Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Listen, don’t worry about cold and snow in Blacksburg
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Listen, don’t worry about cold and snow in Blacksburg

Dec 2, 2020, 6:52 PM

as Clemson has a history playing great and winning big games in the cold & snow!

Who can forget the stunning image of that blue football field covered in white snow in the 2001 Humanitarian Bow!

From Twitter: The 2001 Humanitarian Bowl was one of the most visually stimulating games in Clemson history. The Tigers in all-white took on LA Tech in all-blue in the snow on Boise’s blue turf. It was the 4th snow game in Clemson history. Woody Dantzler scored 4 TDs as the Tigers rolled 49-24. TBowden got dunked with ice water after the win!

Looks like both teams tried to go the “camouflage” route: Tigers in white to disappear in the snow and LAtech in blue to blend into the field!

Dantzler was also pretty good in the cold in the 2000 SCar game at Clemson with the unforgettable Catch II by Rod Gardner. I was there and it started to sleet as Hunt’s winning FG goes through for the 16-14 win! Despite the cold & wet walk back to the car, we had a warm winner feeling inside!

I still have one of my posters from that tailgate. It was Lou’s last game and, like now, rumors were flying on his replacement. There was a front runner hence my poster: “Will Rogers never met Steve Spurrier!”

Go Tigers!

Hope this link works!
https://mobile.twitter.com/apthirteen/status/1280304532535365633

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure I would say Clemson has a “history” when it comes to snow games.

Dec 2, 2020, 7:01 PM

And I don’t put the humanitarian bowl in the “big game” category. It wasn’t the highlight of our programs history to beg to go to a bowl in Idaho, which is what happened there. They wanted UCLA, but Tommy Bowden promised we would buy up more tickets so he could get a bonus for making it to a bowl that year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a fun trip though. Skiing at Bogus Basin.***

Dec 3, 2020, 3:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Holtz coached at SCAR through 2004***

Dec 2, 2020, 7:02 PM

null

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re 100% correct - Holtz coached at SCAR through 2004***

Dec 2, 2020, 7:19 PM

I must have had a “senior moment” as I was at both the 2000 and 2004 games. The 2004 game was the “brawl” game and I’m pretty sure it was Holtz last game at Scar.

As to the Humanitarian Bowl being a big win, well I believe it TBowden’s first Clemson bowl win.

Looking at the Weather Channel, the Saturday night

Dec 2, 2020, 7:30 PM

forecast for the game is clear and cold with the low temperature of 25 degrees.

Zero percent chance of snow/freezing rain.

Re: Listen, don’t worry about cold and snow in Blacksburg

Dec 2, 2020, 7:31 PM

Please. I've been trying to forget the Humanitarian Bowl and other indignities of that era!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Some of those old nightmares are hard to

Dec 2, 2020, 7:42 PM

shake. I remember getting home from work settling in to wach the bowl game against Texas Tech. The Pirates proceeded to put the game away before I got my second beer: To those of you who missed the years in the wilderness after Danny, enjoy these times. They are special.

I don't remember this game at all....

Dec 2, 2020, 7:46 PM

This was around the timeframe I was moving to North Augusta...I assume I somehow did not have a place to watch it.

Thanks for the reminder!

Re: I don't remember this game at all....

Dec 2, 2020, 7:52 PM

They actually dumped a bucket of snow over Bowden

I’m just going from memory, seems like it kicked off

Dec 2, 2020, 7:52 PM [ in reply to I don't remember this game at all.... ]

on Friday afternoon around 5-5:30. You are lucky to have no memory of it. It was horrendous.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic