Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hear me out on Dabo...its time for some change imo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Hear me out on Dabo...its time for some change imo

Jan 14, 2021, 10:52 AM

I admire Dabo for his culture-build and the integrity he brings. It inspires loyalty from players and coaches alike. Up to now Dabo has not gone the JUCO route and I hope he continues that. The portal is another matter.
P5 CFB is changing significantly due to the transfer portal and every player having the ability to transfer once without losing eligibility. Clemson could have used some help in the D backfield this year as well as on the OLine. I dont see a problem bringing in a senior via the portal to shore up a position to make the team more competitive. It's like in baseball bringing in a starter or bullpen guy in August.
Like I said, P5 CFB has changed due to the portal and I think Clemson needs to consider a slight change in strategy as well....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hear me out on Dabo...its time for some change imo

Jan 14, 2021, 10:54 AM

A GIF of Dabo Swinney staring at a tiger on ESPNU - SBNation.com

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

lots to take into account

Jan 14, 2021, 10:57 AM

if you love our culture, they would have to fit the culture first. New schemes, new playbook, new regimen. I think that is a lot to put on a kid for just 1 year and is it worth alienating some juniors that need playing time to get to that pinnacle Senior year. Seems like you would get drunk on the idea (if it worked one time) and then lose culture and keep rotating guys in and out constantly.

I don't like it unless we just had a gaping hole (LOL) that we couldnt fix.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly, when we have a gaping hole!

Jan 14, 2021, 11:02 AM

We had a couple this year....

We didn’t have gaping holes in the O-Line.

Jan 14, 2021, 12:39 PM

Which is why ETN turned into a glorified WR the latter half of the season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hear me out on Dabo...its time for some change imo

Jan 14, 2021, 11:01 AM

It would have to be someone we initially recruited and

Jan 14, 2021, 11:07 AM

Thought well about the player but we lost him for some reasonable circumstance...

Actually we have taken transfers, just very few. Had that

Jan 14, 2021, 11:13 AM

backup qb from Stanford a couple years ago, though I think he was grad transfer.

But I think bringing in guys at a position we see as lacking would do more harm (to culture) than good. One of the selling points is you commit to us/we commit to you.

Everything you say can be right, and the lack of transfers

Jan 14, 2021, 11:58 AM [ in reply to It would have to be someone we initially recruited and ]

in be explained by not having those variables line up.

For instance, pick one of the groups that struggled this year. There are no players there that were not highly recruited; they are athletes. Therefore, you don't know that the group is going to struggle that much until, in this case, November. So, first, you have to have a clear need back in January.

Then the need has to be so great that the transfer in doesn't diminish a commitment to a young player that just needs time. Would I bring in a transfer to play while Fred Davis or a soph olineman gets his feet under him? Not a chance.

Then the right guy has to come along that fits the personal parameters you and I would agree on. At our level, you're talking shoe-in second team all conference who helps old ladies across the street. A lot of slots have to line up for a penny to fall, I think. If you're SC, you can throw a dart at the portal. With us, it's a 1-in-a-thousand deal, I think.

If I had to just pick a perspective, I would say just forget it. Not enough benefit for too much risk. But yes, if a Jalen Hurts comes along, and for some reason we have nothing but 3* guys there, sure. What a time to be a Clemson fan, to even have this conversation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you are too far off, but yes

Jan 14, 2021, 11:19 AM

it would probably be a rare case that the fit would be there. I'd have somebody look in to any and all players but would not want that to be a well visited often.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I refuse to second-guess Dabo on stuff like this...

Jan 14, 2021, 11:32 AM

he transformed our program to consistently be at the top of the sport. Until we start losing or missing on a lot of recruits, Ima sit back and enjoy the ride.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I kind of agree.

Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 AM

I think we have to figure out how and when to use the portal to suit our program culture. Staying away from it completely isn't going to be an option as the portal (and college football) stands now, but I also don't want us to rely on it either. It's a delicate balance, and it does impact scholarship numbers. I have faith that we'll make the best use of it, but I'll reiterate the point that it cannot be be ignored as if it wasn't an option for Clemson. It's like a new technology...our 'company' will have to figure out how to implement it so as not to fall behind in a competitive marketplace.

That said, I think the portal also needs to change from the free-for-all format to something more akin to one free pass before typical transfer rules like sitting out a year apply. Crazy to think that a Covid-era freshman could actually end up playing for six different teams over a career as the rules stand now.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The big change I'd like to see is that a player cannot

Jan 14, 2021, 12:55 PM

follow a coach. Sure, the kid can transfer if a coach is fired or leaves for another gig, but he cannot take established players with him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That one is a bit prickly.

Jan 14, 2021, 1:13 PM

Kids build a relationship with the coach first, and then the school. It's still the kid's decision, so I'm not so hung up on that one.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

heck it worked in 2016 and 2018 somehow

Jan 14, 2021, 1:09 PM

we have a spoiled fanbase AND you have jewelry and you are still complaining

When Dabo makes a change, I will be fine with it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic