Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could J-Ross be better than Mike W, Sammy, Nuk, etc.?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Could J-Ross be better than Mike W, Sammy, Nuk, etc.?

Jan 14, 2019, 12:10 AM

He has already passed Higgins, who is a beast himself, in my opinion. Ross seems to have the catch radius of Nuk/Mike W with the ability to put on the after burners more like Sammy W. Definitely not as fast as Sammy but a better overall WR I think.

It's hard to judge off 1 season but i'm saying based on POTENTIAL, I think Ross could be the best WR we've ever had.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could J-Ross be better than Mike W, Sammy, Nuk, etc.?

Jan 14, 2019, 12:19 AM

Mike W . I believe so. Sammy was a different type of receiver . . so you would have to define better. Hopkins . I would say possible, although matching what he has done in the NFL is never a guarantee.

Let's not annoint him just yet. To be sure, he is off to the

Jan 14, 2019, 9:53 AM

best start of any of them. And, I believe our perception of Nuk is scewed positively by his great performance in the NFL so far.

I personally would have to go with Mikey as far as being the most clutch wideout we have had. If the ball was anywhere near him, he was just flat out uncoverable, and was going to catch it. Ross has shown me a lot of that in just one year as well. Let's see what next year holds, with Renfrow gone, and the "cat out of the bag" so to speak on Ross abilities. He may end the discussion himself by his performance on the field.

BTW, I don't think Tee Higgins is going to accept being chopped liver either. I fully expect him to up his game tremendously next year. Top flight competitors don't like being surpassed, which he clearly was by Ross late in the season. Plus, don't forget more stud wideouts coming in next year. Next year is going to be FUUUUN!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's not annoint him just yet. To be sure, he is off to the

Jan 14, 2019, 10:23 AM

No way is our perception of Nuk positively skewed. If anything, we under appreciate him and how good he was at Clemson. Go look at his 2012 stats. They are mind blowing. I knew he caught everything thrown to him and was always clutch, but he had a break out season that was overshadowed by our let down with Sammy's performance.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's not annoint him just yet. To be sure, he is off to the

Jan 14, 2019, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Let's not annoint him just yet. To be sure, he is off to the ]

My opinion of nuk being the best wide receiver to come through Clemson has nothing to do with what he is doing in the nfl. His freshman year here he was really good. Ross has 2 extra games under his belt in his freshman season. But the year Sammy was supended the first 3 games, nuk destroyed auburn. Then go to the last game of the year he torched LSU when Sammy went down on the first play. He was a stud and when he was the focal point of the offense teams still couldn’t stop him. He was overshadowed by Sammy here. And truthfully Sammy was great. But he wasn’t the pure receiver nuk was. Sammy just had that one play home run ability.

Martavis Bryant had as much potential as any of them.***

Jan 14, 2019, 12:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Higgins reminds me of a more consistent Bryant, but we

Jan 14, 2019, 12:42 AM

really never scratched MB's surface at Clemson...Size, speed, dynamic catches...There's a reason they call Bryant Alien...If he could only get his #### together long enough to string a couple of seasons together

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Higgins reminds me of a more consistent Bryant, but we

Jan 14, 2019, 2:00 AM

Bryant has a ton of ability and is indeed a freak (hope in some way he can pull it together), but he is nowhere near the natural athlete of Ross. He has tremendous length, speed, and explosition... but he just isn’t that fluid. MW and Nuk are naturals. Ross may be the perfect combination of it all.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..and blew it all out of his nose. Got no pity for him.

Jan 14, 2019, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Martavis Bryant had as much potential as any of them.*** ]

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s possible. It’s possible.***

Jan 14, 2019, 12:47 AM

Jan 14, 2019, 1:48 AM

We have never had a more talented receiver than Justin Ross in my opinion. Sammy had the same level of hands and may have a very slight edge in top end speed. MB is not close in my opinion. MW has the edge on winningnthe 50/50 ball at this point, but Ross may catch him. Nuk has the best hands I have ever seen, but again, Ross may get there or at least close. I just don’t think we have ever had someone with literally everything until Ross. A lot of folks (several who spent years in the NFL) think he is a combination of Julio Jones and Randy Moss. That is a pretty lofty statement, but he’s a true freshman and completely unguardable at the college level.

Jan 14, 2019, 2:15 AM

I don’t think Ross has passed Higgins. Remember that Ross was the # 2 and got most of his reps with TL while Higgins was getting the main reps with KB.

So naturally TL and JR probably have a little better chemistry. Sometimes it depends on the defense as to which receiver has the better option.

I believe both will be 1st round draft picks.

He’s a Sammy/Nuk hybrid. Sammy’s speed + Nuk’s ball skills.***

Jan 14, 2019, 9:15 AM

Re: He’s a Sammy/Nuk hybrid. Sammy’s speed + Nuk’s ball skills.***

Jan 14, 2019, 9:30 AM

LMAO at the M Bryant could have been the best.. Yes he’s Tall and VERY fast but he is no where near Nuke, Watkins, MW, Tee, or Ross as a WR.

Bryant has poor ball skills, and even worse hands! Those 2 things are pretty important to be considered an elite receiver!

Message was edited by: Tiger1825

Re: He’s a Sammy/Nuk hybrid. Sammy’s speed + Nuk’s ball skills.***

Jan 14, 2019, 9:56 AM

Poor ball skills ? Guys that make NFL rosters don't have poor ball skills .
Check out the catch he made for a TD at the Orange Bowl against Ohio State ... his ball skills aren't in question .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Ross has the highest ceiling of any WR we've had under

Jan 14, 2019, 9:48 AM

Dabo. He's got everything... already.

Size? 6-4, 210 and will probably get a longer stronger. Check

Physicality? Already a fantastic blocker and incredibly good at beating press coverage. Check

Route Running? He's already the best route running WR we've had outside of Renfrow and he's only a FR. Check

Hands? Well he has two, but he really only needs one. Check

The only area where he isn't exceptional is speed. He's not going to run a 4.4 at the combine, but he's fast enough to beat DBs over the top and i also don't recall him getting caught from behind much this year either. The 4.87 that was on his recruiting profile last year is wayyyy off. He looks more like a 4.5 guy to me.

Comparison? Maybe AJ Green who was also 6-4, 210 with a 4.5 forty and incredible hands?

yes.. he is so strong and explosive with crazy hands

Jan 14, 2019, 9:56 AM

if he continues to work hard.. watch out

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic