Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Head coach at Auburn...top 10 job or no?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Head coach at Auburn...top 10 job or no?

Dec 21, 2020, 4:37 PM

I say a resounding NO, but there was a big discussion on ESPN radio last week about it, and they concluded that it was. In 2020, I would say the top 10 jobs are (in no particular order):

Alabama
Ohio State
Florida
Oregon
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Georgia
Clemson
Michigan
Texas A&M

What are yours?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Top 10? I dunno about that !!!

Dec 21, 2020, 4:40 PM

Great job for the right person? Absolutely!

Passionate fan base, great facilities, and a history of success.

The problem with Auburn is their rogue boosters who will make things incredibly difficult for any coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

If you want to be paid, but not have to coach***

Dec 21, 2020, 4:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, not a top 10 job.

Dec 21, 2020, 4:51 PM

In addition to your list, I would also include Texas and USC as better jobs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Certainly NOT. Think Frank Solich or even Brian Kelly

Dec 21, 2020, 4:55 PM

Solich was fired for 3 seasons of 9-3
Every year ND fans want Kelly's head. Watch - it will start again after the Bama game. What do they want .. Davie, Willingham or Weiss.

The same story is my forecast for Auburn.
Auburn has put a premium on winning and given a front seat to boosters.this is a recipe for disaster.
There is some lesson here for Clemson fans too. It is hard to find a Dabo and venables. Let's enjoy the moment. Something tells me that Tigerswinning streak will last beyond Dabo. He will see to it that is a reality (Ex Barry Alvarez).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Head coach at Auburn...top 10 job or no?

Dec 21, 2020, 5:00 PM

Replace Oregon and A&M with Texas and USC and that would be my top 10 list.

Dec 21, 2020, 5:05 PM

10 years ago, would Clemson be in the top 10 jobs?

10-15 years ago Clemson probably wasn’t a top 15 job

Dec 21, 2020, 5:24 PM

As Dabo said, it was a sleeping giant. Yes we had some success during 80’s but that was purely it. Hayfield destroyed what Ford had created.

With all that said, Tommy Bowden had the right vision. He woke up the athletic department and School to make them realize what was needed to compete on a National level.

Dabo finished the vision

Dec 21, 2020, 5:20 PM

Definitely is a top 10 job for the right guy.
I certainly would place it over Oregon, Georgia ,and Texas A&M.
After all, what have those 3 schools done in the past decade.

Georgia is a wayyyy better job than Auburn

Dec 22, 2020, 8:45 AM

You are overvaluing one factor and ignoring a lot of others.

Re: Georgia is a wayyyy better job than Auburn

Dec 22, 2020, 9:07 AM

UGA is better because it seems they have grown accustom to underperforming.

Expectations create pressure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 6:52 PM

In no order, my top 15 jobs where a good coach can win a lot and a great coach can dynasty given monetary resources, nearby recruiting territory and/or admin support systems:

BEST CHANCES - Top10
Alabama
USC (so cal)
Texas
Oregón
Ohio State
Florida
LSU
Clemson
Auburn
Georgia

2nd BEST TIER - The Other 5
FSU
Miami
Michigan
Texas A&M
Norte Dame

Dec 21, 2020, 6:53 PM

Meant to add Oklahoma and not Georgia.

Dec 21, 2020, 7:10 PM

Clemson isn't a top 10 job.

If Dabo gets hit by a milk truck or goes to the pros, they will give the job to Venables if he wants it or to Elliot if he doesn't with the understanding that Venables stays as the defensive coordinator.

It wouldn't be a top 10 job for any other coach because in order to sustain what Dabo has built you'd have to maintain what he has done and I have no confidence someone could come in from outside and do that.

I don't think Auburn is a top 10 job because of their boosters and Alabama, but it's a place where you can recruit (with a bag man's help, possibly) and will be in the national championship hunt if you can beat Alabama or lose to Alabama but win the other games and, really, year in and year out the SEC isn't that good after Alabama. There is no reason with good recruiting that Auburn can't do what Georgia is doing a be a perennial top 10 team.

They also pay people really well to not coach there anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2020, 8:00 AM

I would agree with that. My list:
Alabama
Ohio St
Texas
Oklahoma
USC
Notre Dame
Texas A&M
Florida
Michigan
LSU

After these, it seems like there are a bunch of closely ranked jobs:
Auburn
Georgia
Clemson
Oregon
Stanford

There are also a group of teams that have been in that top ten that have fallen recently. I am not sure how you would rank them today, but at their peak they were in the conversation for best jobs:
Penn St
Nebraska
FSU
Miami
Georgia Tech (yes, a long time ago)

Dec 21, 2020, 10:07 PM

Arguably top 10. Definitely top 15. Natl championships cab be won at Auburn. Not so at Michigan, Notre Dame and Oregon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2020, 8:02 AM

Heck no even the Coots beat them. They have fallen down to middle of the pack in SEC

Top 15? Yes. Top 10? I don't think so.

Dec 22, 2020, 8:19 AM

I think the real USC is still a top 10 job. They do goofy stuff in the athletic department there, but the right coach could have that team competing for playoff spots again relatively quickly, and I'm not sure you can say that about some of the other programs you have listed. The same with Texas... Texas is absolutely still a top 10 job.

LSU is also a top 10 job for me. They have access to tons of talent in LA and the Houston area, and a monopoly on a lot the in-state guys. They put as many players in the NFL as anyone.

I think this is my current top 10 (not in order):

Bama
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Ohio State
Clemson
Oklahoma
Texas
USC

Actually, now that i write that out, I'm kind of stuck at 9 and not sure who should be 10. It's not Auburn though. My top candidates for the last spot would be Michigan, A&M, Penn State, Notre Dame, Oregon, and Auburn, but Auburn is more towards the end of that group. (Oh how quickly FSU has fallen!)

I feel like those other 9 programs basically have everything (or could have everything) while the others are missing something. Like just to use A&M as an example... A&M has lots of money and passionate fans, but they have no history of winning, they are still second fiddle in their own state and probably always will be (a problem Auburn shares), and there's no clear path to winning for them being in the same division with Alabama... not to mention LSU and Auburn as well.

until Saban retires ... No way***

Dec 22, 2020, 8:51 AM

no way Tex am is a bigger job than TExas

Dec 22, 2020, 8:52 AM

USC > Oregon

UF = FSU

Clemson is not a top 10 job.

Notre Dumdums , Alabama, and Texas are probably the top 3 college football jobs..

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: no way Tex am is a bigger job than TExas

Dec 22, 2020, 8:59 AM

Wrong on the Florida jobs. UF > FSU. Better financial position, better school. Historically similar as far as success, but currently UF way more attractive of a job. More similar to Alabama - Auburn than equal.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic