Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't know how this portal thing works
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,389

I don't know how this portal thing works

Oct 2, 2020, 9:16 AM

but Fansided reported that 247 Sports reported that "Clemson has already canceled Bowman's financial aid after he entered the portal." Is that how it usually works?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I don't know how this portal thing works

Oct 2, 2020, 9:21 AM

Yep, kicked him to the curb, with bus fare and a bologna sandwich.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup !!!

Oct 2, 2020, 9:29 AM

As I understand it, when a player elects to enter the transfer portal, any financial assistance/scholarship is suspended.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 2, 2020, 9:34 AM

This semester has already been paid for.

What this means is that they have already cancelled any scholarship money allotted to him for next semester.

This means, Clemson is free to pay for a walk-on's spring semester and then will have the scholarship free for next season if needed.

What it does not mean is that they are kicking him out of school or asking for him to pay his own way for school this semester.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about the stipend?***

Oct 2, 2020, 9:35 AM

Re: How about the stipend?***

Oct 2, 2020, 9:49 AM

My understanding is that any money for the fall semester has been distributed in terms of a legal agreement.

Anything "promised" for the spring is where the changes are being made.

2 types of portals and many options. This link should help

Oct 2, 2020, 10:01 AM

Portal (spell) - Wowpedia - Your wiki guide to the World of Warcraft
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Portal_(spell)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Oct 2, 2020, 10:01 AM

I believe thats more of a Clemson thing to pull it right away since our coaches have the mindset of "if you're not ALL IN, kick rocks" which I agree with. Technically, a player has the ability to just stay on the team if the coaching staff allows it. Entering your name in the portal doesn't mean you have to leave. But it would probably be awkward to stay haha.

Now what I'm not sure of is... in other schools cases, if the aid is pulled and then re-instated, or its not pulled until the player officially leaves.

Oct 2, 2020, 10:03 AM

Also just read TigerO's response and that makes a lot of sense. So other teams that may allow a kid to stay would just let them ride the financial aid for next semester up until they have to make a decision on where that money is going if I had to guess.

Oct 2, 2020, 10:34 AM

you've got a homesick kid looking to leave. I'd be surprised if he stays and goes to class the rest of the semester. if he was thinking clearly play the rest of the season and then make a decision. Hee doesnt get much experience out of this year the way it was handled

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2020, 10:37 AM

I've heard stated in the case of one of the UGA players who transferred out last year that if Kirby would have let him sit out, he would have had a much greater chance to get cleared for immediate eligibility. That may be what Bowman is going for by deciding early.

In the case of the player from UGA, apparently Kirby convinced him to stick it out for the year and said he would give him full clearance at the end of the season, and the Kirby went back on his word and UGA tried to block the transfer.

How it works when you leave Clemson as follows

Oct 2, 2020, 10:44 AM

1) you leave the best oppty you ever had in life/sports
2) 2-3 days of excitement, hype and hope
3) wake up one evening with night sweats realizing your error
4) the rest of your career in mediocrity and irrelevance
5) no one in sports ever hears from you again

Pretty much the ######

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,389
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic