Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is the Rest Of the Potter story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Here is the Rest Of the Potter story

Oct 15, 2019, 9:43 PM

Potter had no idea it was 4 th down and that he was up... the coaches had to go find him. They coaches were yelling , ‘ where is Potter’ . They found him joking with the other kickers instead of having his head in the game. He ran onto the field, putting his helmet on last minute... and then missed.

The anger had nothing to do w the miss. It had to do with letting one’s team mates down by having an apathetic attitude. This is not the first time they have had problems w his immaturity and focus.

When the game is on the line you want a serious dedicated kicker, not a kid who has shown multiple times he does not really care.

I will take dedication over talent / leg strength any day! He deserves to sit and hopefully will grow up from this experience.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He probably ran so far and so fast to get our there that...

Oct 15, 2019, 9:53 PM

...he was out of breath much less focused on doing his job.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He probably ran so far and so fast to get our there that...

Oct 15, 2019, 10:13 PM

that has happened to many Bama guys

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not excusing what happened...

Oct 16, 2019, 8:53 AM

But this may be a special circumstance, one-time only thing. Remember, on 4th down, Dabo was originally going to go for the touchdown, then called a timeout and changed his mind. Potter may have gotten the word that they were going for it and stopped paying attention. I don't know if he was warming up and paying attention before then, but there may have been a good explanation for this one event. Or not. Just something fixable that will surely be fixed. It would be good to hear from someone who knows what all transpired.

He still would be kicking XP shortly***

Oct 16, 2019, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is the Rest Of the Potter story

Oct 15, 2019, 9:54 PM

If this is the story I find it disturbing. Not only is it in the teams best interest but there was about 76,000 other people that it didn’t sit well with. I can find sub par performances at work without spending hard earned money.

Oct 15, 2019, 9:55 PM

You miss the point... sports is a microcosm of today’s society and we must all hold hands and get participation trophies. There’s no such thing as winners and losers and we mustn’t yell at poor student athletes who have it so very hard.

Ok sarcasm over and enough with Potter. The kid screwed up, deservedly got his A S S chewed, and will learn from it and become a better teammate. So D A M N tired of all the non stories related to Dabo and Clemson this year. This is right up there with the participation ring we should have mailed Kelly Bryant bull crap story. Can’t stand snow flakes and millennials making something out of nothing.

Oct 15, 2019, 9:58 PM

Somebody get a message over to Lightbulbbill and his merry band of trolls to get their response.

Please no! Don't feed the snowflakes.***

Oct 15, 2019, 10:06 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 10:07 PM

I don't give a shlt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 10:55 PM

If true, maybe Dabo should have Potter to follow every step he makes on the sidelines in full gear carrying everything that Dabo has to have available to him in an instant. Have Potter doing that for every game the rest of the season, and there won't ever be any doubt where he is when it's time for him to go in and do his job.

I would bet anybody that Potter wouldn't miss many kicks bc, the last thing he would want, is to listen to Dabo for the rest of the game after missing a kick. And nobody would have to worry about where Potter is when it's time for him to go in and do his job for the rest of the season or the rest of the time he is at Clemson until he graduates!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 11:38 PM

I heard a very similar version. I know that Potter should be responsible enough to be ready at a moment's notice but sometimes he must get distracted. My question is where's the Special Teams/Kicking coach and why isn't he making sure Potter is warming up by kicking into the net and ready? The coach should notice if his guy is not preparing himself with the way he's been kicking. He was only 5 of 8 before that miss and should have been on a short leash.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 11:52 PM

So, are you suggesting we should have a “babysitter” for Potter like the Coots did for Stephen Garcia?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2019, 11:53 PM

Carkeya

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2019, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is the Rest Of the Potter story ]

Game situations change so fluidly, how do you expect the ST coach to monitor every participant?

Did Will, or Phibbs, or the other guys need to be called?

This is part of what was so amazing about CW42: he hung on every play so he could dash to the end zone and hug his teammate, sometimes being the first one there, even after 1-play drives. You could ALWAYS find him on the sideline with his helmet in hand, ready to go.

He never took plays off, even when he was off the field.

I guarantee you that Sawicki won't be joking with the kickers when Dabo needs him this week!

Oct 16, 2019, 6:49 AM

Not just Sawicki will be paying attention after what happened last Saturday. Potter got the brunt of Dabo's rath but everyone got the message.

Last thought, things may have changed but back in my day, the Special Teams coach used to walk the side line and before the 3rd down snap, yell punt team, punt return or field goal team get ready. I guess that's too much to ask of a person making a half million dollars a year that needs to have his personnel ready.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2019, 8:51 AM

How do we know that didn't happen? It sure seems like the other 10 guys were ready.

Oct 16, 2019, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is the Rest Of the Potter story ]

Clemson's entire staff shares special teams duties.

None of them hold players hands to make sure each individual player is where they are supposed to be.

Back in my day, the kicker who only has one job, unlike the coaches who are trying to do lots of things during games, would come stand right next to the coach so when FG team was called he was ready to take the field.

People who are giving Potter a pass are forgetting we were inside the 10 yard line. We will either be kicking a FG or an XP in that scenario 95% of the time. He wasn't ready for either.

Oct 16, 2019, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is the Rest Of the Potter story ]

Every player on the sidelines dressed out and able to play needs to be engaged in the game and know exactly what’s going on so when it’s time for the next man up he will be ready to go in and he will know what is going on. There are over 80 plus players and maybe 12 to 15 coaches. The coaches are focused on the game and cannot babysit individual players. If they are focused on the game they know when to go in, if not this is how you get substitution penalties are you give up big plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2019, 7:27 AM

I agree. Crazy he wasnt ready. On a differwnt note, I wonder why he and Will aren't together in that situation.

Oct 16, 2019, 9:38 AM

Probably because Will is near the coaches in the event that a WR is needed for a non-FG offensive play.

Based on what we know of Will, I wouldn't imagine he is sitting around with the kickers waiting or FG team to be called. I'm sure he wants to be available anytime he gets a chance to get on the field on offense.

ST Coach should not have to babysit players. He needs to be watching

Oct 16, 2019, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is the Rest Of the Potter story ]

The game too. Besides, what you’re suggesting doesn’t account for a kicker needing to be paying attention for a pick-6 to go kick the extra point. My son was a kicker. He has ADD but he still watched attentively the whole game. One time he couldn’t find his tee and they had to go for 2 and didn’t make it. That was a hard lesson for him and he didn’t have that any trouble with that after he got chewed. He didn’t think anything about the chewing either, other than he deserved it.

saddis56® said:

I heard a very similar version. I know that Potter should be responsible enough to be ready at a moment's notice but sometimes he must get distracted. My question is where's the Special Teams/Kicking coach and why isn't he making sure Potter is warming up by kicking into the net and ready? The coach should notice if his guy is not preparing himself with the way he's been kicking. He was only 5 of 8 before that miss and should have been on a short leash.

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

If he needs a babysitter, we don't need him...

Oct 16, 2019, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is the Rest Of the Potter story ]

What he needs to do is get his head out of his a$$ and go do his job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hate it for Potter, but he1l I've witnessed a heck of

Oct 16, 2019, 7:11 AM

a lot worse watching a DI rip a recruit's head off in basic training.

That the media and others were crying is demonstrative of the wussiness in today's society.

Lastly, I have no doubts that he will be allowed to redeem himself at a perfect moment......And he'll leave the field with the same gaping grin that Andy did several years ago!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kinda stinks that our kicker doesn’t like football enough to watch the game***

Oct 16, 2019, 7:16 AM

Oct 16, 2019, 8:08 AM

Most likely Dabo was purging the last of the UNC hangover. Lack of focus, head not in the game, believing the media BS about a weak ACC and all Clemson has to do is nap until playoff time. Hopefully this is the last of it and the team will focus and take care of business the rest of the season.

Somebody go tell Small Fry.

Oct 16, 2019, 8:42 AM

I can't wait till our Tigers beat the ever living #### out of the coots.

I hate 'em.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

If this is really what happened, that is even sadder than

Oct 16, 2019, 9:03 AM

just some issue with mechanics. He is on the team to do one thing, kick the ball when called upon. It should not be too much to ask for him to pay attention to the game going on and be ready when that call comes. I wish Sawicki success going forward, because there will be more games down the road where a field goal matters. Just ask Georgia if field goals are not important.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic