Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest question...When Trevor won the NC as a freshman
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Honest question...When Trevor won the NC as a freshman

Jan 4, 2021, 11:50 PM

did you think that he would win another before he was done? I’ll admit that I did. I know it is extremely hard to win a national championship but when ETN came back plus having Trevor, I thought the offense would be unstoppable. He can’t do it alone though and the O line was very weak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest question...When Trevor won the NC as a freshman

Jan 5, 2021, 12:23 AM

The defense didn't help matters.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 8:26 AM

Defense had Wilkins, Lawrence, Ferrel, Bryant, Terrell, etc... we haven’t had an elite defense since despite the statistics vs ACcteams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree

Jan 5, 2021, 6:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest question...When Trevor won the NC as a freshman ]

Our defense has been regressing every year. Won because our D in 2018 CFP. Got some good breaks against Ohio State last year CFP and D played solid down the stretch, but just didn’t have it against LSU. Didn’t have it against an Ohio State team that wasn’t more talented than us this year, and might have been dreadful against Bama.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Thought We Would Go To Miami ---

Jan 5, 2021, 1:21 PM

I loved our chances with Trevor and Travis and others....but I NEVER saw this virus coming in and just completely alter things immensely. I knew there could be injuries....but we had a bit too many....to rely on very young players. I thought we would have another by beating LSU....but our defense wasn't up to par to defend LSU's offense.....plus Tony Elliott just stopped doing what could have kept us in that game a little longer by not running Etienne when he was getting like 7yds a pop. Speaking of Tony Elliott....I thought our chances were very good to beat Ohio State...but Elliott didn't get to call the game. I don't care what anyone says...that was the thing that made us play an important game with one eye and one leg. Dabo said he had a back-up plan but there is no way to put a plan in place like the one Elliott probably spent several days on preparing.... compared to just throwing Streeter or himself in the mix to call a game less than 24 hours before kick-off in a playoff game. It was not going to be the same flow or feel of the game for Clemson on the offensive side of the ball.

It was a complete shame....but this whole season was just more challenging than anyone could have imagined. We looked fine on the field for the most part...but off the field and in the stands.....things were definitely different. Because of that expectations were somewhat fragile.

Jan 5, 2021, 8:29 AM

I loved Trevor but his Freshman year he played a little more relaxed. His sophomore year he was having some issues and last year he didn’t have the team he had the year before. Put DW4 in there and I believe we would have won. He was by far the clutch player in a tight spot. Worked the 2 minute drill like no other we have ever had. I’m hoping DJ is that kind of player

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 8:45 AM

I had a thought this morning that while I thought Trevor would win 2 titles, I think DJ will have a better chance because he should have a better O-line in front of him and our D-line should be much improved. The reason you see guys reserve D-linemen transferring out is they see the younger guys are going to be cutting into their playing time.

Recruiting on the O-line has been MUCH better the last 2 cycles. We just need to get hem developed which should help the run game as well if we find a running back.

It all starts in the trenches. Bama offense was insanely good in 2018 but got crushed by our defense which all started with the line. Constant pressure on the QB and stuffing the run which we have not done well with 4 down linemen the last 2 seasons.

I hope DJ leads us to 3 national titles, but it was not so long ago that I would have been happy with just an ACC title. So if DJ delivers us another title I will be very happy! All we have to do is look at our friends from UGA and realize how fortunate we are to be Tiger fans these days.

Jan 5, 2021, 5:48 PM

So true. DJ will definitely have a better O line than Trevor. I do believe that DJ will win one. I guess everything just has to come together at the right time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2021, 9:29 AM

Lawrence, ETN, Ross, Rodgers, Higgins and Simmons helped cover the holes. We lost Simmons who was huge on Defense that was hard to overcome this year. Injuries on DL/DE/WR played a role this year no doubt.

LB's, Secondary and OL need to all improve for us to make it back to CFP next year. Our offense will be loaded so huge upside there.

Jan 5, 2021, 6:13 PM

In 2019, we ran into a historical buzz saw in Joe Brady / Joe Burrow at LSU. Our team had nothing to be ashamed of losing to that squad. They were an unusual team that was simply better.

In 2020, I never felt this was our year. Clearly we deserved to be in the CFP but at no point did I think we were clearly better than everyone else. The problems at receiver and on the O-line put a ceiling on how good we could be.

What really bothers me the most is getting blown out by Ohio State. It was obvious their players were better prepared, more hungry and more focused.

I love Dabo as much as anyone here. He is the reason I'm a hard core Clemson football fan despite having no connections with the university or the state. That said, Ryan Day and his staff embarrassed our staff. I feel like if they were coaching our players vs. Ohio State players, it would have been a blowout the other way.

Again, I respect Dabo more than any football coach, ever. But you cannot deny that an inferior team whipped our team and that coaching was the main reason (there were other reasons, of course).

Jan 5, 2021, 6:34 PM

MoCity said:

In 2019, we ran into a historical buzz saw in Joe Brady / Joe Burrow at LSU. Our team had nothing to be ashamed of losing to that squad. They were an unusual team that was simply better.

In 2020, I never felt this was our year. Clearly we deserved to be in the CFP but at no point did I think we were clearly better than everyone else. The problems at receiver and on the O-line put a ceiling on how good we could be.

What really bothers me the most is getting blown out by Ohio State. It was obvious their players were better prepared, more hungry and more focused.

I love Dabo as much as anyone here. He is the reason I'm a hard core Clemson football fan despite having no connections with the university or the state. That said, Ryan Day and his staff embarrassed our staff. I feel like if they were coaching our players vs. Ohio State players, it would have been a blowout the other way.

Again, I respect Dabo more than any football coach, ever. But you cannot deny that an inferior team whipped our team and that coaching was the main reason (there were other reasons, of course).

I left out WR issues in my prior post below, but great point. WR & OL were weak spots.

Jan 5, 2021, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest question...When Trevor won the NC as a freshman ]

I’m not sure I would consider them an inferior team. Their OL and DL were clearly better. And we were out coached.

Jan 5, 2021, 6:26 PM

Yes - I thought he would end up with one more.

Jan 5, 2021, 6:33 PM

did you think that he would win another before he was done? I’ll admit that I did. I know it is extremely hard to win a national championship but when ETN came back plus having Trevor, I thought the offense would be unstoppable. He can’t do it alone though and the O line was very weak.

I did as well and thought last year would be the year, but little did we all know that LSU would have something special. Figured we may have a chance this year & knew Bama would be in the mix. However, about midway through the year when the OL hadn't improved (by then we knew they were who they were) in run blocking I thought it would be tough. I definitely didn't think the OL would be so bad at run blocking and feel really bad for ETN. Dabo is being Dabo when he defends them, but they were clearly a weak link this year and underperformed.

Jan 5, 2021, 6:38 PM

No doubt I thought he would win another and that it would be this year. Was so excited about going to South Bend to see TL, XT and Ross in their 3rd year beat the brakes off ND. This year didn’t turn out like I expected in a lot of ways....

Jan 5, 2021, 7:00 PM

Totally agree!

I thought he would win at least one more, but I never

Jan 5, 2021, 6:39 PM

thought it would be the defense that brought us down in those big games. But, that same defense got us TO those big games. Still, there is work to do on both sides of the ball this offseason.

Jan 5, 2021, 6:47 PM

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic