Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How much of the weak ACC narrative
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

How much of the weak ACC narrative

Jul 6, 2019, 8:10 PM

Is a result of them expecting Clemson to win multiple National Championships in the coming years? Unlike many of the other excuses, this one gives them something to whine about ahead of time. I'm not sure that this excuse might not be them seeing the writing on the wall and trying to belittle it ahead of time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How much of the weak ACC narrative

Jul 6, 2019, 8:30 PM

It doesn’t change the fact Bamas margin of victory over Ssheshe schools was greater than ours was over ACC competition. Couple months ago Tua Turntheballova told Finebum their schedule didn’t prepare them for what they saw in the natty. His words not mine. Think about that statement.

Jul 6, 2019, 8:51 PM

That's interesting. I had not heard that Tua said that. It doesn't support the super tough SEC theory very well.

Jul 6, 2019, 8:39 PM

Bareftn said:

Is a result of them expecting Clemson to win multiple National Championships in the coming years? Unlike many of the other excuses, this one gives them something to whine about ahead of time. I'm not sure that thi*******************
I can see them using it as an excuse to keep us out of the playoff if we stumble early against Texas A&M or Syracuse.

A loss to Cuse could keep us out anyway, but i doubt they will be consistent enough to win the Atlantic even if they catch us unprepared.

However, the SEC pumpers would dearly love a T A&M upset they could use to set the "we deserve 2 teams in the playoff" agenda.

Jul 6, 2019, 8:59 PM

I definitely think some of that is happening. Let them start making excuses now as to why 'lil ole Clemson is raking in Trophies and wreaking havoc on the Grand ole Mighty SEC.

If weaker schedules are such a huge advantage, then why aren't teams like Houston, South Florida, Boise, etc, etc cleaning up National Championships??? Just saying!

Jul 6, 2019, 9:12 PM

Answer: None

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2019, 10:31 PM

Love every post on this thread.

Great observations and questions.

Truly, why aren't other teams following the same formula if "it's so easy"?

I thought I was going to read, "how much of the weak ACC narrative - is due to Florida St., Miami and Virginia Tech being down"?

But, the answer given was eye opening and very likely!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2019, 10:55 PM

. . let me clarify. Syracuse and NC State being good and ranked is not what the prognosticators want. They want "football schools" like Va.Tech, Miami, FSU ranked and in position to challenge!

I would love for those schools to be great as well! But, much like some of the noise you hear about Jawja - would they be good in the ACC? Remember VT and Miami were supposed to legitimize the conference as a "football conference"! Well, they haven't faired well since joining the ACC. Maybe the "boredom of playing in front of only 35, 000 at Wake or 40, 000 at Duke draws them to sleep, LOL? Or maybe the teams in the ACC just play to the level of the competition. That was a CU issue for a period of time as well. Coach Swinney and company have figured something out regarding that bit. But, every coaching staff hasn't. Teams subsequently get upset and unranked.
The ACC is 2nd in putting players in the NFL. Which unless you are just pure next level dumb means, these kids can play despite where the team is ranked. The rankings being a huge subjective thing and very flawed to begin with. Enter a team that is loaded with talent but as I said, "loses focus on the wrong Saturday" and bam they out of the running!
Now, what the ACC needs is for the contenders to be good out of conference. And, to handle business against teams who are struggling!

Anyone remember how well respected Miami and VT were prior to joining the ACC? They were blue bloods despite VT not having won it. Coach Beamers winning pct. spoke volumes and the program was well respected. Miami was a juggernaut.

Pitt, Syracuse, BC - all have been ranked and have had very good seasons over the years! They have besides Cuse all just been struggling together! I can't see it staying that way!

Again, these things are cyclical. Because I remember when Miami and Fla. St were dominating the polls. Bama was nowhere to be found. Florida was about all the SEC representation you had. Then Saban came. Spurrier left. Meyer came. In between there yeah, Chizik and Fulmer won 1 each. But, phreaking Georgia Tech did too! People are just caught up in the SEC-moment. Because they have forgotten how the SEC was just the first three letters in SECond place! 2nd place to the likes of Big East Miami, VT, Big 12 Texas, Southern Cal of the PAC 10 and Oklahoma of the Big 8(may have been big 12 by then). LSU and Bama and most definitely not Jawja were no where to be found. History suggest it will come back around.
This time Pitt who has at least one NC will be in the ACC. Miami has multiple NC. GT has a NC. FSU will be back and in the ACC. VT has the facilities and support to bounce back and will be ACC not big east. I even see Syracuse winner of the 59 championship is not going anywhere. They have a formula that works and the more success they experience the more of those grinders from the N.E. go there and not the O.S.U. Or come down south. I can see it changing and we will have the "experts" to thank! Hard work plus "some good athletes" plus superior coaching will beat a team full of highly rated recruits who "never form into a team"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2019, 10:29 PM

I really think the scoreboard in Santa Clara cleared up any doubt as to who the superior football team was .
Left a really bad taste in their mouths , having postured over and praised old Saban and the Tide the last decade .
Clemson went by them . Dabo has built the new power in CFB ...and I wholeheartedly believe that .
One game at a time . Bring on the Bees !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 6, 2019, 10:38 PM

Folks, it’s a coordinated effort being brought forth for 2 reasons.

1. They still believe UGA should have been In the playoffs last year and desperately want 2+ SEC teams in annually.

2. They are setting us up to eliminate us for consideration should be have a slip up- no mulligans. A 2 loss SEC team will have a better resume over 1 loss ACC team - that will be the narrative if they have the chance.

Jul 7, 2019, 7:02 PM

A two-loss SEC team getting in the next CFP over a one-loss Clemson? Absolute zero chance of happening.

Get out your tin foil hats folks!***

Jul 7, 2019, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: How much of the weak ACC narrative ]

They struggled against the Citadel but not the "mighty" sec

Jul 6, 2019, 10:58 PM

If alabama won this year's national title, they talking heads would have continued with their narrative that alabama was "the greatest team ever".

Normally, a team with a weak schedule gets exposed by better teams, especially in a playoff scenario. This is not the one-game vote-in like the BCS when lsu fell into a couple of times.

I wondered after regular season which conference was better, the ACC or the sec.

Everyone on Clemson's schedule scored, but 2 teams on alabama's schedule lsu (29-0) and miss. st (24-0) could scrape any points. The Citadel and ACC team louisville scored 17 and 14 points, respectively.

But hey, whatever!

I'll repeat what I used to say to Clemson fans back when Clemson fans complained about the lack of respect in the rankings: JUST WIN and KEEP WINNING.

No need to listen to the garbage.

For the record, I have not talked to anybody who are talking trash about Clemson or the ACC.

Go Clemson Tigers!!

Jul 7, 2019, 12:56 PM

Strange we never read about a weak PAC10 or BIG12. Those conferences are top to bottom the same or weaker than the ACC. The only difference is neither have a Clemson which is single handily destroying the SEC myth. For this reason the SEC fanboy media including ESPiN has to attack the ACC else admit other than Bama the rest of the SEC is good but not all that.

The pressure is on Alabama and Saban like never before

Jul 7, 2019, 2:11 PM

with this current narrative from SEC-driven media outlets. Much of the larger media universe is holding Dabo and Clemson in a special light these days, and deservedly so.

With so many new faces once again leading the troops in Tuscaloosa, plus a legion of media explanators pushing a redemption tale, and Tua being the only legit QB in the stable leading the charge - there's a mammoth load to bear on the shoulders of the Crimson Tide heading into 2019. There's three teams on their schedule this year that can punch them in the mouth. I can easily see Bama losing two of three of that mix this season and miss out of the CFP.

"The best is yet to come" vs a well paid and deep SEC media machine working many markets and beyond. I like our chances.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2019, 7:04 PM

The ACC sucks and has for a bit. Thats all. It will be back.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic