Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many here lived in the tin cans, had ROTC, and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

How many here lived in the tin cans, had ROTC, and

Jan 6, 2020, 9:33 PM

survived Rat Season? Those were the good old days which created strong bonds to dear Ole Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: How many here lived in the tin cans, had ROTC, and

Jan 6, 2020, 9:37 PM

It was hot as hell, but we had some wild and crazy times.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 9:41 PM

I did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 9:49 PM

That’d be me. 1968

Jan 6, 2020, 9:52 PM

Didn’t stay in the tin cans but I did stay in the prefabs behind Poole Hall and close to the old dairy barn..HOTTER than hades...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 10:14 PM

First year in A-804, second year in A-904, exactly one floor above. Facing the P-Plant and Death Valley and the Western Sun as it set over Hartwell.. HOT doesn't begin to describe it. And I had to wipe the asbestos off my bed every night (or every afternoon as the case might be, following a 3 day Charette in Lee Hall.) Ah, the old tin cans, I remember all too well.

Go Tigers!!!

Me 3 of those plus lived in pre-fab later..married!

Jan 6, 2020, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: How many here lived in the tin cans, had ROTC, and ]

Liked punishment, didn’t I..plus had a paper route in the pre-fab housing section over around the original P & A bldg.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Me 3 of those plus lived in pre-fab later..married!

Jan 6, 2020, 10:45 PM

Can you remember your address in the prefabs ?

I can , 190 Woodridge Rd .

Now don’t ask me what I had for breakfast this morning .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2020, 11:02 AM

We were 171 Armstrong.

Jan 9, 2020, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Me 3 of those plus lived in pre-fab later..married! ]

188 Woodridge Fall of 78 thru Dec of 79

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2020, 5:27 AM [ in reply to Re: How many here lived in the tin cans, had ROTC, and ]

Great memories! Lived in Quan. Hut where basketball dome is now.
Roaches everywhere. Long nights studying, week end parties.
Coach Howard, Mahaffey brothers and Dan's burgers.
Thanks to all for being part of my youth.

Jan 6, 2020, 10:17 PM

C-807 ... Drill on Thursday @ 4 on Bowman!

Jan 6, 2020, 10:25 PM

F2. AFROTC. Assembled on quad Thur 1600 hours and marched to Bowman. Guarded campus for Carolina game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2020, 7:50 PM

June ‘93 to October ‘98 in a tin can, USS Elrod (FFG-55). To the Med once and the Gulf twice aboard her. Averaged about 9.5 months every year on the waves. Saw it recently moored in the Delaware River at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, waiting to be scrapped.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 10:29 PM

Yep!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 10:38 PM

Johnstone E328 overlooking Death Valley over the Power Plant freshman year! Then E325 staring at Harcome for one semester my Soph yr. Went to Thornhill after that for 3 semesters.

Some of the funniest things we did my Frosh yr on E3 was chase both skunks and possums onto the floor. We were ground level on the hill, the end hall doors were often open til 10-11pm and we would round up critters, chase them into hall then close the end doors. Then we would sit in our room waiting for dudes freaking out, haha! The out of state or country guys were the best at freaking out!

The other thing was everytime someone passed out in the hall or bathroom, we would tape their outline where they laid, and there was almost always an outline around the pile of vomit. After good football wknds, we would have 4-5 outlines as you walked down the hall. Some fun times!

Jan 6, 2020, 10:48 PM

Yep .... first year in E in the bottom section on the side facing the plaza (canteen). My roommate, from Newburgh, NY lost 7 keys our freshman year, so eventually just used to come in and out of our room through the window by jumping onto the ledge over about an 8 or 10' drop down to the bottom floor.

My 2nd year I was up top (maybe C) facing Tillman Hall. My 3rd year several of us moved into Mrs. Clayton's house on 107 Dogwood Drive. I think she had about six or seven apartments in her house. We had a great time there.

All four years in the tin cans from 1965-1969, and

Jan 6, 2020, 10:49 PM

The same in Army ROTC.

One week after graduation in May 1969, I was in the Airborne School at Ft. Benning, GA, beginning my four years active duty.

I am stunned how so many TNetters remember their dorm and room numbers. lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All four years in the tin cans from 1972-76, but thankfully

Jan 6, 2020, 11:28 PM

no Rat Week or ROTC. Just surviving the cans was enough for me. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2020, 10:51 PM

Freshman year in D Tin Cans. Learned the value of tinfoil on those big windows and enjoyed the RATS cheerleading in the dining hall. 62-66.

Jan 6, 2020, 11:50 PM

D624 in 1968 as a rat, 4 years ROTC, rat march out into nowhere late one night and got egged, beat the 50 gallon steel drum night of SC game, thumbed a ride home to Greenwood-took 4 hours wearing my rat hat. I still have both my rat hats. They no longer fit my head.....

Jan 7, 2020, 1:10 AM

Hot as h ell, and cold as h ell.

Shaved heads and you better not taken that trat hat off or lose it.

Athletes lived in dorms w/students and ate in DR with students.

Upperclassmen had you up doing s hit at lunch, dinner.

Guarding campus on Big Thursday and later after Big Thursday, stil guarding campus all day, night. Beating drum 24 hrs. in front of Tillman hall.

Great dances in dining hall when your honey came on campus. The Mo town sound was popular groups to bring on v campus for the dances.

Filling up the little field house early for BB games. Never missed a one and sat right behing the Clemson bench. A group of us Headed there right after supper in dining hall.

Seniors got great ticket seats for home FB games which always started early on Sat. And Frank Howard dressed in coat and tie and hat pacing sidelines. All students who wanted tickets got them.

And Tigerama. WOW, really great.

Freshmen with no wheels. ### few with no wheels.

Didn't need a moving van to move into tin cans. A single suitcase and a duffle bag.

I'm sure I left off many more. I still have my rat hat after 50 yrs.plus. As well as the memories.

Met my wife, of 52 years at Clemson. She a Clemson grad and lived in the first co ed dorm.

During the week, she had to be in by 10pm. Weekend a little later. Midnight as I recall unless signed out to be off campus.

Those were the days, as they say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2020, 5:44 AM

Section A in 1970, Section D in 1971. 1972-73 I was in Norris.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Jan 7, 2020, 7:36 AM

2 of 3. D-3 right over the underpass facing the quad. Tiger band marching from the band room playing Tiger Rag on the way to DV was my wake up call on game day Saturdays. I think they came by around 9:30/10 which gave me plenty of time to shower and get on my coat and tie. No cell phones, but I knew my parents would be parked on the road to Cemetery Hill. C-4 facing the shoeboxes as a soph in '71. Lever facing shttletter the last 3 years. YES, I know that's 5 years.

AFROTC as Fr and Soph. Dropped ROTC when I got a high lottery number for the draft.

Missed out on the rat year fun.

Jan 7, 2020, 7:38 AM

Johnston’s 6th floor ‘70-71, probably one of the last rats! They let us few rats kiss a cheerleader at the amphitheater during our first football pep rally. Was so drunk I along with many others jumped into a big pool near the library at the conclusion of the pep rally. Cops finally had to run us out with bullhorns.

Jan 7, 2020, 7:39 AM

'68 lived in B-902. Yeh, it was hot in Johnstone. I still have my rat hat. :)

And I looked a lot better with hair, instead of bald.

They should never have ended rat season. It builds character (probably not lol).

Jan 7, 2020, 7:41 AM

1969 Golden Tiger here. As a Rat in 1965 stayed in E206. Next year in E209. Jr yr moved to the Shoe Boxes. Sr yr my roommate in Littlejohn Apts was my new bride of now 52 years. Showed our kids our Littlejohn Apt years ago before they were torn down. They said that they were glad they had not been born yet because we must have been "very poor" back then.?? Best academic year ever carrying 20 hrs both semesters. Saved a lot of time and $ not having to drive to Winthrop every Sat. ROTC check almost coverd our rent in Littlejohn Apts. Tin cans were hot & noisy but convenient to the mess hall, laundry, classes, and Death Valley. Those were the days.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2020, 9:41 AM

I suppose the username gives it away. E333
Saturday morning classes freshman year and no car of course so stood in the 'bummin' line" a few times.
Good times, even the extra semester!

Yes Tin Cans E632, Yes Army ROTC, No Rat Year

Jan 7, 2020, 9:51 AM

I do miss the 100yrd long hall with dirty brown padless carpet

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

been there, done that

Jan 7, 2020, 10:59 AM

and made runs to Dan's for late night snacks for the upperclassmen
on my floor - A7.

tigercee

Jan 7, 2020, 11:13 AM

Yep. C Section. 73-77 Gun racks were built in. Watched Burt Lancaster filming the "Midnight Man" from my window in the cans. Went tubing down the Chatooga after Deliverance came out.

Jan 7, 2020, 11:40 PM

These stories reminded me of more adventures in the tin cans. I took my son over for Basketball Camp when he was about 12 and I swear his room in the tin cans was my room my freshman year Section E. We were on the ground floor, the same level I think as the post office.

I was there 64-68 .... outnumbered the female students 15 - 1 ..... great odds for girls .... not so much us men.

Anybody remember the "Guns of Navarone" .......... the girl, not the movie? Probably a very nice girl!

Panty raids after pep rallies at the amphitheater were pretty common. One year, maybe 65 we caught a freshman who had avoided a haircut ....... he was held down by several other students while he received a proper rat haircut.

Jan 7, 2020, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the memories everyone. I think rat season made all of us feel a part of something. We were all equal and became devoted to the University. I grew up in Virginia but ended up in high school in SC. So I followed some of my friends to Clemson and don’t regret a minute of it. My visit in HS to Clemson was a CU vs UVa game. Clemson won and Iwas hooked for life. I was luckier than most..my first year was in the shoe boxes. After that i was in B, F, and new F. So 50% pf the time i had a/c, so as it was back then.
Go Tigers.

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Jan 9, 2020, 7:06 PM

D-510...'69...Have my rat hat on display in my china cabinet...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2020, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Re: How many here lived in the tin cans, had ROTC, and ]

1969, the last official Rat Season. Still have the Rat manual around here, some place. Writing is so small I can not read it anymore. Classes 5 1/2 days a week. Rat Olympics. Hot box E-622. These were Easy bake ovens from noon till 2000hrs. Spent too much time at the Study Hall in stead of the library.
4.9 males to every female enrolled, including the teachers taking courses at night in Godwin Hall, so you seldom saw them. No females living on West Campus. One phone booth per hall. Freshmen were not allowed cars on campus. Rat Season after we beat Virginia, White Meat. We beat GT at Grant Field. Beer 5 cents cheaper per can at Scotty's. Red carpet front an eating establishment till 5PM. Hardee's the only fast food place within 8 miles of campus. The bum lines by Sikes Hall. Rat Caps.

Jan 10, 2020, 8:59 AM

Started on C...moved to new A second semester...roomie flunked out...then to E as a dorm daddy for tenure...RA's got the best rooms...old senior officer days in ROTC...worked in cafeteria, what a place...we had no phone booths just pay phone hung on the wall...linoleum floors...box of tide, water hose, wet down floor take brooms and wiffaball and play hall hockey...E & F had two phones on a hall in places...also best access to parking...frat dorms had 25 cent movies?..chatooga could keep your beer and everything else cold...Esso Club was a cubby hole next to the radiator shop! Remember Jane Fonda and the moratorium against the war...It's amazing how many times a VW bus can roll before coming to a stop! Anyone remember plucking a hair from the ton and a half bull at the dairy barn, or sliding down the ### at Isaquena Lake sp....Or driving to Winthrop to get a date with a real girl...those were the days!

Jan 9, 2020, 7:36 PM

F -3 for 3 years and then new F -3 senior year ! Great years, wouldn’t trade them any other.

Jan 9, 2020, 7:40 PM

Me..................

Jan 9, 2020, 8:23 PM

Lived on A 6 as a Freshman is 1966. Commissioned in 1970..retired December 1999 to take a job as COO of a large school district...retired from that job December 18

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2020, 8:24 PM

Yep. That would be me.

Lived on B9 freshman year of 1972. The only phone on the

Jan 9, 2020, 9:13 PM

whole floor was a phone booth in the intersection of the two halls. And, for you young'uns, there was no such thing as a cell phone back then. Horrors! How did we ever survive, actually having to talk only to the people immediately around us? :)

Jan 10, 2020, 12:08 AM

Me ....'64-68 (ROTC 2 Years) ........ then on to OCS at Quantico

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic