Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: TigerNet Top-5: 'The Fridge' brought national spotlight to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,961

TNET: TigerNet Top-5: 'The Fridge' brought national spotlight to Clemson

Jul 26, 2020, 9:01 AM

TigerNet Top-5: 'The Fridge' brought national spotlight to Clemson

The unique athlete was Clemson's first three-time All-American and went on to make a name for himself in the NFL. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: TigerNet Top-5: 'The Fridge' brought national spotlight to Clemson

Jul 26, 2020, 9:41 AM

Looks like Da Fridge and Little Bro were about to rumble there.

Jul 26, 2020, 9:46 AM

"The Frig" was at Clemson at the same time I was. He was unstoppable. He dominated Dave Rimington, the center at Nebraska, in the 1981 National Championship game. Some said Rimington was the best college lineman of all time, at that time. I think he even has a National award named after him now. I vaguely remember a picture that had one of Perry's outstretched arms holding back Herschel Walker after he had fumbled, and his other outstretched arm picking up the fumbled ball.

One thing that was kinda funny was that he was considered "huge" at the time, and I think he was listed at 305 lbs. He was much bigger than that at times though. By today's standards, he would be average sized at best. BTW, I did have one of his life sized posters in my dorm.
GO TIGERS!!!

Jul 26, 2020, 10:10 AM

My cousin was married to the coach at Louisiana Tech at that time. Summer of '82 he brought his coaching staff to visit Clemson and they were stunned and bug eyed at the site of the fridge, couldn't get over how big he was. I remember that they were also impressed by Memorial Stadium.

Jul 26, 2020, 10:36 AM

Oops I think it was when he was head coach at Louisiana Lafayette

Jul 26, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: TigerNet Top-5: 'The Fridge' brought national spotlight to Clemson ]

Jul 26, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: TigerNet Top-5: 'The Fridge' brought national spotlight to Clemson ]

Jul 26, 2020, 10:49 AM

Well rats, dang phone! Sorry about that but I Had to make my point it seems.

I can only imagine

Jul 26, 2020, 10:23 AM

His stats if he were not alway double, and quite often triple teamed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can only imagine

Jul 26, 2020, 11:14 AM

As unstoppable as he was in college, can you imagine playing against him in high school? I know he went to Aiken High School, where he not only played football, but played basketball, where he could easily dunk the ball, and was on the track team. I think Aiken is a AAA or AAAA school now, but was probably a smaller school and maybe AA or A back then.
GO TIGERS!!!

Jul 26, 2020, 11:36 AM

I had the opportunity to play basketball with several football players, including the Fridge, at Fike while we were students. He could dunk the ball, catch it, and jump straight up and dunk it again repeatedly (Probably 4 or 5 times) without a running start. He was solid. I remember running into him one time and he just caught me as I bounced off. Of course it didn’t even move him. Athletic ability aside, he is a great guy as well. He would have fit in Dabo’s culture today. Michael Dean Had a similar character. I ran into him at our daughter’s orientation in 2013. He had a child in orientation as well. Just another great person. Imagine what the Perry brothers would have been like with today’s weight training and nutrition programs.

Jul 26, 2020, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: I can only imagine ]

Could you dunk in South Caroline HS ball back then? I played in Texas and we were not allowed to dunk which was one of the dumber rules ever. They couldn't even dunk in college way back in the day. Took a lot out of the game.

Jul 26, 2020, 11:45 AM

Who is going to be number 1? I thought the Fridge would be the top dog.

I remember seeing Fridge Perry on a Bob Hope special

Jul 26, 2020, 7:34 PM

in the early '80s. He came on stage in full uniform and there was a three foot (+/-) platform set up on stage. Perry was standing next to the platform with Hope and the next thing you know Perry started jumping up and down from the platform. I remember myself being amazed and Hope also was amazed that such a huge man could seem to defy gravity. Ive searched Youtube and other places but havent found that video yet.

Jul 26, 2020, 8:52 PM

Fridge was a great great DT. He came to Clemson ready to play. His best play that I recall are was the time he pushed an offensive tackle punt blocker back so far back the kicker hit the ball into the backside of his own teammate. The next best play, and he made many of these, was to take on his blocker at the line of scrimmage, follow the play 25 yards down the line of scrimmage sideway and tackle the half back running the pitch at the sideline.

Fridge was outstanding. He and Michael Dean were without question the best brother combo to every play in the defensive line for Clemson. I think the Perry's were the best brother duo ever to play college football. Some give the nod to the Selmon Brothers who played for Oklahoma when the Sooners were winning national titles, but both Perry brothers had better nfl careers than any Selmon.

Message was edited by: Harley®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,961
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic