Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hunter Johnson trajectory
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 5,562

Hunter Johnson trajectory

Aug 13, 2017, 3:32 AM

Am I right that HJ skipped the 2nd semester of his h.s. senior year to come to Clemson and take classes and practice with the team? Am I right that Hunter Johnson was rated by recruiting agencies as a top 2-3 QB in the United States in 2016? Am I right that all-time Clemson MVP Deshaun Watson followed the same path? And am I right that Clemson fans are still debating if we would have won the 1st 2014 game at UGA had Watson played more snaps?

Have we ever had a QB recruit out of high school rated higher than HJ? My point is that HJ seems to be getting short shrift based on KB's time as DW's 3rd string backup and T. Lawrence's impending arrival in Jan. 2018. And unlike Swag Kelly, to HJ's credit, he has been very humble and quiet. Good on him. KB and ZC also seem to be hard workers and class acts. It's no wonder Tiger fans are wondering out loud about what is really going on collectively in Coach Swinney's, Coach Elliott's, and Coach Scott's minds. And to the coaches' credit, very few seem to know, beyond Coach Swinney's tips of the hat to KB's composure, what is really going on at practices. The coaches really seem intent on watching this competition play out.

I a few weeks, Clemson Football will get one chance to play Auburn and Louisville in games 2 and 3, and look for Tiger coaches to have our best talent on the field at all positions to give our Tigers their best shot at winning. The first month of this season will be interesting. Indeed. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need to put our coaches in touch with a

Aug 13, 2017, 3:44 AM

Coach that can win a National Championship to pick his brain about how to handle a new QB situation and how to tell which one you can win with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: We need to put our coaches in touch with a

Aug 13, 2017, 8:50 AM

I think you might be right , but I'll reserve judgement on it until I see if this whole Dabo Swinney coaching experiment finally shows some progress to turning Clemson football around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Hunter Johnson trajectory

Aug 13, 2017, 4:57 AM

Am I right that HS QB raitings mean nothing after you enroll in college?

Am I right that a 3* Boulware started and a 5* Shaw Smith RS'ed last year?

Am I right that you are trying to tell our staff who should start at QB based on what you have read on the internet?

Am I right that 2o14 has nothing in common with 2017 except we will have a new QB? (Yes)

Just slow your roll at it will work out for the best as our coaches know a little something about football

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

boulevard was a 4 start recruit, and played in

Aug 13, 2017, 8:02 AM

the UA All American game

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 7:31 AM

Unless DW4 was going to be the QB and 12th man on D to stop Gurley. We still lose that game. Stoudt wasn't the reason we lost that game. Gurley had dang near 200 rushing yds. A 100 yd kick return and 3 TDs. Nick Chubb also broke 11 tackles for a TD. Stoudt threw some nice passes against UGAy that were dropped as well. If it wasn't for those drops we would've had the lead at half. Still Gurley treated us like a JV squad.

Aug 13, 2017, 8:14 AM

We did have some drops that game but remember it was a stalemate with both offenses going Three and Out pretty much the entire 3rd quarter.....

If DW gets that entire 2nd half at least the outcome could have been different.

I don't think we have the same situation as in 2014 though. KB is more capable than Stoudt and odds are HJ is not going to have the composure as DW did as a freshman....not many do.

Aug 13, 2017, 9:27 AM

Mark Richt implied in his interview that he was both happy and surprised that DW was not in there. I think the Tigers come out with at different result if DW was in their. Is there a blind spot with Dabo?

No man is perfect so Dabo must have a flaw

Aug 13, 2017, 1:06 PM

I mean no disrespect to KB but I have never been impressed, I also doubt very seriously that he will suddenly develop an accurate passing ability and without that we are a GT offense. Too much talent at WR to waste it on a big heart. I just hope we don't have to lose an early game before we figure out who that guy is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2017, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson trajectory ]

> Unless DW4 was going to be the QB and 12th man on D
> to stop Gurley. We still lose that game. Stoudt
> wasn't the reason we lost that game. Gurley had dang
> near 200 rushing yds. A 100 yd kick return and 3 TDs.
> Nick Chubb also broke 11 tackles for a TD. Stoudt
> threw some nice passes against UGAy that were dropped
> as well. If it wasn't for those drops we would've had
> the lead at half. Still Gurley treated us like a JV
> squad.

People also forget DW4 was coming off a broken collarbone.

Aug 13, 2017, 8:55 AM

Just read this, if anyone has forgotten the talent we got in Hunter.....

"Johnson was rated as a five-star recruit and was ranked among the top recruits in the 2017 class. Johnson was ranked by Rivals.com as the number 18 overall player (across every position) in the nation,[2] and was the 2016 Rivals 5-star challenge quarterback MVP.[3] He committed to the Tennessee Volunteers football in 2015 after taking multiple visits there.[4] However after a visit to Clemson University in December 2015 he flipped his commitment to Dabo Swinney's Clemson Tigers.[5] Johnson is a 2016 Elite 11 quarterback, and as such he was chosen to compete in Nike's The Opening. While there he made the All-Nike Rating Team (top 24 athletes nationally) with a score of 122.04 (only quarterback on the team).[6]
Johnson won the Pete Dawkins Trophy as the MVP of the 2017 US Army All-American Bowl.[7]"

Aug 13, 2017, 9:53 AM

Well said. Thanks for posting that detail. And Chase has a similar pedigree as well. I'm a big fan of HJ being our qb this year but only the coaches know if he's ready.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson didn't play D. Uga ran it down our throats in 14.***

Aug 13, 2017, 9:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watson didn't play D. Uga ran it down our throats in 14.***

Aug 13, 2017, 10:18 AM

Exactly my point. That toss with the FB leading around the edge killed us. When Watson did come in 2nd half it was 3 & out like stoudt.

Aug 13, 2017, 12:19 PM

Good post! Thank God we have Kent State before we have to play the "big boys". That is why you give QBs pretty much equal time in this first game (scrimmage) and see how it plays out.

I'd like to see Dabo open up the offense with Hunter in there and see how our receivers react. Based on all objective evaluations of his skillset, he is clearly the most gifted, brightest, and most talented QB in this group.

Aug 13, 2017, 4:17 PM

The only thing that matters is how he performs on the field at Clemson.

Everything else is just scenery.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 5,562
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic