Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Help! Question About Sports and Fatherhood.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Help! Question About Sports and Fatherhood.

Oct 1, 2020, 11:48 AM

I’ll try and keep this brief. It’s about a disagreement my wife and I are having.

I was born and raised in SC and lived there most my life. Since I was little I always loved Clemson number 1 and in professional sports I was a big Braves fan.

A few years ago after I graduated we moved to Reds Country and we now have a son. Because of where we live, I am raising my son as a Reds fan though I am still a Braves fan. I am doing this because I don’t want to make him a Braves fan just because I am one. I want him to have his own home team that he can connect with. My wife disagrees and thinks I should raise him as a Braves fan so we can share that together.

Any of you other TNet fathers have thoughts on this?

Clemson is not negotiable, he will be a Tiger fan for certain. No worries there!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't it make moar cents to get the ever loving hail out

Oct 1, 2020, 11:52 AM

of ohio?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Wouldn't it make moar cents to get the ever loving hail out

Oct 1, 2020, 12:41 PM

Yep, that’s what I done did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better dead than Red !!!

Oct 1, 2020, 11:52 AM

HTH !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Help! Question About Sports and Fatherhood.

Oct 1, 2020, 11:57 AM

I have couple principles you might apply.
1. If you don’t influence your child with your values, then a stranger will.
This applies to Clemson versus bucknuts.
2 expose your child to many options and let them decide.
This applies to all other sports and teams.
HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2020, 11:57 AM

I have couple principles you might apply.
1. If you don’t influence your child with your values, then a stranger will.
This applies to Clemson versus bucknuts.
2 expose your child to many options and let them decide.
This applies to all other sports and teams.
HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Help! Question About Sports and Fatherhood.- weak

Oct 1, 2020, 12:02 PM

you stole this from the guy who just posted it. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Assigning your child a professional sports team at birth is

Oct 1, 2020, 12:01 PM

no longer en vogue. He should be able to decide on a professional sports team for himself. He may be interested in both the Reds and the Braves, or may switch sides occasionally depending on a number of environmental factors (i.e. a fluid situation). Your son may also decide to pull for one team while wearing the jersey of the other team (a crossover situation).

Finally, he may be professional sports team neutral.

HTH that helps.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Assigning your child a professional sports team at birth is

Oct 1, 2020, 12:06 PM

I think I see what you did there

Oct 1, 2020, 12:01 PM

I appreciate your concerns about the Bucknuts. I would never let my child view them positively. Just to make clear we do not live in Ohio, we are in Indiana.

Anywhere near Pawnee?***

Oct 1, 2020, 12:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Oct 1, 2020, 12:06 PM

Just my opinion, but I'd let him decide which team he wants to pull for once he is old enough to enjoy sports. You never know, he just might pick a different team because of the teams jersey, or mascot ,unless of course it's a team like the no-name Washington Wimps football team.
You don't have to be born, or live in a city to pull for a team. I'm a life long Cowboy fan, and I was born in Atlanta, but could care less about the Falcons.

Nothing wrong with exposing your son to the teams you

Oct 1, 2020, 12:23 PM

like or your interest. He will eventually make up his own mind. Whatever he decides, enjoy it with him. My nine year old, pretty much pulls for the same teams I do, however, we do have some differences. We pull for different NASCAR drivers but we still enjoy watching the races together and make the best of it. Have fun and make a lot of memories.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds abusive.

Oct 1, 2020, 12:27 PM

Poor child being made to watch baseball.

Oct 1, 2020, 12:37 PM

As someone who has been involved in sports for my entire life with my dad and other family members being coaches and having personal involvement as well, my main recommendation would be to show your child your passion for sports in general and with that you will show him your passion for your specific teams.

I would discourage trying to make him a Reds fan simply because of where you live. Your heart won't be it and it will likely show. If you aren't going to push the Braves, I would not push any baseball team at all.

I share my love of Clemson with my dad but almost none of our professional sports ties are the same. I was always very aware of who he pulled for but I did not make my decision to pull with him or against him but just found teams I like. Admittedly neither of us are overly passionate about any specific professional sports team in the way we are about Clemson sports.

With my daughter (and I will do the same with my son when he is old enough) I try to share my passion for sports and I make it very clear who I pull for. She frequently shows interest in other teams as well typically based off of uniform color or mascots and I encourage that as well. Her preschool teacher is a Florida fan so my daughter says she pulls for the Gators as long as they are not playing the Tigers.

I am very VERY intentional about making sure my daughter does not pull for certain teams. The team she never pulls for is the "stinky chickens". We don't say game***** in our house! Other teams she knows she can only pull for if they play the chickens are the Bucknuts and the Bulldogs.

One thing I will say about getting your child to love Clemson is to take them to Clemson and the experience will do all of the work for you.

Oct 1, 2020, 1:26 PM

I am a Clemson fan, my son and daughter are Clemson fans.

I am a Brave fan, my son and daughter are Brave fans.

I am a Falcon fan, my son and daughter are Falcon fans.

We lived in the Chicago area most of their young lives and they both still live there. Yes they chose between the Cubs (daughter) and Sox (son) and yes they both like the Bears, but when they play the Braves or Falcons, the Braves and Falcons are first. There is no decision when it comes to college sports, it's Clemson 100%.

It was not a forced thing but they did have to watch a lot Clemson, Braves and Falcons on TV when they were young. I never told them they had to be a fan of any team. It was kind of a natural progression.

Message was edited by: saddis56®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your wife is right

Oct 1, 2020, 1:31 PM

Always. Remember that and you will be happy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^He's right. I wished I had heard this rule about 6 years

Oct 1, 2020, 1:42 PM

ago. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2020, 2:39 PM

My son and daughter will be raised a future tiger BUT their pro teams will be Washington football, Baltimore Baseball, and meh for NBA

My younger brother ironically decided to become a Cincy Bengal fan solely because he liked the helmits A tiger close enough, but I can't imagine cursing someone that much for a cincy sports team. I guess it could be cleveland or ... cootlumbia.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic