Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Changing the name of Tillman isn't overly PC.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Changing the name of Tillman isn't overly PC.

Jan 14, 2015, 7:27 PM

It has very little to do with being PC. The Cripmas incident was overly PC and reaching. But the Tillman issue deals with something else.

As an alum, I don't want Clemson honoring a terrible person with the name of a building. And it's pretty embarrassing too when you think about it.

Also, try to ease off on the racism. Blaming "those 80 students" and such. It's not a good look and extremely hypocritical for Clemson football fans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Changing the name of Tillman isn't overly PC.

Jan 14, 2015, 7:30 PM

And saying things like, "if they don't like it go somewhere else," is extremely racist as well. Clemson is a state school for the residents of SC. Not just the white residents of SC. We already have pretty miserable diversity so this is definitely an area we need to work on.

Jan 14, 2015, 7:31 PM

Who said anything about the protesters being black? I assumed they were a bunch of Birkenstock wearing suburban kids posing as hippies.

And I always thought Clemson

Jan 14, 2015, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Changing the name of Tillman isn't overly PC. ]

was the first college in SC to integrate and did so in a peaceful, dignified fashion.

You may want to reconsider your denigration of Clemson.

How do you propose to improve Clemson's "miserable diversity" (your words)?

Would SC State also have a "miserable diversity"?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: And I always thought Clemson

Jan 14, 2015, 7:47 PM

We are very much handcuffed with the diversity problem because South Carolina has such a miserable divide between races. Majority black schools in this state are an embarrassment so very few blacks have the statistics to get into Clemson. So it is a tough issue for us to deal with.

Re: And I always thought Clemson

Jan 14, 2015, 7:50 PM

Would it surprise you that Clemson admissions practices affirmative action to further develop diversity?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I agree

Jan 14, 2015, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Changing the name of Tillman isn't overly PC. ]

People often use the "##### PC cheap" card as an excuse to be blissfully ignorant and offensive

If a student is capable of getting in Clemson then the doors

Jan 14, 2015, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Changing the name of Tillman isn't overly PC. ]

are wide open. There is no selectivity based on race. You know nothing about the pathetic BS you're spewing. The very fact you've gone to these lengths is a sure sign of your jealousy and envy of our state's premier academic institution. Nevermind the fact we just wiped the football field with your sorry chicken ### and will continue to do so for years to come.

Jan 14, 2015, 7:36 PM

You chose to go to Clemson. It didnt bother you then. You used the land and facilities he made possible. Then you bash him. Smh

Jan 14, 2015, 7:40 PM

He was an objectively awful person. Do you disagree?

Please, I'd like for some of you to just be honest, come out and say it. You think what Tillman did was not really that bad don't you?

Jan 14, 2015, 7:43 PM

His "objectively awful actions" are irrelevant. He's honored by Clemson for the massive role he played in establishing the university here, not for anything else. If this bothers you so much why weren't you bringing it up last year? Or the year before? Or when you were a student on campus?

Jan 14, 2015, 8:51 PM

It has bothered me ever since I learned who he was. It just so happens that now we are having a conversation about it.

how long have you been bothered by this?***

Jan 15, 2015, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Changing the name of Tillman isn't overly PC. ]

Jan 14, 2015, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Changing the name of Tillman isn't overly PC. ]

Clemson is bigger than some 19th century racist or the name on some building. People didn't go to school thinking I'm ok with the name on that building. So just because we went to school here doesn't mean you can't object now.

You need to look deeper

Jan 14, 2015, 7:41 PM

Tillman was a product of his times. His views were shared by most of the leaders of his day. You cannot ignore the tremendous good he did for this state.

Re: You need to look deeper

Jan 14, 2015, 7:51 PM

False. Very very false. Heavy racism was very common at the time. That is true.

But very few people actually led mobs to murder blacks.

And a very minute minority of these people were leaders. I would love for you to point to any other leaders at the time who were murdering blacks.

Jan 14, 2015, 8:31 PM

Exactly. People keep on ignoring the fact that he lead a group of people which killed blacks and he bragged about doing so.

Slavery and racism are an unfortunate part of our past, but in many cases (Washington, Jefferson, etc) it's been accepted as part of the times. Leading a KKK-type mob does not fall into that same category IMO.

Jan 14, 2015, 8:53 PM

Agree. He's in a different category.

Should we redo all of history

Jan 14, 2015, 8:08 PM [ in reply to You need to look deeper ]

I propose we immediately re name Washington DC and force the state of Washington to change names. Also change the name of thousands of things called Washington bc he owned slaves. maybe we should implode the Jefferson memorial and remake the dime bc he owned slaves.

I smell chicken!***

Jan 14, 2015, 7:46 PM

Prove you are an alum; I for one

Jan 14, 2015, 8:03 PM

Don't believe you...

Re: Prove you are an alum; I for one

Jan 14, 2015, 8:11 PM

Ask me a question only we would know. I was 2009-2013.

Jan 14, 2015, 8:23 PM

Dirtpecker...I graduated in 1976. From Clemson. You and I have nothing in common.
Suggest you leave before you get the Banhammer...

Jan 14, 2015, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Prove you are an alum; I for one ]

If you did graduate from Clemson,we #### sure don't need any more like you. You are an embarrassment to a great university. You need to be in Columbia.

Jan 14, 2015, 8:45 PM

He's an embarrassment to our university because he doesn't like the idea of a hate-crime propagating murderer having a building named after him on our campus? Disagree with him if you want, but at least have a discussion.

God you're like an infant***

Jan 14, 2015, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Prove you are an alum; I for one ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Tell 'em coot

Jan 14, 2015, 8:08 PM

"State leaders revived the institution in 1866 as the University of South Carolina with ambitious plans for a diverse university that included the first African-Americans to serve on the board of trustees (1868) and the first African-American students (1873).

While politically controversial, this development was an extraordinary opportunity for South Carolinians at a time when opportunities for higher education were rare. The University of South Carolina became the only Southern state university to admit and grant degrees to African-American students during the Reconstruction era.

But with a nearly empty state treasury, the institution failed to reach its former status. Following the end of Reconstruction in 1877, South Carolina's conservative leaders closed the university. They reopened it in 1880 as an all-white agricultural college and during the next 25 years the institution became enmeshed in the upheaval of late 19th century South Carolina politics. "

Jan 14, 2015, 8:24 PM

You are not an alumni you are a pathetic #### loving loser.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 14, 2015, 8:39 PM

Coot...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree 100%. There is no way Clemson should be in any

Jan 14, 2015, 8:48 PM

way associated with a person like that. That is why there is such a term as disassociate. It is flat out embarrassing that there is still an association at all. People have to be held accountable for the evil that they have done even if the accountability takes place over one hundred years after their death. For that matter, I am embarrassed that there is a Strom Thurmond Institute on campus. At some point these associations have to be explained and the longer we take to disassociate, the harder it is to explain it. It is 2015 for crying out loud.

Re: I agree 100%. There is no way Clemson should be in any

Jan 14, 2015, 8:55 PM

no one made you go to clemson (even if you actually did coot) but Clemson is a fine historical institution and we have no intention of changing any names to make you cry babies feel better. If you need to feel better then go to UNCheat and maybe they will listen to you... get a real life...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2015, 8:58 PM

shhhhhhhhhh, go to sleep little boy. Let the adults have a conversation.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:00 PM

Little boy...when did you stop sucking your thumb

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2015, 9:08 PM

Uhhh good one.

You responded to a well thought out post where someone gave their opinion and you responded with juvenile insults. Grow up and join the conversation or go to bed.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:12 PM

And you think you are are so smart...you look like a baby with a dirty diaper that needs attention...go back into you chicken coup and dirt peck coot...

Jan 14, 2015, 9:16 PM

It hurts to see you struggle like this. :(

Jan 14, 2015, 9:19 PM

keep trying coot...you are a laugh...

I chose to attend and graduate from Clemson. I love Clemson

Jan 14, 2015, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree 100%. There is no way Clemson should be in any ]

and want the best for Clemson. I feel it is in the best interest Clemson to erase any visible ties to Ben Tillman.

Re: I chose to attend and graduate from Clemson. I love Clemson

Jan 14, 2015, 9:07 PM

well maybe you should just go away...we dont need phony students like you...

I graduated 30 years ago. I would never suggest doing

Jan 14, 2015, 9:34 PM

anything to hurt Clemson. It is best that any visible tie to Tillman be permanently erased.

He couldn't get in Piedmont Tech, let alone Clemson.***

Jan 14, 2015, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I agree 100%. There is no way Clemson should be in any ]

Jan 14, 2015, 9:21 PM [ in reply to I agree 100%. There is no way Clemson should be in any ]

B S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2015, 9:39 PM [ in reply to I agree 100%. There is no way Clemson should be in any ]

Guess it is time to rename WASHINGTON D.C.

LOL. You're a fraud. A pathetic, uninformed fraud.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:06 PM

Clemson is THE university in South Carolina. Deal with it, fraud.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:15 PM

He was sworn in as Governor of the STATE, he musta not been well liked to get to that position..

Benjamin Tillman was sworn in as governor of South Carolina in Columbia on December 4, 1890, before a crowd of jubilant supporters, the largest to see South Carolina's governor inaugurated since Hampton's swearing-in. In his address, Tillman celebrated his victory, "the citizens of this great commonwealth have for the first time in its history demanded and obtained for themselves the right to choose her Governor; and I, as the exponent and leader of the revolution which brought about the change, am here to take the solemn oath of office ... the triumph of democracy and white supremacy over mongrelism and anarchy, of civilization over barbarism, has been most complete."[74] He called for the retention of the University of South Carolina as a liberal arts college, stripped of the agricultural department that had been recently added to it. That department was to be transferred to Clemson College, and Tillman urged support for the new school.[75]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2015, 9:25 PM

You left out one important part of his inauguration speech.

"The whites have absolute control of the State government, and we intend at any and all hazards to retain it. The intelligent exercise of the right of suffrage ... is as yet beyond the capacity of the vast majority of colored men. We deny, without regard to color, that "all men are created equal"; it is not true now, and was not true when Jefferson wrote it.[76]"

Is it really any wonder he was elected in a post-Reconstruction South Carolina?

I don't necessarily want Tillman Hall to be renamed, but come on, the guy was pretty despicable when it came to race. I won't deny that he did a lot for Clemson, but if he had his way, black people would never have been admitted to the university.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:18 PM

You can't pretend history did not happen and rewrite it to suit your needs. Tillman Hall is name for him because of WHAT HE DID to help start Clemson University not anything else. All of the history of the US pre reconstruction had terrible acts not just against blacks but Irish and indentured servants from many cultures. We learned from history

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jan 14, 2015, 9:19 PM

has a statue on the statehouse grounds

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A terrible person"

Jan 14, 2015, 9:23 PM

You're not a true Clemson Man if these are your honest thoughts.

There's no need to apologize for someone involved in agriculture owning slaves during a time when owning slaves was the norm, and perfectly acceptable.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "A terrible person"

And what about the fact that he bragged about leading the Redshirts to kill blacks?

call it the building formally known as Tillman Hall***

Jan 14, 2015, 9:26 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most South Carolinians, of that time, shared the same

set. Most of the South did the same. Some will deny anything. Move on, there is nothing that you can about what has happened other than beat your lips.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:35 PM

George Washington owned Slaves. You want to take him off the dollar bill? You want to change the name of Washington DC?

Jan 15, 2015, 12:34 PM

This is getting way more attention than it should. We are doing exactly what these few girls who googled Tillman and the pc wackos want keeping this subject alive. He's a dead man along with all that lived during that time. There are really bad people in history on all races and topics. Learn from it and move on.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic