Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Share your memories of Coneross Fish Camp
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Share your memories of Coneross Fish Camp

Jun 6, 2017, 9:48 PM

Didn't know that this place has existed until recently. Would love to hear some of you old timers who were around to experience it's stories. From what I hear it was an amazing all you can eat country cooking type place, don't know much more other than that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#1 Fan of Clemson Athletic Marketing Team

Re: Share your memories of Coneross Fish Camp

Jun 6, 2017, 10:23 PM

It was a great place to eat a lot for cheap. All you can eat family style: catfish, fried chicken, country ham and country style steak plus fries, slaw & hush puppies. Big platters/bowls of food passed around from one to another. And the waitresses kept it coming. One night in 1970 myself and 6 fraternity brothers sat down & ate for 2.5 hrs. The kitchen ran out of catfish that night (or so the waitress said).

I didn't know the place was still there. I'll have to go back there soon

It isn't there any longer

Jun 6, 2017, 10:58 PM

From what I can gather it may have been gone as long as 40 years by now. Really wish it was still there however.

I think the building is still there...

Jun 7, 2017, 12:35 AM

In fact, it may even be a Mexican restaurant now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Was it already closed by the time you got to Clemson?***

Jun 7, 2017, 5:53 PM

Jun 7, 2017, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Share your memories of Coneross Fish Camp ]

This sounds like the fish camp I went to ~ 40+ years ago. I remember the country ham, catfish, etc. I don't think all that many fish camps operated like you described here. We went with my dad and he lived in Travelers Rest, so I thought it was close to that, but my memory is not that good. I remember being surprised to see ham at a fish camp.

Jun 7, 2017, 6:42 PM

Was the go-to place for quality food while I was at Clemson from 1968-1973. We would eat nothing all day in preparation for trip to Coneross. Country ham,catfish,fried chicken,flounder and all the trimmings brought to the table in huge bowls. We would take turns taking a break from eating and loosen the belt and eat some more. Very often we would have to pull off to the side of the road so one would have to throw-up some of the best food you have ever seen because of serious overeating. Changed from country style to menu sometime after I left Clemson. Later changed to a rather upscale restaurant,Wynekar's,and burned to the ground a few years ago. Howard Johnson's had an all you can eat fish night on Wednesday's for a brief time while I was at Clemson,good meal for college students,but not in the same league as Coneross.

Jun 7, 2017, 7:19 PM

I was at Clemson from 68-72 and ate there maybe 10 times. The catfish was the best and they were small 8-10" whole fish fried and seasoned to perfection. Remove the top and bottom fin and bite down just to the bones and pull the fish off-yummmmm. I remember "bone plates" that were over a foot high and yes we saved up all day for that meal......

I can't say that I recall Coneross , but I remember

Jun 7, 2017, 7:40 PM

eating some place called The Old House a couple of times . I remember this place cause they served a side of creamy , white grits with every entree .
Really good grits .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can't say that I recall Coneross , but I remember

Jun 7, 2017, 7:41 PM

Early " 70's .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can't say that I recall Coneross , but I remember

Jun 9, 2017, 8:10 PM [ in reply to I can't say that I recall Coneross , but I remember ]

Big steaks and grits. The guy at the cash register couldn't even fit behind the counter. There was a family style place above stump house tunnel. Anyone remember the name? Great food. What was the name of the sub shop at the old mini mall?

Jun 9, 2017, 5:06 PM

In the late 60's-early 70's, there was tuesday night all you can eat spaghetti at the Sheridan and on friday there was a fish camp on hartwell that had all you can eat catfish. The red carpet sold all the chicken they had left over at 10 pm. each night.

Those three places allowed me to eat and party on the CDC dance weekends with the money i was supposed to buy meal tickets. Don't remember the name of the fish camp.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic