Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson basketball - where we stand right now.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,907

Clemson basketball - where we stand right now.

Feb 3, 2021, 4:58 PM

11-5 overall (.688)
5-5 conference (.500)

We are currently ranked 7th in the ACC, just behind Duke (5-4) and just ahead of Syracuse (4-4).

We are 7-1 at home, and 1-4 on the road.

NET: 53
3-5 vs. Quad 1
4-0 vs. Quad 2
3-0 vs. Quad 3
1-0 vs. Quad 4

Our NCAA Tournament resume is still solid, as we have several good wins and no bad losses. All 5 of our losses are against quad 1 teams, which makes them "good losses" if there is such a thing.

Our schedule the rest of the way is favorable, based on our performance thus far this year. Consider:

Seven of our 10 ACC games thus far have been against opponents currently ranked ahead of us in the standings. This includes UVA (#1 in ACC), Virginia Tech (#2 in ACC), two against Florida State (#3 in ACC), Louisville (#4 in ACC), North Carolina (#5 in ACC), and Duke (#6 in ACC).

Our remaining schedule includes games against Syracuse (#8 in ACC), Georgia Tech (#8 in ACC), Notre Dame (#11 in ACC), Pittsburgh (#8 in ACC), Wake Forest (#14 in ACC), Miami (#13 in ACC), and another against Pittsburgh (#8 in ACC).

The seven games we have left are all very winnable. Four are at home, and three are on the road.

We are in good shape if we remain focused and play our game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Clemson basketball - where we stand right now.

Feb 3, 2021, 5:46 PM

Judge what’s up with Newman? I expected big year from him. Even in street clothes last night, seems engaged in game encouraging his teammates.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2021, 5:49 PM

Discipline issues I believe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has been in a funk most of the year.

Feb 3, 2021, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson basketball - where we stand right now. ]

I expected him to take another jump this year in production. He’s definitely regressed.

He battled a couple of injuries earlier in the season (concussion, knee) so I wasn’t surprised by his slow start. I figured he would be back to 100% by now though.

He is playing 20 minutes a game, but only averaging 5 points per game on 35% shooting (27% on 3s). He has only had 3 games where he scored in double figures, although two of those were recently (losses to FSU and GT).

I haven’t watched him as closely on defense lately, but given our poor perimeter defense in that three game stretch of blowout losses, I assume he wasn’t lighting it up on that end either.

Here’s to John getting it going again soon! He is certainly capable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: He has been in a funk most of the year.

Feb 3, 2021, 6:56 PM

Thanks for update. I believe he at 100% could elevate this team a great deal.

11 wins

Feb 3, 2021, 7:02 PM

7-1 home and 1-4 on the road does not add up
3-0 neutral sites?

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes...early on we had neutral games against....

Feb 3, 2021, 9:53 PM

Miss. State, Purdue and Alabama.
All good wins.

Feb 3, 2021, 10:25 PM

We have four bad losses. Getting blown out 20-30 points is a bad loss whoever you play. Good teams don't let that happen.

Feb 3, 2021, 10:41 PM

I don’t think you watch much college basketball.

It happens to “good” teams all the time. Maybe not 4 times in a month, but the ship has been righted now.

Maybe you’d like to go back to the primary argument of 2019: “good teams don’t go 3-10 in games decided by 5 points or less.” My primary response back then was “ Some of those close losses were to teams that should have beaten us by 20. Would you rather lose by 20 points or 5 points? Isn’t a loss a loss?”

Now we’ve lost 3 road games and a UVa clinic at Littlejohn to the 4 best teams in our league (season-ending records will bear that out) in ugly fashion. Would you feel better if we went back to losing by 5 or less?

I was referring to the NCAA selection committee.

Feb 3, 2021, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson basketball - where we stand right now. ]

Bad losses are not defined by margin of defeat as much as they are the caliber of the opponent.

All of our losses are against quad 1 teams. Plus, we have 3 quad 1 wins. We have no losses to quad 2, 3, or 4 teams.

That’s a pretty good resume.

It doesn’t matter whether you or I think they were bad losses, the people who choose NCAA Tournament teams don’t consider them bad and that’s what matters.

Maybe he’s thinking back to when the NET factored in...

Feb 3, 2021, 10:50 PM

Margin of victory/defeat.
That didn’t last long, but I think it was in there at one point a few years back.
Mercifully, that is no longer the case.

Can this team score consistantly is the question?

Feb 3, 2021, 11:12 PM

Brownell lements it win or lose in his pressers. He knows. We know. Everyone knows. We are not an offensive juggernaut, and if the ball doesn't find the bottom of the net early, we are in trouble with any team we play from here on out. I hope the mojo is back!

I added "is the question" without taking out the question mark

Feb 3, 2021, 11:20 PM

It's not a question. This team is undersized, and if shots don't fall from the perimeter, they will struggle with any team in the bottom of the league.

Therefore, "Winning Out" is the new Prime Directive

Feb 4, 2021, 12:21 AM

Beside the other Prime Directive, Score More Points Then The Other Team

This is not pie in the sky wishful thinking. No Try, DO !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,907
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic