Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remember Bama kids leaving at halftime? Get ready for it.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Remember Bama kids leaving at halftime? Get ready for it.

Apr 12, 2016, 3:41 PM

Last year it was inspiring to watch the student section against Notre Dame and FSU. They were loud and proud all game in each instance. Those who sat on the Hill, likely camped for tickets, went to Gameday, and arrived early to get their spot on the Hill. These were the happy few- the diehards.

I know what's it like to be one of those passionate students banking on a free ticket. I sat on the Hill in 1999 for the first Bowden Bowl. We arrived when the gates opened, taunted Janowkoski(?), and made fun of Peter Warrick's Dillard's situation. At the time I barely had enough money to throw in on a pizza when they were $6 at Papa Johns.

By charging students to sit in the lower deck, the athletic department has guaranteed only a "certain" type of student will ever get tickets. Some students come to Clemson with the ability to handle the financial commitment. They join the Greek life and live off campus. The rest of us had to make it work somehow. This new ticket plan will benefit the students with means while punishing the those who do not.

I don't care what other universities are doing. This is not a move looking at the Clemsom family as a whole. It's a money grab. Moreover, you see what happens when the entitled buy tickets- normally as a status symbol- they arrive late, sit on their hands, and leave early. Ask all those other schools what their student sections are like. They ain't Clemson's I can tell you that.

I will be more than willing to pay an extra $33 a ticket so students can go for free.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pure BS***

Apr 12, 2016, 3:43 PM

Re: Pure BS***

Apr 12, 2016, 3:47 PM

Why call BS on a Man's experience and subsequent opinion? As the Clemson Family goes, charging students for premium tickets is the least of our problems, total lack tolerance of others opinions is high on that list.

Pure BS that this plan

Apr 12, 2016, 3:50 PM

"guarantees only a certain type of student will get the tickets"

I came from a relatively poor family. I worked my butt off in the summer so I could have spending money while at Clemson.

I dont buy into this BS that only a certain "TYPE" will benefit from this. Every student has a chance if its WORTH it to them!

Guarantee is definitely a stretch in this case

Apr 12, 2016, 3:55 PM

But there's no denying that the privileged frat kids will be more likely to afford the 225, and also leave at half time

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you mean by "priveleged" frat kids?

Apr 12, 2016, 3:58 PM

I was in a frat and there kids from all walks of life economically in mine

It means exactly what I said....

Apr 12, 2016, 4:00 PM

The privileged ones.

Nowhere did I imply that all frat kids are privileged

But, FWIW,

Apr 12, 2016, 4:06 PM [ in reply to What do you mean by "priveleged" frat kids? ]

Kids in fraternities (or more likely, their parents) have an extra $1000 or so a semester of disposable income to spend on dues.

That right there is something that many in-state kids on scholarship couldn't ever afford.

So yeah, being in a greek organization DOES imply somewhat better of a financial standing right off the bat....

Re: Remember Bama kids leaving at halftime? Get ready for it.

Apr 12, 2016, 3:47 PM

I agree. This fee wont weed out those that leave and get there late. To me, even from 2014 to this last season, there was more of a "problem" of people not caring about the game and more about the gameday. To each their own, obviously not everyone is a raging football fan, but the fee wont help at all.

Totally Disagree

Apr 12, 2016, 3:51 PM

First, when you say only a "certain type" of student will be able to sit in lower deck that is a stretch. I have not confirmed, but I read earlier it will costs students an extra $225 a year to sit in the lower deck (please correct me if that is not right). $225 is not that much. If you can't save up an extra $225 over the summer to pay for tickets then you should probably adjust your spending habits. Second, I think the generalization you make saying all the students who can afford that will "arrive late and leave early" is absurd. Not only can you not make that generalization about such a large population of students, but I don't believe any correlation exists between the financial means of a student and their commitment to staying at the game the whole time.

I saved my money all summer while in school

Apr 12, 2016, 3:54 PM

And I barely made it through the first semester every year

If I didnt take food home from the dining hall at lunch, i wouldnt have been eating dinner at night

225 goes a long way for some college kids. And no, im not an old fart, i graduated in 2013

Re: I saved my money all summer while in school

Apr 12, 2016, 4:14 PM

I also saved my money all summer while in school. 3 of my 4 summers were spent working in food and bev after the 2008 recession. Needless to say, business was not great because less people were eating out and people were tipping less due to the general economic conditions at the time. Money was tight, but I laid out a strict budget and mapped out all my expenses. I adhered to that budget and was able to make it through school with little financial stress. Anyone is capable of doing this.

Yeah, that may be so...

Apr 12, 2016, 4:17 PM

But it is still difficult for many, and plenty of kids just cant afford the 225

You have been through it before, but you can't necessarily speak for everybody....

Re: Yeah, that may be so...

Apr 12, 2016, 4:28 PM

I agree, $225 may be more for some than for others. My point is, with good money management, anyone who is working during the summer should be able to save an extra $225. If you save $1 a day for two third's of the year, that is $225. Or if you go mow someone's lawn for $20 bucks every weekend during the summer, you will have an extra $225. If sitting in the lower deck is that important to a particular student, they have the means to save up the money, it may just require a bit of extra time/effort/work.

No, i completely get what you are saying

Apr 12, 2016, 4:33 PM

And you are absolutely right

But im not saying these kids can't save the $225 for tickets.

It might be in many student's best interest to save ALL of their earnings for expenses throughout the year...such as gas, food, books....as mentioned before, an extra 225 can go a very long way for a poor college kid

;)

No offense bro

Apr 12, 2016, 5:14 PM [ in reply to I saved my money all summer while in school ]

but this sounds like "I walked a mile barefoot in the snow to attend school". You need to re-read the announcement. You would have gotten free tickets in the upper deck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Uh, not quite, "bro"

Apr 12, 2016, 6:21 PM

Not my intention to sound that way at all. I made a completely relevant point in regards to my own personal situation on the subject matter.

Its great that students can still go for free in the upper deck. That's awesome and im glad the administration has the sense to keep this unchanged

But watching the games from the hill as a student is an opportunity that only a lucky few get to experience...why impose even further lilitations on those who can have this privilege?

ALL Clemson students are Clemson students, and EVERYBODY should have equal opportunity for the best seats without having to pay extra

Just my opinion

Message was edited by: CU2013®

I agree

Apr 12, 2016, 3:52 PM

Well said.

Many of the students will pay the 225 with daddy's credit card

Charging $25 to park in the BFE pit is a money grab.***

Apr 12, 2016, 3:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Remember Bama kids leaving at halftime? Get ready for it.

Apr 12, 2016, 4:04 PM

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I believ you are correct about this changing the vibe of the

Apr 12, 2016, 4:17 PM

student section. The ones who come strictly for social status reasons will be the majority.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believ you are correct about this changing the vibe of the

Apr 12, 2016, 4:29 PM

So you are saying that those that can afford the $225 are worse fans than those who cannot afford it? That is a bold and unfair statement. Some of the best fans I know had a lot more money than me and stayed the whole game. The total number of students who cannot afford the $225 is most likely not that large. When you think about college tuition as a whole if tuition, room and board, food, living expenses for 4 years totals $90,000 (most likely more) the price for season tickets for 4 years is roughly 1/100 of the total expenses. That really isn't all that high. And if you cannot afford it, you are able to sit in the upper deck for free.

It is really irritating that people on here are stating that those who can pay $225 per year are 1. "Frat Boys" 2. Fans who leave early 3. wont yell and cheer like fans who cant pay $225. What are you democrats or something?

Totally Wrong

Apr 12, 2016, 4:32 PM [ in reply to I believ you are correct about this changing the vibe of the ]

You can't begin to assume that you know the "reason" certain students come to games. Even more so, you have no way of implementing any kind of model that attempts to predict the percentage of students coming to games for "social status reasons" as compared to other reasons. This statement is completely baseless

I don't see what the big deal with sitting in the UD is

Apr 12, 2016, 4:33 PM

I say there for most games. I preferred the upper deck. You can see the field better and see plays develop

I dont think thats a big deal either

Apr 12, 2016, 4:34 PM

My ossue is that it separates the students and alienates some that may not be able to afford it, while others can have their parents pay the 225 regardless of whether or not they intend to go to all the games and stay the entire time

Re: I dont think thats a big deal either

Apr 12, 2016, 5:24 PM

Well consider me an alien then. Having two college students living at home (with all the necessary expenses that come with that) I generally sit in the upper deck due to ticket prices in the lower. It is great for watching how our offensive coaching minds work as the play develops (something I cant enjoy in the lower with the always oblivious next row down fan that stands through two or the series of plays).

When I was at Clemson had to sell dope just to buy beer ...

Apr 12, 2016, 5:08 PM

Now with student ticket prices, I would have to pimp my sister so I could go to the games.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

Disclaimer: This is a joke. If it somehow offended you, then I got some good stuff to help you relax ... and my sister is not half bad. All proceeds go to IPTAY.

Re-Used Reply: Honestly, If college students cannot manage

Apr 12, 2016, 5:53 PM

to allocate necessary financial resources for the next four months in order to save up $225.00, then they have no business being in college in the first place.

Let's add up the amount of money that college students spend on alcohol and late night food runs... Believe me, the students will find a way to pay.

Helluva good post. Push some more students away from the

Apr 12, 2016, 6:02 PM

field? Don't get it. Seems like the Ath Dept. does this every few years (reducing hill seating, pushing students to upper decks, etc.) Doesn't make much sense from a home field advantage perspective.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic