Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My .02 on the K.B. practice situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 3,740

My .02 on the K.B. practice situation

Sep 25, 2018, 6:40 PM

Not that anyone cares or that it even matters, but as a former athlete who was beat out by a younger, more talented guy I think K.B. sitting out practice after being “demoted” sends mixed signals.

Obviously, he’s upset. He’s a competitor. And a leader. But showing up to practice to support the guy that beat you out and supporting and leading your other teammates would have been the right move in my opinion.

Again, my opinion means zilch when it comes to Clemson football and player/coach decisions, but it would have sent a strong message of support and sportsmanship for K.B. to not miss a practice after getting the news.

Being excused from a practice isn’t the big deal here, it’s the message it sends to other teammates. Hopefully, that message doesn’t cause division or drama within the locker room. I think K.B. is bigger than that and wouldn’t let it happen, but you never know.

Thoughts?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My .02 on the K.B. practice situation

Sep 25, 2018, 6:44 PM

I feel the same way. It makes me a little anxious about this teams mindset going into this game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 6:44 PM

Only that I agree 100%.

Sep 25, 2018, 6:51 PM

As a Gulf War Veteran; I only say this: "people deal with bad news different"! Everybody don't grieve the same! Everybody don't take perceived life altering news in stride like nothing ever happened either! Just like in theatre some guys "clam up" some guys "step up"! Everybody handles adversity different...…...so b/c he doesn't handle like you would. . . doesn't make you right!

I personally don't think Coach Swinney would ever do anything to jeopardize the team or a player! He likely made this move as stated above to avoid a distraction when you are facing the only team to defeat you during the regular season the year prior!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 6:46 PM

If he showed up "Not in the right head space" what signal would have been sent?
If his mood would have brought the practice to this lull; would that have been good?
Was he visibly upset? What would that do to the mindset of his teammates?

So many people don't get the big picture here. I don't like it. I wish he had practiced. Sucked it up and practiced.
But, I could imagine he was upset or he is deciding his future and his head wasn't in the game anyway. His presence in other words would have done more harm than good.
Why would you want a distraction when you are facing a team that beat you the year prior? Plus, they are also undefeated. No time for distractions and KB showing up today may have caused too much of one!

My two pennies!

Thoughts?

I don’t disagree with your points necessarily

Sep 25, 2018, 6:49 PM

but if you have a senior leader and they can’t take news of getting benched and clear their head to go and try to retake the job back then there are clearly bigger fish to fry.

I know as an athlete it fueled me to be better, get better, and work harder. Not sulk. K.B. is a good kid and I would suspect the news of getting benched would light a fire under him like you’ve never seen, not make him want to go take a “me” day to wallow.

Re: I don’t disagree with your points necessarily

Sep 25, 2018, 7:00 PM

tmitchell27® I smell what your cooking! The only thing I can figure is "his presence causing a distraction"!
If they thought it would; I could see them making the executive decision to ask him to not practice!

What if this is about him "leaving Clemson"! Taking a shirt and taking his talents elsewhere. Why practice if he knows he won't be playing? Only speculating of course!

People on TNet wanted the guy to "give TL the job"! And now they are asking for him to be happy about the decision to start TL over him.

Trevor Lawrence should be the starter because he has earned it. But, we don't know that KB is sulking, wallowing, crying, all those other jabs! It could be he is very disappointed but ready to move on to the next chapter in his playing career at CU( as back up) or next year as a transfer. A lot to process in a short period of time don't you think?

Sep 25, 2018, 8:29 PM [ in reply to I don’t disagree with your points necessarily ]

I don’t think being “benched” is the right term here, literally what I get out of the decision is that TL is goin out first much like KB did, I know TL looks like the guy especially after saturday , but I don’t think enough was done to say that TL is 100% the qb moving forward. What I mean by that is KB still is very valuable to this offense ... I would love to see TL play most of the game but like the 1st and go alone situations or 2nd and short situations , kb is perfect for that... we can still utilize him and he can help tremendously. Tired of hearing the comparisons between us and bama... the biggest diff is tua is also very very elusive and can run , Kb is a MUCH better runner than TL at this point so we could def use him in certain situations

Sep 25, 2018, 8:29 PM [ in reply to I don’t disagree with your points necessarily ]

I don’t think being “benched” is the right term here, literally what I get out of the decision is that TL is goin out first much like KB did, I know TL looks like the guy especially after saturday , but I don’t think enough was done to say that TL is 100% the qb moving forward. What I mean by that is KB still is very valuable to this offense ... I would love to see TL play most of the game but like the 1st and go alone situations or 2nd and short situations , kb is perfect for that... we can still utilize him and he can help tremendously. Tired of hearing the comparisons between us and bama... the biggest diff is tua is also very very elusive and can run , Kb is a MUCH better runner than TL at this point so we could def use him in certain situations

Sep 25, 2018, 8:33 PM

OneClemson2010 I agree with you. But, we all have to wait and see if KB wants an opportunity to go somewhere else and be a starter! If you can start at Clemson - even if it is part time - there are many other schools where you will get received like Trevor Lawrence is received at Clemson currently(like a savior)!

If he feels he still has plays to make. We could lose him all together! And, if he has graduated, he could leave and start next year! But, he can't if he plays another down!

Sep 25, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: My .02 on the K.B. practice situation ]

Well, in the real world where you have a job it gets you fired to become a problem . Just my $.02 of course but I let several problem children go in my working life, others I kept because they only caused problems for me and I could deal with that as they were very good. Cause problems for the group and it is see ya in the real world.

I think it's funny anyway that everyone is speculating

Sep 25, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: My .02 on the K.B. practice situation ]

Sep 25, 2018, 6:48 PM

I disagree that him being excused from practice is not a big deal. Gave the guy the night off for losing his position? What about the others guys on the team that have lost position battles?

I think this whole situation has been dramatized to the point that it could hurt the team down the road. Hopefully TL has full support of the other players as the starter moving forward.

Sep 25, 2018, 6:58 PM

I know we all love Dabo and KB but did any of the other "senior" players who got beat out get to take days off?

1 day = acceptable, perhaps.
2 days = unacceptable. This is sulking and being more worried about yourself than the team.

Sorry but what's good for the goose should be good for the gander, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 7:04 PM

@iiron4044® The other seniors have probably "never started"! They have probably sat the bench their entire CU career!

They were never the starting QB for a CFB playoff team for certain!

If you have that on your resume; you feel like you have game and I personally think this time is more about "what he wants to do next"! Redshirt, Transfer, what school, what next! A lot to process and if his head isn't into practice. . . . I mean. . . . he is looking out for the benefit of the team by "NOT BEING A DISTRACTION"!

Sep 25, 2018, 7:21 PM

I would think his absence would be even more of a distraction....

Sep 25, 2018, 7:27 PM

Jhop83® Really? Players miss practice all the time for injuries! Big Dex last year had weeks he barely practiced; he wasn't a distraction.

Now had he showed up all emotionally distressed. Not himself, hobbling, upset or in pain it likely would have been distracting!

Sep 25, 2018, 7:33 PM

Yea but they knew he was hurt. They know exactly why KB wasn’t there. If he was going to show up with a bad attitude he does need to transfer.

I’d rather have Chase Brice come into a game if TL gets hurt than a guy with that mindset.

Sep 25, 2018, 8:16 PM

But I think we should wait on the facts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My .02 on the K.B. practice situation @jhop83

Sep 25, 2018, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: My .02 on the K.B. practice situation ]

Jhop83® You just agreed to my point! If he is going to be a distraction; he should not have been there. I wish he would have shown personally! But, seeing as how he has to think: "do I want to stay"? Do I want to sit the rest of my eligibility? Or do I want to transfer? All things that will distract him from being 100% "there"!

Sep 25, 2018, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: My .02 on the K.B. practice situation ]

Ok, I get it, in theory.

But maybe think of it this way though. Say he turns pro and loses his job to someone after a few successful years. Because of this, he asks his coach for a few days off to think about things. How do you think that's going to go over?

Yes, we're all speculating. That's what internet message boards do a lot of times. Plus, I'd say the same thing if it wasn't KB. It has nothing to do with him personally.

My thoughts...

Sep 25, 2018, 6:59 PM

Woooooooopieeeeee

Definitely get your perspective

Sep 25, 2018, 6:59 PM

But I also get that he feels like a job he’s bled, sweat, and grinded for for 3.5 yrs that he thought was his after winning it last year was taken from him. IMO, I think taking practice off yesterday was understandable after having a rough, emotional meeting with Dabo. Missing practice tonight I think sends the wrong message.

Just my two cents

I agree with most of your points as well

Sep 25, 2018, 7:03 PM

But the job was lost, not “taken” from him. Lawrence earned it.

Re: I agree with most of your points as well

Sep 25, 2018, 7:06 PM

The job was absolutely earned by Trevor Lawrence! No argument; call it a poor choice of words.

Sep 25, 2018, 7:17 PM

As far as I can tell the only difference is he’s running out there second instead of first. They still plan on giving him some series. He is one play away from being QB1 again with only Chase as his backup so he needs to be at practice everyday when getting ready to face a 4-0 team that beat you last year and is probably a better team this year. To do anything less really let’s your teammates down IMHO.

Sep 25, 2018, 7:23 PM

@cCalhoun2® KB has another year of eligibility left if does not take another snap this season. This could be what's going on. I don't know him personally, but he doesn't seem the selfish type. There comes a time you have to think about your future. Chase Brice can back up TL; so the coaches say.

Sep 25, 2018, 8:54 PM

Yep I read a Post and Courier article that danced all around a possible arrangement between Dabo and K.B. Basically he is a “break in case of emergency” player if Dabo needs him but otherwise try not to play him anymore this season. That would make taking a few days off less of a thing.

You'd be wrong if you said all that again.

Sep 25, 2018, 7:20 PM

Kelly is emotionally vested in this team. He's was under too much pressure to perform and it all came from him. Even though the entire team was pulling for him and supporting him as well as they could he still remained in a self generated pressure cooker.

Imho, he needed a minute to sort himself out. I do not believe it was grief as much as a self examination. I'm not sure it's over with yet but I know when how we can know. As soon as he's forgiven himself of the self induced trauma he will come back looking better than ever.

I'm praying for him to relax and bring his game to our remaining games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember the day I beat you out.***

Sep 25, 2018, 8:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 29
| visibility 3,740
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic