So thanks Dabo and go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think as a group they are elite...a top 10 in the nation.

May 5, 2018, 2:22 PM

UGA last year was at a different level. We're a top 10 type. That is elite though by my standards.

I'm not privy to what Mickey said.

May 12, 2018, 1:21 PM

Is there an outside chance you misunderstood him?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic