Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hatfield's Biggest Win?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Hatfield's Biggest Win?

Aug 8, 2017, 3:39 PM

-1991 vs (19)Georgia Tech 9-7 (Defending National Champions)?

-1991 vs (12)NC State 29-19 (NCSU had our # for a while in the late 80s).

-1992 @ (10)Virginia 29-28 (The Comeback)?

That NC State win was big. We went down to Athens in 1991 and got embarrassed, then came home and tied with a very mediocre UVA team in the Valley. We were on the ropes w/ #12 NC State coming to town. If he loses that game, we might not be talking about 1992

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

must you remind us of that dark chapter in CU history?***

Aug 8, 2017, 3:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Made darker by actions of some Clemson "fans".***

Aug 9, 2017, 3:09 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hatfield's Biggest Win?

Aug 8, 2017, 3:43 PM

The day he resigned was a big win for Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the plane ride back from Maryland was the biggest

Aug 8, 2017, 3:51 PM

WIN for the Clemson fan base. From witnesses on the plane ride after the loss @
Maryland shared a story that I will not repeat due to hearsay and I was not a witness
to but if true(which I believe is absolutely true) was the beginning of the end of
Hatfield's tenure here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh come on man! Spill the beans!

Aug 8, 2017, 4:21 PM

It's the internet, who cares if it's true or not ;) Either way it sounds interesting. Do tell.

I'd have to say his

Aug 8, 2017, 3:44 PM

severance package from Clemson

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^***

Aug 8, 2017, 3:48 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Newbie post is a good one!***

Aug 8, 2017, 4:41 PM [ in reply to I'd have to say his ]

Mainly because I was thinking the same thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: I'd have to say his

Aug 8, 2017, 7:36 PM [ in reply to I'd have to say his ]

I actually lol'd. Should be POTD.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beat Coots 3 of 4.***

Aug 8, 2017, 3:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This guy almost got a beat down from his own team on the

Aug 8, 2017, 3:45 PM

plane ride home from a game. I guess surviving would be a win.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

hahahahaha***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: This guy almost got a beat down from his own team on the

Aug 8, 2017, 3:50 PM [ in reply to This guy almost got a beat down from his own team on the ]

After inheriting a roster full of talent from Danny, beating the Sparky era coots 75% of the time was table stakes.

Maybe this?

https://youtu.be/JQpKycp9--w

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

always had the touch. 11/2/98 (Macon) was the best Hatfield***

Aug 8, 2017, 3:50 PM

Best Is The Standard

Re: always had the touch. 11/2/98 (Macon) was the best Hatfield***

Aug 8, 2017, 3:56 PM

I gotta go with Grady Cole Center 10/5/94 that night was legendary...or so my blurred memory tells me lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Howard Built It, Ford Filled It...***

Aug 8, 2017, 3:52 PM

Hatfield dug the grave and and West filled it.***

Aug 8, 2017, 3:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Aug 8, 2017, 4:10 PM

1990 Season bowl victory over Illinois, 30-0 was a good one. Also had a convincing win against Georgia in Death Valley that year. But obviously, it ended badly for Ken at Clemson.

Just my random thoughts here, but I wonder if the administration at the time should catch some heat. After all, they fired Danny Ford, who had been great and then hired an outsider. Why didn't they promote someone from within, or at least someone from the ACC? Hatfield was immediately behind the eight ball (the guy after Danny) and had few or no connections in ACC territory (he had been a Southwest Conference guy most of his playing and coaching career). He probably was indeed a lousy recruiter, but as we've seen with Dabo, it takes a bit of time to establish oneself on the recruitng trails. Not defending Hatfield, just think the guys in the upper echelons of CU also deserve some of the blame. Am I off base here?

Did you forget the Tommy West years?***

Aug 8, 2017, 4:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2017, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Hatfield's Biggest Win? ]

Max Lennon was an idiot!

Aug 9, 2017, 2:26 PM

Bobby Robinson was a golf coach and nothing more. He replaced Hatfield with West simply to be able to say to the Ford supporters, "OK, I gave you a Ford protege and look what you got for it." Then he tucked tail and ran to Atlanta after Jerry Richardson wouldn't give him that job with the Panthers he was leveraging for.

Aug 8, 2017, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Hatfield's Biggest Win? ]

Not off base at all. There surely was some head butting between the administration and Danny Ford at that time, but cooler heads should have prevailed. I put that squarely on the administration,... this should have never happened, and a good manager would have found a way short of such radical surgery. Danny was in probably the top 5% of active winning coaches at the time. The results of his firing were pretty predictable by any thinking person. This set Clemson football back for 3 decades. We were winning at an unprecedented rate and getting all the top recruits, so it was sustainable. When he was fired, all those guys went to FSU, and their run through the 90's and 2000's was a given.

Small minded men in positions of power can do a lot of damage.

I vote for UVA as Kenny's biggest win.

Aug 8, 2017, 4:28 PM

I remember watching the game on TV with a couple of out of state friends who were rooting for us to lose. It was painful, so to get away from them at halftime I grabbed a 12 pack and parked my truck in some woods near our apartment. Me and that 12 pack enjoyed listening to Jim Phillips call the comeback and Welch's winning kick. Went back to my apartment feeling pretty good that day :)

Being gifted all of Danny Ford's players***

Aug 8, 2017, 4:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2017, 4:52 PM

Biggest loss was our first time ever loss to Virginia. That's the one I remember.

Aug 8, 2017, 5:08 PM

How about our blowout loss to Cal in the Citrus? I remember hearing my dad's radio that morning. He listened to the oldies station out of Charlotte. A caller, who was a big Clemson fan, called in and requested California Dreaming. He said if the golden bears think they're going to beat Clemson they're California dreaming. Unfortunately he was wrong and I think that was our biggest bowl loss ever at the time.:(
The Hatfield era is just painful to talk about.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2017, 5:27 PM

This is, imo, why we refrained from wearing Purple for a long time.

I remember the team coming out in Orange and switching to Purple after warm ups.

The Citris Bowl would have went differently had Chester McGlockton not gotten ejected at the beginning of the game.

Aug 8, 2017, 5:32 PM

Wasn't it Buckner that got ejected for punching a guys nuts in a pile up?

Aug 8, 2017, 5:36 PM

Might have been.

My memory slipped and I couldn't find it with a Google search.

I just know Chester went in the 1992 draft and that was the '92 Citris Bowl.

right off the bat too. it sucked sitting in the rain and

Aug 9, 2017, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Hatfield's Biggest Win? ]

watching us get demolished like that. thanks ken.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Aug 9, 2017, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Hatfield's Biggest Win? ]

All the above plus Cal was underated that season. They were probably the number 4 team in the country that year. Just a bad matchup for us.
Those extra days spent traveling to and from Japan to play Duke extended our season too. Hatfield said our team never got the rest they needed after that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2017, 5:01 PM

He dod OK as long as he had Ford's recruits still on the team

Pitiful***

Aug 8, 2017, 5:09 PM

Aug 8, 2017, 5:21 PM

Bowl (1990 season) 30 - 0 win versus the Mighty Illinois Fighting Illini (#16).

Make no mistake, that was Ford's men's pride that made that lopsided win that way.

So, while it was KH's most impressive win, it was Ford's heartbeat that drove that W.

Aug 8, 2017, 5:36 PM

I always hate to come off as a Hatfield apologist, but he recruited well at the first...and if rumors of alums and donors sabatoging his recruiting efforts later were true, well, thats just not fair.

I may have the classes mixed up, but if I remember rightly, the main reason we missed on Tommie Frazier was that we got Patrick Sapp and Dexter Mcleon. While both those guys ended up in the NFL on defense, that does say something about the recruiting potential Hatfield showed early.

Instead of going to the SWAC for a coach, Chuck Reedy could have been promoted. We probably would have ended up on probation again.

Aug 9, 2017, 2:02 PM

I'm not defending the hire of Hatfield though at the time he might have been the best we could get. However if we had gone with Chuck Reedy we may have never seen a forward pass attempted by a Clemson QB again. Chuck got his chance at Baylor and we see how that worked out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His biggest win was making it rain for L.A.

Aug 8, 2017, 5:40 PM

although the

Re: His biggest win was making it rain for L.A.

Aug 8, 2017, 6:12 PM

I remember when it was announced that Hatfield was the man the natives were very restless and were ready to tear the stadium down. If it had not been for Coach Howard (The one that some of you embarrassed yourself with your negative comments about him last week) who walked out and spoke to the crowd that day there is no telling what would have happened. He asked us to give him a chance, I don't think he particularly cared for Hatfield, but his love for Clemson was above the fray.

Now lets discuss Hatfield a little. He never connected with Clemson nor do I think he wanted to. He was never seen in or around the campus or town for anything other than football. He lived a considerable distance from campus. He never was a fit for us.Earlier I stated about connecting and he never really connected with all of his players either.

About Max Lennon as I recollect he was a NC State Alum and there were rumors about his dislike for Ford. Also when we were placed on probation it was said by some that Lennon vowed that Ford would pay for embarrassing him. As you remember The administration did very little to defend us against the hatchet job done by the NCAA.

That was a dark time for us and our football program suffered for years because of what happened during that time.

Re: His biggest win was making it rain for L.A.

Aug 9, 2017, 12:10 PM

Thanks for filling us in. Sounds like this lennon guy was a complete moron.

I have no love lost for Max Lennon as he was president

Aug 9, 2017, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: His biggest win was making it rain for L.A. ]

my years as a student, but I don't think we should talk ill of the dead. Let bygones be bygones.

You should have your credentials revoked

Aug 9, 2017, 8:41 AM

nm

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

you must not be talking to me***

Aug 9, 2017, 3:25 PM

Best Is The Standard

Aug 9, 2017, 6:21 PM

Hatfield was always the biggest mystery to me. He inherits not only a great team but an established brand of football. He wins games. Recruiting players to Clemson should be an easy sell, but instead this guy does such a horrid job in just 3 years that the whole program falls into an abyss for over a decade? Similar programs like Auburn go through coaching changes and they may have a down year or two but the talent still comes in, regardless of the coach, and they're able to stay relevant at a relatively consistent rate. Hatfield comes to Clemson and we just fall off the map. I don't get it.

Aug 9, 2017, 9:36 PM

I don't think he respected Clemson's football brand.

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic