Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Dexter Lawrence's NFL Combine measurables
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

TNET: Dexter Lawrence's NFL Combine measurables

Mar 1, 2019, 8:19 AM

Dexter Lawrence's NFL Combine measurables

Clemson defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence had the following measurements during the NFL Combine on Friday morning: Height: 6-4 4/8 Weight: 342 Hand: 10 4/8 Arm: Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How big of a nerd does it make me that that

Mar 1, 2019, 8:22 AM

Unreduced fraction part of his height bugs the sh out of me?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was my first thought too***

Mar 1, 2019, 8:23 AM

Snowflake Basher........Out

I didn't know what 4/8 was supposed to mean***

Mar 1, 2019, 8:24 AM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well we are talking about the NFL here...

Mar 1, 2019, 8:32 AM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

Their cornbread ain't done in the middle

Hahahahaha I came here to complain about this XD***

Mar 1, 2019, 8:47 AM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same here.***

Mar 1, 2019, 9:10 AM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

Well as a high school math teacher, I like that it bugs you.

Mar 1, 2019, 9:12 AM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

Fractions are a huge issue with a lot of kids even in high school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4/3 have trouble with fractions

Mar 1, 2019, 9:42 AM

:)

To me 4/8 is different than 1/2

Mar 1, 2019, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Well as a high school math teacher, I like that it bugs you. ]

4/8ths to me says I have 4 out of 8 pieces or parts. Mathematically, it works the same as 1/2 but it's different. If an engineer says 4/8ths the significance is that it is accurate to 1/8th of an inch. If an engineer says 1/2" it is accurate to a 1/2". The difference in tolerance might mean the reason why something doesn't work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To me 4/8 is different than 1/2

Mar 1, 2019, 11:47 AM

Watch "You will get your ### kicked saying something like that." on 8YouTube
https://youtu.be/wpecBkdpiK4

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Mar 1, 2019, 11:50 AM [ in reply to To me 4/8 is different than 1/2 ]

I've worked in architecture and engineering for 15 years and I've never heard of something referred to as "4/8ths"

Mar 1, 2019, 9:35 PM

So how would you improve the roofing terms of "2 in 12", " 3 in 12" or "4 in 12"?

Pretty sure these are ratios of the slope, which would make them 15°, 22.5° and 30°, but if I'm wrong I'd love to be corrected.

I have been in the

Mar 1, 2019, 12:17 PM [ in reply to To me 4/8 is different than 1/2 ]

engineering field for over thirty five years and have never heard of a 4/8” measurement. You simply use 1/2” with a +/- 1/16” tolerance or whatever tolerance the situation may require.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2019, 9:25 PM [ in reply to To me 4/8 is different than 1/2 ]

But it isn’t saying they are tangible things. C’mon it is half. I hated that 5 hour Freshman Calculus class when I was a freshman in ‘90

But it isn’t saying they are tangible things. C’mon it is half. I hated that 5 hour Freshman Calculus class when I was a freshman in ‘90

Mar 1, 2019, 9:26 PM [ in reply to To me 4/8 is different than 1/2 ]

Re: How big of a nerd does it make me that that

Mar 1, 2019, 9:34 AM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

I have a sort-of problem with it , but what's worse for me is calling someone's armspan a wingspan .
Is it too difficult to call it what it is ? They're not birds . Only birds have wingspans.
Amirite?

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

DB23

Mar 1, 2019, 11:19 AM

And bats. Don't forget about bats...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2019, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

Before I got down to your post I was thinking the same thing and started to post that I thought none of them were going to get airborne no matter their wing span.

I was also reminded of the young lady when she called the pizza joint to order a pizza and asked the person on the phone to cut her pizza in four pieces as she though she could not eat eight pieces.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2019, 9:36 AM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

As someone who uses practical math a lot in my work it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Leaving these fractions in the smaller unit size that they are measuring to just makes for quicker comparison with less room for error. I assure they aren’t doing it because of an oversight.

Mar 1, 2019, 1:44 PM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

This is my take on using 4/8 instead of 1/2.

In the NFL, they aren't too bright sometimes, and sure as hell have no clue how to equate fractions. So to dumb it down, they use the lowest denominator, so that all measurements are simple. There is no need to explain to other NFL guys that 3/8 is smaller than 1/2 because they can see that 3 is less than 4. I'm surprised that you guys actually think these guys are so physically talented and math-savvy too. It usually does NOT work that way.

That's similar to when I was paying for food at a register a few weeks ago, and the bill was $9.83. I gave them a $10 bill and .08 and they just stared at me. I said "the difference is a quarter". Sometimes I think they see numbers the way I do, but it usually confuses them. Not everyone was a math major, especially NFL types, so it confuses us math guys when they do not understand numbers like we do. Everyone has their special talents. Nerds Rule. LOL :)

Mar 1, 2019, 3:23 PM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

At least as big of a nerd as me. I noticed it right off and thought of commenting something in the manner of "why don't they use 64ths?" 1/2" = 32/64"!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2019, 4:23 PM [ in reply to How big of a nerd does it make me that that ]

Height: 6-4 123456789/246913578

7FT Wingspan

Mar 1, 2019, 8:57 AM

WOW

Funny how similar Cle and Dex's measurables are

Mar 1, 2019, 9:26 AM

except Dex is 80 pounds heavier. Their frames are almost identical.

84” wingspan is ridiculous!!!

Mar 1, 2019, 11:16 AM

That has to be close to the top of Dlinemen

Robert Wadlows wingspan was 113"

Mar 1, 2019, 11:37 AM

he didn't play football though

What this thread tells me is

Mar 1, 2019, 4:27 PM

There are a LOT of T-Net nerds! ;)

And yes, 8th's and wingspans but me, too!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What this thread tells me is

Mar 1, 2019, 4:54 PM

Lol I’m glad I’m not the only who saw 4/8 and said ###??

Re: What this thread tells me is

Mar 1, 2019, 9:21 PM

Fifth Third Bank really bothers me.

Re: 84” wingspan is ridiculous!!!

Mar 1, 2019, 5:26 PM [ in reply to 84” wingspan is ridiculous!!! ]

"That's not that much bigger than mine, if at all." - Flake Gentley, whose Fighting Phalluses have lost 300/60 games to Clemson in a row.

GO TIGERS

Re: 84” wingspan is ridiculous!!!

Mar 1, 2019, 9:29 PM

Got any limericks to go with that?

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic